Caribou Gear

Mountain lion kills shed hunter

Bigjay73

Sad, crazy story. What I can't understand is why didn't they just shoot the damn thing instead of scaring it off? Are they that protected in Ca that even authorities cannot kill one after an attack?

Sad, crazy story. What I can't understand is why didn't they just shoot the damn thing instead of scaring it off? Are they that protected in Ca that even authorities cannot kill one after an attack?

I wonder if the officers tried to shoot the cat and missed?

Also am surprised that neither of the young men who were attacked seem to have been armed. Is it that difficult to legally carry in California?

Very sad incident indeed.

Guy

No LEO wants to send rounds down range next to a human victim in that situation in fear of hitting the victim. The lion was later killed, thankfully.

No real reason to carry a side arm in those areas as this is so rare and they were on private. I’m from that general area and have family on a small ranch near by. There is a metric shit ton of lions in that country living off what few deer are left and livestock. That cat lovers are on the defense already, if they ever actually left their SF apartments it’d be more fitting for them than hunters getting attacked.

I am wondering the same thing.
Jeez.

No LEO wants to send rounds down range next to a human victim in that situation in fear of hitting the victim. The lion was later killed, thankfully.

No real reason to carry a side arm in those areas as this is so rare and they were on private. I’m from that general area and have family on a small ranch near by. There is a metric shit ton of lions in that country living off what few deer are left and livestock. That cat lovers are on the defense already, if they ever actually left their SF apartments it’d be more fitting for them than hunters getting attacked.
Appears to me that there is a real reason to carry a side arm in that area...

Terribly sad for this family. Prayers for all of them. California needs to manage the population of lions. Yes I know that hunting lions was banned many years ago. It needs to be changed.

Last edited:

As this story starts to reveal particulars, the lion may have been still active with the dead brother. Draw your own grisly conclusions.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back