Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Ball and patch with out the patch?

NM50CAL

I was recently talking to a guy at a Bass Pro shop in Las Vegas. He said I didn't need to use a patch when shooting a ball, just lube the ball, pack it down and shoot. I use an inline 50 cal.

Anyone do this? It was the first I had heard of not using a patch with a round ball.

I've never heard of it and don't think it would work. I think the .50 cal balls I've used in the past actually measured .49"

Maxi balls or other conical bullets are designed to be shot with lube and no patch.

Are you limited to shooting round balls by regulation or is it preference? IMO there's much better options to use for hunting, both from an accuracy and energy standpoint.

My favorite load for my TC Hawkens rifle was a 260gr. all lead sabot with 80 grains of pistol pyrodex. With open sights I could hold about a 4" group at 100 yards.

The guy at Bass Pro has NO IDEA what he is talking about.

round ball, and patch. No lube has ever taken the place for patches for round balls.

Many 50 cal. balls measure .495 which allow for the patch.Good luck getting consistency without the patch.

The round balls I use in my 50 cal. are .490. Without a patch mine just roll down the barrel. Better not point your barrel at the ground or you may lose your bullet.:D

Yeah, I would avoid round balls unless you are shooting at archery distances.I shot a moose with two round balls,first through the lungs at eighty yards,second through the heart(30 yds.) and that poor sob was still alive.I found both balls imbedded in the hide on the opposite side,slightly flattened.Deer was better,but still had some run farther than they should.The maxi is a more accurate projectile in my Hawken(similar to Gerald with 4" groups at 100 yds.), and sabots in the Contender is awesome with respectable groupings at 200 yds. using an open sight.

In my vast experience(not) it seems some of the muzzy loaders do not shoot conicals worth a crap. The twist is to slow, I have one like that.

But a ball with out a patch in my muzzy loader would be like me in a certain circumstance with Madonna. Hot dog down a hall way.

Thanks to all for the reply's. I didn't think the info that guy at Bass Pro sounded right. I shoot the round balls in the field just to target practice with. I shoot a sabotted 44 cal. hollow point and am extremely happy so far. Only one no kill in ten years. :D

I don't shoot my sabots until I'm fine tuning for the hunt. Cheaper that way.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back