Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Bad factory ammo from Barnes

eshunt

So my brother was in Sportsmans the other day and found some Barnes TTSX ammo for his 300WSM. Got home and opened the boxes to find that all the casing were dinged and dented. Some even had weird stamps on the actual neck of the casings. These look horrible! And I told him not to even try to shoot the ones with the stamp on the necks. Looks like a casing failure waiting to happen. Has quality control gone to @#$% since they were purchased by Remington? Anyone else have these issues with ammo purchased recently? He stopped into a different Sportsmans today and had one of the employees open up the three boxes of ammo they had on the shelf and they were all just as dinged up with stamps on the necks.

I searched but couldn't find a discussion on this yet.

IMG_9228.JPG

IMG_9229.JPG

IMG_9230.JPG

Ill check when I get home I have three or four boxes I haven't opened at all. Strange though, I'm surprised at that extremity of those defects getting through QC.

Most of those dings won’t affect anything. They will blow out when the round is fired.

Most of those dings won’t affect anything. They will blow out when the round is fired.
How do I know which ones are "most"? When I buy factory ammo I expect that ALL the rounds will fire correctly, not just most.

I ask in jest because I reload plenty of ammo with dings and they generally fire ok. But that is also in plinker ammo for 223 or pistols, not hunting rounds. I am more concerned about the stamps on the necks. If this passes QC then what other defects are there I can't see with a quick glance? And at $63/box they should be perfect!

I bought 2 boxes of Barnes for my 300 wsm a couple years ago and some had dings in case but not as bad as some of your pics and none were on the necks

Were they damaged in shipping? Was the box opened?

There is no way that got through quality control at any factory. Most, if not all, of the major manufacturers even have a visual inspection step before packaging.

How do I know which ones are "most"? When I buy factory ammo I expect that ALL the rounds will fire correctly, not just most.

I ask in jest because I reload plenty of ammo with dings and they generally fire ok. But that is also in plinker ammo for 223 or pistols, not hunting rounds. I am more concerned about the stamps on the necks. If this passes QC then what other defects are there I can't see with a quick glance? And at $63/box they should be perfect!
The dings in the main body of the case will blow out- kinda like over lubing a case when sizing. I would be cautious of the one that shows the “v” like mark on the neck. Being factory ammo their QC sucked here. Call barnes up and see what they can do for ya.

Were they damaged in shipping? Was the box opened?

There is no way that got through quality control at any factory. Most, if not all, of the major manufacturers even have a visual inspection step before packaging.
Boxes were sealed. This is not shipping damage at all. He checked separate Sportsmans 3-hrs away and found the same issue. So, the shipment that the Sportsmans in the region received seemed to have the same issue. The employee that opened them up in the store was surprised at how bad the defects were and was pulling them from the shelves. They were going to contact Barnes about it as well.

This is the first box of Barnes ammo that I have seen come from the factory that has used a "Remington" stamp on the actual ammo case and not "Barnes". Seems like the QC went way downhill for this batch of ammo.

He will be in contact with Barnes. Because its ammo, Sportsmans won't give him a refund.

You also have two different type of primers. There appears to be 2 different size lettering stamped into the cases as well. Those would go into the trash.

I'd put money on someone at the store got ahold of that ammo box. I highly doubt QC would allow that, could be wrong though.

I’m willing to bet that got through Barnes QC! I’ve seen numerous errors in Barnes ammo. 7-08 ammo with 243win mixed in was the last one.
Call/email Barnes and send them the pics. I would hope they make it right. That’s ridiculous QC!

Anybody know how Barnes operates? Is it
its own standalone factory or just a brand/line coming out of a consolidated factory? I’d be suspicious if they are being fully absorbed into the conglomerate. I love my old remingtons, but they downgraded their brand and then did the same to marlin too. I hope Vista Outdoors, who bought the ammo biz, keeps quality up. And I hope Ruger brings Marlin back to life.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back