Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bad factory ammo from Barnes

He said the boxes were sealed.
Yeah, boxes were sealed and a similar issue was found with ammo at a store 3 hrs away.

My first thought was that someone had sold Sportsmans some crappy reloads. But they were in a sealed box, not that someone wouldn't be able to fake that too.

Have the package and lot #s to use when he contacts Barnes. So if they are bogus, Barnes should be able to tell him.

How do I know which ones are "most"? When I buy factory ammo I expect that ALL the rounds will fire correctly, not just most.

I ask in jest because I reload plenty of ammo with dings and they generally fire ok. But that is also in plinker ammo for 223 or pistols, not hunting rounds. I am more concerned about the stamps on the necks. If this passes QC then what other defects are there I can't see with a quick glance? And at $63/box they should be perfect!
I think you and golfer are both right. Those dings on the shoulders should simply blow out. The mark on the neck, that's a different story and I haven't a clue what they might do. Your playing with pressure and even if nothing goes wrong, good chance the cases won't be worth diddly. Doesn't sound like he reloads and if he's buying factory ammo with those bullet's nobody is probably loading for him. For me those go right back to Sportsmans!

I have read where lot's of business's don't do QC anymore. Instead they send out the product and let the buyer do it for free. But lot's of these things are relatively expensive, tell him to go back to Sportsman's with that stuff.

I had a similar experience with Federal Premium Ammo a few years back. Four bad boxes of 270 WSM. Couldn't believe it passed quality control. Federal seemed genuinely concerned, and they sent me a prepaid shipping box to return the stuff for inspection. Once they received the bad ammo, they shipped me four replacement boxes of 270 WSM with bullets of my choice. Turnaround was pretty fast and I was satisfied how Federal handled it.

Hopefully Barnes does the same.

Several years ago I got a part of a “bad lot” of ammo that misfired regularly. Barnes sent me new boxes.

As bad as those necks are, i feel there is a decent chance they may not even chamber.

Contact Barnes.

Anybody know how Barnes operates? Is it
its own standalone factory or just a brand/line coming out of a consolidated factory? I’d be suspicious if they are being fully absorbed into the conglomerate. I love my old remingtons, but they downgraded their brand and then did the same to marlin too. I hope Vista Outdoors, who bought the ammo biz, keeps quality up. And I hope Ruger brings Marlin back to life.
So Vista Outdoors bought the ammo line and Sierra bought Barnes bullet line?

So Vista Outdoors bought the ammo line and Sierra bought Barnes bullet line
So Vista Outdoors bought the ammo line and Sierra bought Barnes bullet line?
OP indicated that Remington had bought Barnes. Subsequently Vista has bought the Remington Ammo business. But after reading your post I too read another article and it seems that Sierra peeled off the Barnes ammo business and so that hasn't gone to Vista.

Round and round we go.... LOL

OP indicated that Remington had bought Barnes. Subsequently Vista has bought the Remington Ammo business. But after reading your post I too read another article and it seems that Sierra peeled off the Barnes ammo business and so that hasn't gone to Vista.

Round and round we go.... LOL
Did they (Sierra)buy just the bullet line though? And sell the ammo line?

All of it.

Clarus’ Executive Chairman, Warren Kanders, commented: “The Barnes acquisition caps off our strategy to build a leader in specialty premium bullets and ammunition.

Clarus Corp is the owner of Sierra. In addition to two great bullet and ammo makers, they own ski equipment and skin care products. Go figure.

Long thread on The Fire about this. Apparenty all things Barnes went to Sierra, including ammo. It is made in the Mona, UT plant.

That is piss poor QC. Or should I say it appears it is non existent QC. I've never seen expensive factory ammo that bad. I'd contact the company they will make it right I assume.

I recon that’s what happens when you buy from a company(Remington) going through bankruptcy. It’s extra sad when the company isn’t going bankrupt because they suck, but rather because they were purchased by a holding company whose intent from the beginning was to drain the company of all equity and value, then file bankruptcy and leave the lenders(and share holders) holding the bag.

During the bankruptcy managers and probably even lower level employees are doing everything they can to keep their job for as long as possible and let the new owners(if there is one) pick up the pieces. Can’t really blame them. They likely couldn’t purchase any new raw materials, and likely weren’t going to get any paychecks once they couldn’t send ammo out the door.

I picked up a new box of TTSX and they were all seconds. Every casing had dings. Looking to switch to Nosler E-tip.

I picked up a new box of TTSX and they were all seconds. Every casing had dings. Looking to switch to Nosler E-tip.
Every box of Remington PSP I've bought for the past few years even before their bankruptcy has been a little mushy on the lead. I always inspect every shell I buy. I get a piece of sand paper and clean up the end. I believe their seating dies are set wrong but this has gone on for years.
Once cleaned they work properly out at range
On the other hand Winchester PSP loads are fine on the soft end.
My RCBS dies can be adjusted to not do this. But the machine dies Remington uses need a little more "relief" at the tip to not mash things.
Definitely a QC problem.

That's really wild. I've seen some 556 surplus look like that, but I don't think I've seen hunting ammo ever look like that.

Well, from YEARS of experience we all have seen QC issues with EVERYTHING.
Some a little picky about this brand or that brand. And as we all know "Opinions" well everyone has them. Was "It" made on Monday or Friday, was the QC person happy or sad, not in the mood that day.
Maybe the reason machinery is taking over from people.
I have a diesel car and truck in my collection, I drive a bunch. Woa you say "Pollution" well truth is I get better mileage than most other vehicles, mine last 1000s of miles longer and taken care of they pollute less per mile.
Now I expect the naysayers, but most country's vehicles are diesel and manual trans. Cost of fuel is factors in this.
So if you get a batch of something, stop expecting "Perfection" deal with it in a reasonable manner. If you don't like something, don't mean the next person won't.
I just bought my second Howa Rifle.
Why would you do that you say. Check history, Howa made ALL "Weatherby" Rifles at one time and people swore they were the best, and paid a premium for them.
Another example is my Jeep, 1978 Cj7, oh my you say, well I could go buy a new one but let's look at that. I break down miles from anywhere, no cell service and I get out an figure out how to get going again, you break down in your new Jeep and you may have to walk because a "Censor" was bad.
Everything has its own place. Even bullet's, we have our likes and dislikes.
Look at the person next to you, are they the same as you thought they were after a time? Oh but that opens up a whole nuther area🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Use what you like, put you money where your mouth is and move on - not everyone is going to agree with you.

It's called life.

Well, from YEARS of experience we all have seen QC issues with EVERYTHING.
Some a little picky about this brand or that brand. And as we all know "Opinions" well everyone has them. Was "It" made on Monday or Friday, was the QC person happy or sad, not in the mood that day.
Maybe the reason machinery is taking over from people.
I have a diesel car and truck in my collection, I drive a bunch. Woa you say "Pollution" well truth is I get better mileage than most other vehicles, mine last 1000s of miles longer and taken care of they pollute less per mile.
Now I expect the naysayers, but most country's vehicles are diesel and manual trans. Cost of fuel is factors in this.
So if you get a batch of something, stop expecting "Perfection" deal with it in a reasonable manner. If you don't like something, don't mean the next person won't.
I just bought my second Howa Rifle.
Why would you do that you say. Check history, Howa made ALL "Weatherby" Rifles at one time and people swore they were the best, and paid a premium for them.
Another example is my Jeep, 1978 Cj7, oh my you say, well I could go buy a new one but let's look at that. I break down miles from anywhere, no cell service and I get out an figure out how to get going again, you break down in your new Jeep and you may have to walk because a "Censor" was bad.
Everything has its own place. Even bullet's, we have our likes and dislikes.
Look at the person next to you, are they the same as you thought they were after a time? Oh but that opens up a whole nuther area🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Use what you like, put you money where your mouth is and move on - not everyone is going to agree with you.

It's called life.
You are Muley/Elk stalker aren't you? mtmuley

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back