Backpack?

duckhunt

Now that Im researching western hunts Im also trying to learn about the gear. What backpack would be recommended for mountian hunts? Ive read some threads on here about some packs but I know nothing about them.

Just to throw out a few of the "top" names for backpack hunting packs: Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Stone Glacier, and Paradox. Lots of other packs out there that will work and work well. These companies seem to get the most bandwidth on hunting sites and were largely designed for hunting.

Be forewarned of the sticker shock, none of these packs are cheap. That said, mine from one of these companies is a bargain IMO. Fit, comfort, and durability make it so for me.

Noone should answer that question without a question.

The term 'Mountain hunt' is vague. What is more important is the type of hunt(species, location, time of year), amount of gear that you will need to pack at one time(trip day length), style of hunt (car camp, lodge hunt, guided hunt, DIY full bivy or DIY bivy spike camp etc.).

Those questions answered could bring a variance in answers from a fanny pack to a 6500ci pack with overload feature for carrying meat. Also prices ranging from $50-$800.

Let us know what your 'hopeful planning' consists of and people will be able to help you more than a strict blind brand loyalty suggestion like 'badlands sacrifice'.

I will be using the pack for archery elk hunting. Im thinking just day trips to start until im more experienced. But I also want one good enough for packing a animal out if luck would bring one my way.

I've had a few Mystery Ranch packs (still have a metcalf), a Kifaru, and Stone Glacier Solo, on top of a bunch of backpacking bags (Arc'teryx, Lowe Alpine, REI, etc.). For your intended purpose I'd put Stone Glacier at the top of the heap--just my opinion and personal preference.

I'd gladly hunt the rest of my life with an MR, Kifaru, or Stone Glacier pack.

Back