Badunk vs. Miss September

drtdeer

As the title says, what is you input. I'd like to pick up one of these for this fall. Do you think one if better to have in the pack than the other?

I've used both and I'm not real sure if one is more effective than the other. when I use them I am usually walking with them set up so that I don't have to go through all the gibberish of setting them up when I'm in close. The rump one is easier and less cumbersome to carry. Just tuck it under your armpit with the legs back and you can walk through most timber without getting hung up. Miss September is kind of long but can be very effective. Depends on how you want to hunt with them. If your doing the hiking and multiple set ups I'd go with the Rump one.

With a title like that, and lawnboy's lewd description - surprised Dinkshooter hasn't weighed in on this one..................

Last edited:
With a title like that, and lawnboy's lewd description - surprised Dinkshooter hasn't weighed in on this one..................

I'm sure Dink is out raving this weekend.

I have no idea what they are without Google, so I'm no help.

It's obviously about badunking and Miss September. I don't get the inclusion of "vs" in the phrase. Just sayin.... That's enough outta me.

My wife's outta town and I miss her dearly:D I actually had to google the badunk thing as well. I always referred to it as the rump one. I could see how someone not sure of the context could get all lathered up. He should of put the word decoy in his title at least. Someone might turn me into confessional after those comments and not understanding them.:eek:

Well, I figured if one has used them or are familiar with them, they would understand the title.

I'm sure it does make people look at the thread though. Buth hey, I didn't make up the name, Montana Decoy did:)

Anyway, thanks for previous and forthcoming input.

Well, I figured if one has used them or are familiar with them, they would understand the title.

I'm sure it does make people look at the thread though. Buth hey, I didn't make up the name, Montana Decoy did:)

Anyway, thanks for previous and forthcoming input.

I hope I was of some assistance..................

I'm not sure Fin is interested in a different version of this "contest" that I found online... :D

All depends on how you plan to use your decoy? Personally I rarely ever use one during a calling sequence. To be honest I've never ever called a bull in with one & I've called in a few elk over the years. I'm a real stickler in a "setup" I just don't setup or call from positions where elk can see where sounds by us are coming from, what this does is force curious elk to come within bow range before they can pin point sound location. Elk if given the opportunity will "hangup" the 2nd they get to a location where they feel they should be seeing the source of the calling by us hunters, this is especially so on pressured elk on OTC hunts.

I do my best to setup with visual obstructions in the way in the form of a knob, draw, rock outcroppings, heavy timber/brush etc. This forces elk to come in closer as their curiosity gets the best of them, start setting up in this fashion & you will see very little reason for decoys in a setup!

When I do carry a decoy it's the larger style Miss Sept or the Original, I carry it at times because it's big enough to hide behind if I need to get through an opening & not be spotted in my human figure, I've used it several times over the years for this purpose, it works pretty well without busting elk in most cases that are off in the distance, I do not do this or see the need for it if elk are within 100yds.

ElkNut1

Would it be effective if you set the decoy up ~30-40 yards behind you (in relation to where you think the bull will be coming from)? Would having that visual help from keeping him from hanging up at all?

I'm curious how this all works--I haven't gotten any good experience yet. I've only hunted elk once in September and there wasn't any rut activity to see. I would love to see an "overhead" diagram at how bulls approach, with wind considerations, and how you would construct your setup, Nut.

From Lawnboy's Harlequin prose I figgered I could find badunk in the urban dictionary.

Lo and behold: Badunk

. The sound a large piece of feces makes when it hits the water in a toilet bowl.
2. A large lump of feces.
Person 1: Why were you in the bathroom so long?
Person 2: I just badunked.

*Grunt*...*Badunk

Harley your sick just sick I say. :D

For you doubters the decoys work really well. They can be a pain toting them around but man they can be a life saver. You can't just be sitting right next to them and expect the elk to walk up and you shoot him. It will help draw them in and if your set up out in front at least 40 yards in front you've got the bull's attention on the decoy. They come in and once they see the decoy at less than 40 will approach cautiously or start moving down wind. The gigs up when they get to where they are sideways with decoy and realize it's skinnier than Vict. Secret Model:D There is a lot more to them and ways to use them but all in all I'm sold and willing to deal with the head ache of toting them around. I shot my bull this year using one and couldn't begin to count how many Sweetnectar and I have had many come in using them. The general rule of thumb is set up at least 40 out front and slightly downwind. As most of you know they will generally come in down wind but the beauty of the decoy is that they feel confident once they get a visual and come in on more of a straight line.
Ok enough of my sermon. I'm not giving any more of the Harlequin trade secrets. It's a dirty business but someone has to do it;)

Last edited:
I don't want to hijack the thread from drtdeer & go in a different direction than he was looking for so I'll just respond accordingly!

DDD, the number one reason that guys start depending on decoys is their lack of an efficient setup, this is not a put down towards anyone just a trap that so many hunters fall into. You are correct in your response as to the distances apart from you & a decoy as a lone hunter or a tag team style. The trap is that hunters want to see an elks approach at varying distances & this is what leads to hangups!

If you setup a decoy from your last calling spot (40 yds away) to focus all direction to that spot & silently move 40 yds up & elk come 20-40 yds from your new location that elk is now 60 to 80 yds away from where you last called from & so is the deke! That's a bad setup, you are allowing a bull or cow the luxury to get a visual way down range from your calling spot, often times an elk will give off a single nervous/popping grunt, this is done wanting a visual or identification from the elk they've heard as they look right at the source of the spot they heard the sounds from. This can easily be avoided & still have elk coming in on search mode because of cover they must negotiate to find the source of your calling! Your realistic calling sequence is key to killing elk here or at least have a shot opportunity. Using elk sounds that require response or aid from other elk is part of the equation to ones success in calling curious elk within your effective range!

Hunters make many mistakes every year by calling to elk they can actually see in the distance even though the hunter feels they are in good cover, hunters feel elk should just come running their way if the real elk hear elk sounds or ones flash a deke, if it were really just that simple! (grin)

As I mentioned, we call many elk in every year without dekes, it's all in your setup!!! Good Luck!

ElkNut1

From Lawnboy's Harlequin prose I figgered I could find badunk in the urban dictionary.

Lo and behold: Badunk

. The sound a large piece of feces makes when it hits the water in a toilet bowl.
2. A large lump of feces.
Person 1: Why were you in the bathroom so long?
Person 2: I just badunked.

*Grunt*...*Badunk

LMAO....

www.bethedecoy.com - Elk version....

Just don't include "badunk" in your set up...;)

Lawnboy, nothing wrong with decoy use & yes they can have their place! But don't sell yourself short, try it both ways, use a decoy when cover is sparse & you're hunting alone & try respectable setups when cover allows for it, it will build confidence in you & your calling abilities! You'll see in time that a decoy is really not a must! This can carry right on over into hunting herd bulls where bull sounds are the effective way to take them! Good Luck & Have A Great Day!!!

ElkNut1

I don't think they are a must but they can be an effective tool along with a million other things including lots of luck. No harm no foul just trying to answer his question about the two decoys he asked about as I have used all of the elk decoys Montana Decoy makes successfully. I also have had them mess me up because of the logistics involved. To each their own. But between the two I would go for the rump for ease of carrying.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back