Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Backcountry hunting and extra ammo?

10ish. Having fired four shots at an elk (one initial shot while standing still and three follow-ups until she stopped moving) and still having a deer tag and being in bear country, I was glad to have extra rounds.

3 in my Remington and 3 in the pack. Last six year I've come back with 5. Pray and Spray doesn't respect the animal or the game!

3 in the gun, 6 in the buttstock sleeve, and another 6 in my pack.

Think about it this way, if you're worried about the weight of extra ammo, you can either leave that out of your pack, or take it off your body weight for the same net effect. One time I got all spun up on trying to get 5 lbs off the weight of my gear, then realized I could stand to loose some weight off my gut... so I slimmed down 10 pounds off me, and left my pack alone.

box of 20 total. 5 in the gun, and fifteen in the pack. I know its overkill, but if you get in trouble and end up shooting SOS shots to call for help, the extra rounds are worthwhile.

Also, Having to test after banging your scope you'll be thankful for the extras.

At the end of the day, I never regret carrying extra ammo and water even if it does add weight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back