Yeti GOBOX Collection

Bad kitty

Heard about that and have family near there. Tons of lions in the sierra foothills. Really sad for the family. We have lions all around our neighborhood and only see them on cameras usually. Have to keep eyes on my kids at all times outside.

Very sad indeed. I'm somewhat surprised that neither young man was armed, but perhaps it's more difficult to legally carry in California than I knew.

Guy

Very sad indeed. I'm somewhat surprised that neither young man was armed, but perhaps it's more difficult to legally carry in California than I knew.

Guy
Either kid could have been legally carrying in CA, especially where the attack happened. It's rural and country minded, people hunt turkey/deer in their front yards out there. Kids should have been armed with something being in the woods. A grown man or even two young men are not enough of a threat to stop a mtn lion from considering them prey.

I remember one time a jogger was eaten by a mountain lion in the sierras foothills. Lady had two little kids. Later fish and game tracked it down and whacked it, but it was discovered to have two babies nearby. There was a fundraiser for the mountain lion babies to be taken care of.

I remember one time a jogger was eaten by a mountain lion in the sierras foothills. Lady had two little kids. Later fish and game tracked it down and whacked it, but it was discovered to have two babies nearby. There was a fundraiser for the mountain lion babies to be taken care of.
Sounds about right.

F&G has a few hundred acres a couple miles south of me. They bought it with the excuse of using it for apprentice and junior hunts. It was mysteriously redesignated as having protected species there. The F&G dumps all the problem neighborhood lions there. They deny it even when caught on camera. Your tax dollars at work.

That's a bummer. Wonder why the law enforcement fired shots to scare it away rather than just shooting it?
Didnt want to risk hitting the brother it stood over is my only conclusion. They didnt know he had already been killed.

Id like to hear more about the attack. How exactly it happened from the surviving brother's perspective. Horrible, Im sure, but the city folk need to understand lions arent plush toys. Im curious from a hunters perspective.

That's a bummer. Wonder why the law enforcement fired shots to scare it away rather than just shooting it?

During some BLM (shotgun slug) bear defense training I asked an instructor about his thoughts on how to approach a shot if the bear was already on top of someone mauling them and he pulled me to the side and 100% said the following: "Things happen so fast, just start shooting as quickly and accurately as you possible can because if the bear is on them, they are going to die in seconds anyhow...."

He had been involved in a shooting one year and shot a bear off of one of his coworkers. His co-worked died from the bear but he did in fact kill the bear, but it was just too late.

I can't imagine a cat would be much different than a bear. 2 seconds with a cat would likely have you torn up beyond repair.

Sad deal. I hope his brother recovers.

Back