Backpack list help

Lightning, strong winds, and lack of water would be three good ones :)

Nothing scares me worse than lightning. Been in some ripper storms in CO. Don't have to worry about that much anymore though. :D Can't say I've seen lightning in the last 6 years.

Holes? Looks pretty good to me.

Couple things that stand out.
First Aid Kit? is your brother bringing one? Mine weighs about a pound or a bit more and goes with me every time I leave the truck, be it fishing or hunting. It includes a few survival things like a space blanket, fire starter, etc, as well as first aid stuff.

I'd bring a few more shells. If you're sharing a rifle I would bring at least 10-12 plus a gun full.

Still would bring rain gear and a puffy in lieu of the heavy "waterproof" coat. You'll be soaked if you hike in the rain in an insulated coat.

One thing I didn't think about is a pack cover. Some people get by without one, but I prefer to keep my pack/gear as dry as possible. A pack can soak up a lot of water. Also ruined a camera one time due to a wet pack.

Found this deal on a filter... I have the full size version, but will be throwing down $20 for this one. Heck of a deal and very versitile.
http://lawsonequipment.com/Sawyer-Mini-Water-Filter-Kit-p1037.html

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback, we do need to look at the fist aid kit more. The bullets are another thought, as long as I can remember I can't remember shooting more than 2 bullets per tag... Usually just one, my brother is the same way. With that said it would make for a pretty bad hunt if the gun got bumped and the scope was off and we had to dial it back in and hunt with about 10 bullets left between the 2 of us.

We are really thinking about the 1 gun vs 2 guns. Has anyone done this before in this type of hunt? If you spot one and want to have one person circle around a ridge line for a couple miles while the other person continues to glass this seams like a recipe for disaster; however, we have not done this type of hunt before and may end up being next to each other the entire time. If this is the case it would work perfect... Not sure what to think?

My hunting partner and I went the one rifle route on a backpack hunt 8 mi. in last fall. We've done it on bear hunts too. If it's a proven rifle that you know will hold zero it's not a huge risk in my mind. That said, since you don't know the particular lay of the land where you're headed and exactly how you'll hunt it I'd bring one each.

All a matter of risk... I've been on lots of trips with only one rifle for two hunters, to include remote flyout trips here in AK for sheep and moose. We generally have a spare rifle at the landing strip, but it could be a days hike away. We never split up.

I would second and third the vote to look elsewhere for a down jacket rather than Cabela's. The mountaineering/ski industry has the fabric technology and lightweight factors covered and produce a really quality product; check out backcountry.com; there are good down jackets on there for around $150+ that will work well for your hunt.

Also, I use the Sawyer mini filter, and it works well. Very light, comes with several Platypus-styled bags, and has kept me going for several seasons now. I have a small vial of purification tablets in case I need to have water without the option of boiling, or I damage the filter, but have never had to use them. The 12 tabs take up the space similar to an AA battery. Really small.

The nice thing is you have months to prepare, and I would consider working your way up to hiking/stairclimbing, whatever you can do, with a 60-65 pound pack. Focus on becoming a set of giant lungs on top of the strongest legs you can train for. Endurance and the ability to keep chugging along will be your best friend.
By the time the hunt arrives, you will have dialed in every ounce and piece of equipment, as well as trained with a HEAVIER pack than you will hunt with. And, with each passing day on the hunt, you lose the weight of that day's food...lots to consider, but all of it is fun stuff, and makes the hunt that much more enjoyable.

Good for for you guys (OP and canoe country) for thinking about this stuff carefully before you go. Lots don't.

Thanks For the idea of the tablets, I may take a look at a different jacket although I really like my new waterproof Yukon but I haven't field tested it yet but the reviews are great and it is really light weight yet very insulated.

We do plan on straying at one base camp but have 3 alternate camps identified within about 1.5 miles that have great glossing areas and what we believe will be water sources near by. With this said our hunting pack should only be about 20lbs. Max per person which will be much easier.

The exercise is on its way, started doing 3 miles at 3 miles an hour with a 58 lb pack on the steepest incline on the treadmill. I plan on doing this a few times a week for the next 8 months which should be pretty good prep.

When it comes to the hunt itself, we have about 10 times more research into that, spoke to a lot of wardens and biologists, and have a spot dialed in where we the stats and the folks we talked to both attest to having a lot of very big deer. We also believe we will be away from most hunters and very few if any outfitters which is hard to do for out of state (no wilderness area hunting permitted). I think We are looking forward to this hunt more than any other hunt we have been on and that is saying a lot. I have done a lot but Outdoor Junkie has done 3 times as much as I have, glad to have him on my team!

Thanks for all the great advice guys! Very much appreciated! As an FYI, I put a 80 pound bag of rock salt inside 2 industrial garbage bags and then strapped it into the game carrier on my frame pack and walked on the treadmill on an incline prior to our antelop hunt this fall. The one thing I did notice is that I started having some discomfort about half way up my lower back, but I probably had hiked about 20 miles with this weight on my frame. On the positive side, I was able to carry my antelope buck (probably 80-90 pounds field dressed) out 2.1 miles without stopping to sit or take the pack off. I didn't need to bend over to take some pressure off of my back a couple times, but cardio and strength wise, this was an excellent exercise. I have since lowered the weight to a 50 pound bag of rock salt, which is a LOT easier and bothers my back much less. With a 50 pound bag, you can transfer the majority of the weight to your hips, but with a 80 pound bag you end up with at least half of that weight ( or more) on your shoulders. For me, this is just too much weight for my back to deal with for every day training. I'm going to push things as hard as I can with the 50 pound bag+ frame = ~ 55#), which should be an almost direct reflection of what I'll be carrying for the hike in. I'd like to train with more weight, but for me , it's just too much compression on the spine.

Thanks again for all the advice guys!
Chuck

Thanks for all the great advice guys! Very much appreciated! As an FYI, I put a 80 pound bag of rock salt inside 2 industrial garbage bags and then strapped it into the game carrier on my frame pack and walked on the treadmill on an incline prior to our antelop hunt this fall. The one thing I did notice is that I started having some discomfort about half way up my lower back, but I probably had hiked about 20 miles with this weight on my frame. On the positive side, I was able to carry my antelope buck (probably 80-90 pounds field dressed) out 2.1 miles without stopping to sit or take the pack off. I didn't need to bend over to take some pressure off of my back a couple times, but cardio and strength wise, this was an excellent exercise. I have since lowered the weight to a 50 pound bag of rock salt, which is a LOT easier and bothers my back much less. With a 50 pound bag, you can transfer the majority of the weight to your hips, but with a 80 pound bag you end up with at least half of that weight ( or more) on your shoulders. For me, this is just too much weight for my back to deal with for every day training. I'm going to push things as hard as I can with the 50 pound bag+ frame = ~ 55#), which should be an almost direct reflection of what I'll be carrying for the hike in. I'd like to train with more weight, but for me , it's just too much compression on the spine.

Thanks again for all the advice guys!
Chuck

I suggest training with a lower amount of weight. With the higher weights you'll just end up straining joints and upping the wear and tear. Start out low and gradually work up but no need to work up to the 80 lb range. Not a bad idea to put that much weight in your pack to see what it feels like and to make strap / belt adjustments. But save your joints for the hunt.

In looking at your list I do see a hole, at least I do if it was my list. I do not see any method of emergency communication. I am not sure where you are hunting but for my part I want a last ditch method of contacting the outside world if all goes wrong. I carry a PLB and my partner carries a SPOT. It is always on me along with fire starter, GPS, compass and map...always.

For what it is worth I would want two rifles. I would never go with one.

HD

Thanks Hatchie, we will look into the SPOT device, we have used one several times when we do remote canoe trips about 8 hours north of the Canadian border, good call!

So the one rifle vs two debate remains about 50/50.... I think the final decision will come once we have our final pack weight with 1 or 2 guns decided.

If you are going to look at the SPOT, I'd also suggest you consider a Delorme In Reach. It allows two way texting via satellites and the plans have become quite reasonable IMO. I used one on 3 trips this year and it never missed sending or receiving a message. My wife purchased for me and it gives her peace of mind. I mostly just send the preset "I am okay" message a couple of times a day.

Burn fat while Hiking

Thanks Minnesota Hunter.

5. Take a look at your meals. consider replacing lunch with a couple of snacks. I ussually shoot for 1800-1900 calories per day, I can sustain that for quite a while. My meal plan is actually in another tab on the spreadsheet, with detailed calorie, protein, fat and carbs detail. I was planning on 3,000-3,500 calories per day. I think I could defintiely cut this to 2,500, but I'd be concerned about running out of gas if I was at 1,800-1,900 calories. I'm a pretty big guy (6'1" and 200 pounds). The goal is to get to 185-190 before the trip, but with my frame, I'd be very lean at that weight. Anyone else have feedback here?

http://www.bonniend.com/uncategorized/keto-adaptation-benefits-backpacking/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread64492.html

Here are a couple very informative links and are a good way to cut weight. I hunted this way this last archery season, and was already keto-adapted several months before the season. I have never felt better while hunting, we were averaging about 7 miles of hiking a day for two weeks straight hunting from 5000-8500ft in the high country. My hunting partners would have to stop every few hours/miles and put down a peanut butter sandwich or protein bar. I just packed a small bag of almonds and some jerky and wouldn't have even thought to eat if they hadn't stopped.

Another thing about ketosis is that you are exerting less energy digesting a bunch of carbs and turning them into energy so your body can exert more energy into muscle recovery. I felt great every day and never got sore all season, my buddy who is in much better shape than myself was beat after about 5 days, pounding anti-inflammatory on a regular basis. I am 5'6" and 200lbs so I have plenty to burn.

People have mixed feelings on this kind of thing but unless someone has tried it I wouldn't give their opinion a lot of consideration. Any ways its just something to think about. If you want a good read about this look for the book the primal blueprint I had someone give it to me and it is a very good book.

If you are going to look at the SPOT, I'd also suggest you consider a Delorme In Reach. It allows two way texting via satellites and the plans have become quite reasonable IMO. I used one on 3 trips this year and it never missed sending or receiving a message. My wife purchased for me and it gives her peace of mind. I mostly just send the preset "I am okay" message a couple of times a day.

The wifey would love for me to get this. She didn't grow up in the old school of being gone a week with no contact....gets worried after one day..lol.

The wifey would love for me to get this. She didn't grow up in the old school of being gone a week with no contact....gets worried after one day..lol.
Just speaking from my experience in my home, but "happy wife = happy life". A happy wife makes kitchen passes much easier to get...

My wife is just fine with the "I'm okay" preset message. In the message it sends her a link to a map showing her where I am. Pretty cool stuff. I did not send on one morning as we slept in because I sent the preset "Critter down" message the night before. She didn't get worried, but did ask why I didn't send one... :rolleyes:

Having read the thread from when it started, and not wanting to go back to re-read the various lists, a nagging thought.........Gun maintenance materials may have been left off the packing list??? Various methods to get to full function and clean, just make sure that if the gun is unceremoniously dumped into the sandy creek bed, that you can get it back to full function......especially if there is a shared gun situation with no fall back option other than to hike back to the trailhead.

Thanks for the info guys! We'll look into the Delorme or Spot device. I've used SPOT devices on several occasions for far northern Ontario canoe trips. I'll have to check into the Delorme as well. Quite honestly, I'm not sure if we'll have cell reception or not up where we are headed. If we do have cell reception, then this isn't needed. I'll ask the biologist and warden their thoughts.

As far as the gun cleaning kit is concerned, it's probably going to be an item we keep in the truck. We're leaning toward carrying 2 rifles, so a cleaning kit in the truck will be the emergency back up if something happened to both guns. If we only bring one gun, we will add a small cleaning kit.

Thanks for all the advice! Hopefully some others can use the list I assembled for their own trip down the road.

Chuck

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back