Backcountry rifle weight?

I’m curious what you guys are toting that weigh 10 plus lbs.?

I just weighed 4 rifles and the heaviest were 8.4 and 8.5. They were both magnums with scopes, slings, and 3 rounds of ammo.

But can you carry the pack for longer and hike faster?

Unloaded- faster, farther, longer.
Loaded- MAYBE faster especially with loads under 45lbs, probably not once the weight is 65lbs+. DEFINITELY not longer once the weight has become noticeable. From 65lbs to 100lbs, it feels like it always did. It takes a toll on the muscles and cartilage around my knees, hips and low back. I’m not sure that up to 65lbs significantly impacts how far or fast I can go, but definitely impacts how it feels, and it takes a mental toll. From 65-85lbs every pound takes a little bit out of the speed and distance. I haven’t carried over 85lbs since I lost the weight, but 85lbs feels about the same as before, and 100lbs back then was about all I could really handle. Distance and speed were probably about half of what I could do at 85lbs.

Unloaded, climbing is easier. Loaded I would say it’s still about the same. You gotta remember, I was stronger when I was heavier. That might not be the case for everyone. A little over 20lbs of that weight loss was lean. It might have been possible to keep that muscle at a lower bf when I was younger, but I just couldn’t hang on to everything while staying lean, and haven’t managed to regain any either.

I just weighed 4 rifles and the heaviest were 8.4 and 8.5. They were both magnums with scopes, slings, and 3 rounds of ammo.

Howa Golden Bear(illegal copy of a Sako L-61)30-06 with Meopta scope in steel Sako rings. The stock is incredible dense. Probably some Japanese wood species. The Sako version is probably 8lbs or less, and this would be too with a reasonable stock on it.

Rem 700 Police Special .308 in McMillan stock with Sightron S-Tac. Comes in under 10lbs with a lighter scope. I always used Doctor 6X42 prior to this season.

So I have a custom 6.5 X 284 that I built. Started out about 18 pounds and a 30" barrel. Shot great. Then I took the barrel down to 26" and 11#. Shot great. Then I went to a different contour and 22" and 9.2#. Gun still shoots great. I've since shot a few guns that were in the 6# range. They shoot different than a 9# gun. Recoil is quite a bit more. Muzzle flip is more dramatic. It is just a different beast. Accuracy will be affected for sure. Does it change enough for hunting standards? That is up to you. Now I also have a Tikka T3 superlite in .308 that comes in about 7# scoped. It seems to be a good balance. The gun isn't going to shoot 1000 yards but I don't need it too. The gun recoils nice and smooth and prints 1/2MOA all day with handloads. It is for sure more difficult to get this gun steady than my 9.2# gun. If you can't hit what you came to kill then does it matter how light your gun is?

Quick story. Now I went on a desert sheep hunt with my buddy this year. Watched him miss sheep at less than 300 yards 6 times and multiple other times he couldn't get steady with his "lighter" gun. I brought my heavier (9.2#) gun out and he hit a sheep with his next shot because he could get steady with a little heavier gun. It is much easier to get a heavier gun steady when you are loosing your crap on top of a hill in front of a big animal. We have all seen it. Been there....done that.... Light is cool to carry but to light is really tough to get steady in hunting rest conditions. Plan accordingly.

I was going to build a super light custom gun this spring. After messing with guns this past year (probably 500+ shots down range) I will not be building a super light hunting gun. Might still build a gun but it will be much heavier than I was originally thinking. Probably in the 7.5# range instead of close to 6#.

You had me second-guessing myself so I took it out and weighed it. Slightly less than I was remembering, at 10.1.
.300 Wby mag, Winchester Classic action, Brux #3 contour at 26" with straight flutes, McMillan Winchester Hunter, Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50

Here's a pic of it. ;)

Packedit.jpg

I have carried a 10 lb. rifle a lot of miles in the mountains. Heavy barrel Sendero, I never considered it a problem, but I have found that I prefer 8 - 8 1/2. Now a days I carry my rifle in my hand a lot, and much prefer the lighter rifle for that. I have had a very light rifle-under 7 lbs all up I think, I never weighed it, and found that I didn't shoot it well when it mattered.
I have hunted goats a fair amount and have found that you are usually shooting with a decent rest and can get away with a lighter rifle.

If I was going on a hunt and it really mattered to me, I would take the rifle that I was most familiar with, and had confidence in. If that rifle was 10+ lbs. I would still take it sheep or goat hunting over a new lighter rifle.

I was also curious and weighed my most used rifles. One is 10.6 (300 WM sendero), another 9.1 (28 Nosler HC), and the last 8 (6.5). I don’t really think about the weight of each, but instead focus on their construction and my confidence in them. Maybe I should but I choose to cut lbs. on other stuff.

7.25 lbs loaded...with a "heavy" scope...closest thing I got to a pic of the rifle with the elk, doh!

gCc9EOg.jpg

I have two rifles that I elk hunt with. A custom model 70 winchester in 300 ultra that weighs 7 3/4lbs without ammo. I just bought a Howa Alpine that goes a hair over 7lbs with ammo all up.
For me once a rifle gets under 7 lbs it becomes difficult to shoot accurately under field conditions.
Less weight in the rifle is noticeable as less weight in your pack, boots etc.
Carrying a 9lb+ rifle in the mountains is insane IMO.

My rifles are all between 7.5 and 8.25 and for me I've found that to be the sweet spot when it comes to carrying and shooting.

While I don't have any current pics of it, here's a few from over the years, with the new scope I put on it it's about 9.5 lbs. It seems to get the job done. Here's a fraction of the game that rifle has taken in my grandpas hands and now mine.

Attachments

• 20191102_195627.jpg
    20191102_195627.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 12
  • 20191102_195620.jpg
    20191102_195620.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9
  • 20191102_195730.jpg
    20191102_195730.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • 20191102_195646.jpg
    20191102_195646.jpg