Anyone hunt upland birds with a backpack?

AlaskaHunter

I hunt upland with a pack instead of a vest.
Not the backpack my avatar, but a big multi-day pack
Granite Gear 60 liter pack weighing 2.2 pounds.

Sometimes, especially early season in Hells Canyon. Need to carry too much water for the girls. When it’s cooler I get by with the 100oz bladder in my Quillomene vest.

Shoot a couple rounds of skeet with your pack on. You’ll look dumb but hit more birds.

If the birds are wearing a backpack I let em go ! Thay are a rare breed !...Couldn't resist. I wore a pack on nearly every type of hunt.

Fake news. I've been shooting with a pack for 40 years..

I do like the 60 liter capacity as I can haul tons of gear, water, etc.
and still plenty of room to pack back a shed antler, etc.
I tend to agree, started hunting as a kid in Alaska, better to have and not need was kinda drilled into my head. Learned to shoot with a pack on also learned how to get out of it quiet and quick. Never use the waist belt carrying a standard load. We moved to Oregon and quickly fell in love with Hells Canyon and a few other places where people often say “I aint going in there. About 8 years ago I fell and broke my leg Chukar hunting In hells canyon. Went lite that day, No fire starter, just enough water, no extra layers and dressed to move hard at cold temps, just a quick jaunt, only figured to climb 1500 feet or so and then cut across. Easy Peasy. Had to self extract because I got too cold to wait for help. Could have used a little more gear that day.
Last weekend Catherine and I on a 9 mile hike at altitude. I carry my elk hunting pack with plenty extra. Happened on a group that had suffered a knee injury. Out comes the knee brace I always have, hope he sends it back to me.
I kill chukar better than most, killed 46 or 47 elk, some moose and bears and whole lotta deer. I’ll bet better than half were killed while I still had my pack on. like anything I guess it boils down to what you’ve practiced and what the country demands.

Fake news. I've been shooting with a pack for 40 years..

I do like the 60 liter capacity as I can haul tons of gear, water, etc.
and still plenty of room to pack back a shed antler, etc.

I can see how you could be good at it/ I just have only done it a few times so it messes me up. I bet if I did it more often it wouldn’t be an issue.

I'm intrigued. I've tried it very little and found it cumbersome to shoulder the shotgun. But probably didn't give it enough time to get used to it. I hate stuffing extra layers and so much extra water in a vest, that many hunts a backpack would be more convenient. I've balked at the high tech upland vests that allow you to carry a bit more but cost 3x as much as the nice backpacking daypack I already own did. I think I'm gonna give it a try at the range and this fall.

As with lots of shooting, practice matters. Like you said, you’ve been doing it 40 years. Lotta practice. I’m assuming it took some time for you to get used to it. Most folks probably are uncomfortable with it right away, but with enough practice can probably get pretty proficient.

I hunt every weekday during the Montana season since I am retired.
I hunt with a pack instead of vest for many reasons.
I like Granite Gear Crown 60---60 liters and has lasted a decade of hunting.
IMG_0045.JPG
For pants, I hunt lots of wet cattails and like Grundens Commercial rain pants at $99.

For a shell/raincoat I like Simms which is often thought of as only a wader company,
but they also make quality rain gear.

When hunting hawthorn/briar country, I like Filson tin chaps.
Mine are over 40 years old and still going strong.

For water, I simply re-use soda bottles...a big 2-liter bottle for hot September hunts
and smaller 12-oz bottles for cooler/shorter hunts. Lightweight and essentially free.
For a dog bowl I simply use a plastic bowl.

The other item I always carry are Garmin inreach for emergency text messaging, a first aid kit,
2 working headlamps, a compass, and bear spray.

I wear a backpack as well. I’ve never had an issue. Usually I’m packing water and snacks for the kids and dog, along with my ammo and some first aid gear.

Tell you what folks; I’ve two semi custom rifles; a nice collection of #1s; a couple of dandy sxs shotguns and an ugly as sin M4. My Simms jacket is the single best piece of outdoor sporting equipment I own. Works great for bird hunting.
When I was guiding ptarmigan in Alaska I carried spray as well, didn’t bother with a handgun, figured we had enough shotguns and dogs around. Should be thinking about spray in Montana. I need some new Filson chaps but I don’t want to look like a rookie.

When my son was too young to walk with me pheasant hunting I’d just put him in my elk pack. He loved it. Had a view right over my shoulder for everything going on. Him moving around back there trying to see what’s going on messed up way more shots than a shoulder strap ever could. Did that until he was about 65lbs and then told him he had to start walking.

Tell you what folks; I’ve two semi custom rifles; a nice collection of #1s; a couple of dandy sxs shotguns and an ugly as sin M4. My Simms jacket is the single best piece of outdoor sporting equipment I own. Works great for bird hunting.
When I was guiding ptarmigan in Alaska I carried spray as well, didn’t bother with a handgun, figured we had enough shotguns and dogs around. Should be thinking about spray in Montana. I need some new Filson chaps but I don’t want to look like a rookie.
Tie ‘em to you rear bumper and drag em a bit

School-type backpack with thin straps, field vest, and bino harness. Not that binos do much good for upland game but I’m so used to carrying them it feels weird not to.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back