Backcountry hunting and extra ammo?

Deckerp

Curious to hear how many rounds you guys take with you on a back country elk hunt without pack animals. How about just a day hunt? Considering the effort to get pack weight down I was thinking 4 rounds seemed reasonable but perhaps that’s not adequately taking into account possible what-if scenarios. I won’t be using the rifle for any others opportunistic hunting such as grouse and this hunt is in Colorado without the threat of Grizzly bears. What say you, 4 is enough or should I take my ammo pouch with another 6 - the 30.06 cartridges I am shooting come in at 1.3oz a piece.

I carry 4 with my single shot handguns.

Cylinder full plus a reload if I’m hunting with a wheelgun.

I like 8.. round numbers. 4 (seams like what I'd most likely need) times 2 for "just in case." Weight is an issue out in the backcountry, I get that. When you shoot one with the first round, just be happy at your crack shot and preparedness and carry the 7 bullets back to the truck with a smile! Happy hunting hombre.

Really wouldn't worry about weight of something that is so Essential..along with having the rifle fully loaded (4),I usually have another 6-8 in my pack and 2-3 in my bino harness.

I carry a full mag plus a box as others have said if I fall or Drop my rifle and need To check my zero I don’t want to have to come back out to get more ammo

Usually 10 or so. 3 or 5 in my mag (depending on which rifle I have) and 5-7 in a pouch and maybe a straggler or two in my pocket.

Had my clip fall out of my Tikka on an elk hunt without knowing it, which turned my bolt action into a single shot. Now I carry an extra clip plus another 6 rounds. Like deciding whether to buy a 12-pack or a case, I figure it's always better to have it and not need it then the other way around.

Curious to hear how many rounds you guys take with you on a back country elk hunt without pack animals. How about just a day hunt? Considering the effort to get pack weight down I was thinking 4 rounds seemed reasonable but perhaps that’s not adequately taking into account possible what-if scenarios. I won’t be using the rifle for any others opportunistic hunting such as grouse and this hunt is in Colorado without the threat of Grizzly bears. What say you, 4 is enough or should I take my ammo pouch with another 6 - the 30.06 cartridges I am shooting come in at 1.3oz a piece.

Most of my hunts I only needed 1 or 2... but when I needed more I need 8+

Mag plus 20. Again, if you fall or your rifle takes a tumble you'll want to check zero. Also, someone in your party might have a rifle or scope go south, especially if on horseback.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back