Badlands Scouting Trip - Aug. 2011

Buschy

I was out in the Badlands this weekend scouting for the upcoming bow season in ND. I wasn’t expecting much, as we have had three brutal winters in a row and it has taken a toll on the animals. I wasn’t disappointed either. I found numbers, especially mulies, down SIGNIFICANTLY!! I hope some of this was due to a full moon with less activity and lots of vegetation. We have had more rain than normal this summer and there is extremely tall grass everywhere. I might also mention I didn’t see a single mulie fawn all weekend. I’m no biologist, but that doesn’t seem good for the next few years.

No shortage of coyotes
IMG_0950.jpg

Definitely more whitetails than normal
IMG_0952.jpg

Fog made glassing difficult Saturday morning, but……
IMG_0961.jpg
IMG_0964.jpg
IMG_0966.jpg

I did find this guy. By far the best deer I found over the weekend. He is on the top of the hit list!
IMG_0984.jpg
IMG_0985.jpg
IMG_0990.jpg

Good number of antelope,considering this is the 2nd year with not goat season.
IMG_0998.jpg

Remind you of anything?
IMG_0999.jpg

A nice buck, but missing back forks
IMG_1001.jpg

Pretty country
IMG_1005.jpg
IMG_1006.jpg

I predict a tough year for trying to arrow a good buck in the Badlands this year. I will still be out there chasing them and am optimistic there are a few bruisers hiding somewhere. We really need an easy winter this year.

Good pictures. I have been out a few times around here as well. No fawns to speak of and havent seen very many antelope either.

What is the name of that outcropping? It has to be boob rock or something like that. Too funny.

Dink, that is photo quality even you should aspire to emulate.

Good stuff Buschy....must've been nippy temps.

Dink, that is photo quality even you should aspire to emulate.

P1010591.jpg

You are accusing the wrong person of packing a mule!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do wonder if said rock in my picture can see said soil structure in your picture?

Awesome stuff buschy.

I spent time out there last weekend it seemed like deer numbers were down as well, however most of the deer I saw were does with fawns and very few sporting head gear. I couldn't believe how green everything was, especially up out of the drainage bottoms that are usually nothing more than tinder this year. One of the ranchers I talked to said that about 30% of the crop land got prevent planted this year.

I did see one elk grazing on some public ground but other than that it was a bit discouraging. No real amount of sign to indicate they've been hanging out very heavily outside of the park or farm ground. I guess I'll see what happens when the season opens.

I wish I could have gotten a (good) picture of the small blue warbler size bird I saw hiking on Saturday. It wasn't a mountain or western bluebird and it appeared to have a crest of some sort.

These probably look a bit different than the snowcovered lunar landscape that dink and fin have gotten used to late season in the badlands. Water was everywhere, seeping out of sidehills and pooled in the drains deep in the bottoms.

P1020464.jpg

P1020459.jpg

P1020467.jpg

Buschy,
You found a couple good looking bucks. The one with the cheater has every reason for being at the top of your list. Best of luck!

Back