Backcountry Grizz hunt..........

D

Deerslayer

hump.gif
who's ya daddy?!!!!!
drool.gif
...........oops!........I meant elk hunt!
fight.gif
....................I hope one of them bastages don't challenge me to a duel!
cool.gif
..sure would phuck up a good elk hunt!
rolleyes.gif

Whelp...............tomorrow morning me and Buzzy heads out to the way-back-in..........points beyond any road hunter
hump.gif
....it'll be kinda lonely without the comforting hum of the old ATV's........but we'll try and manage somehow. The beer bellys and the roadhunters can only dream of such places......but no worries...we'll bring out a few photos so they'll at least know what "heaven" looks like. Hell, we may even get lucky and have a bull fall on an arrow or two!
elkgrin.gif

Look what the cat drug in !
Hey Mark, hows it hanging ?
Hope you & Buzz get to fling a few arrows. I have no dought you'll come back with a wild story or two.
Check your E-mail when ya get a chance.
I hope all is going well.

Hey ol' buddy!.......can't get to my AOL addy from here, so it will be another couple of weeks before I can check mail........about 6 weeks worth.....better get the ol' delete mail button warmed up!
biggrin.gif

Yes sir, we'll sling a few arrows.......if not at elk, *I'm sure there will be other critters running around.
shhh.gif
...them fuggin arrows cost to much to just let 'em take up quiver space!......let 'em fly and earn their keep is what I always say!
hump.gif

And it just ain't huntin' if you can't come back with at least one yarn or two!!!!!!
fight.gif

I'll call you when we're headin' down the hill......just like always...friend.

WELL the Sun of a Behatch hides for weeks and Weeks and stuff then Pops in saying he's leaving in one day.. NO time for the Good lucks, NO time to share a Cyber Beer, No time to even cop a good feel...

PIC BELOW FOR MEMORYS :

bobmoosiedstom.sized.jpg

Mvc_020s.jpg

MoosieandDS.sized.jpg

DAM DS... YOU bring out the Worst in me
wink.gif

DSeriously though, GOOD friggin Luck to you Yahoo's. Give ol BUZZ a handshake for me since I never get to meet up with that Ranch hunter !!!

Nope Ernie.......couldn't draw that damned Montanny tag......3 years in a row I bombed out on that one. Maybe next time, right?

Moosie, God.... I just love seeing those legs of yours.....makes me feel all warm and tingley inside
hump.gif

Thanks for the luck Nut and Bill......but it wasn't enough to take care of the 85+ degree weather that had the elk moving only about an hour in the morning, and the total devastaion from the burnout that occurred a few years back, which confined the elk to the very few high wooded pockets that were a couple hours straight up, usually holding one or so bulls, then a 5 mile hike to the next high country pocket of timber. We logged more than 120 miles on the ol' boots in about 10 days. We passed on two 5 points the first morning right at daylight, with a big ol' bull bugling across the canyon.....and later that morning I worked a nice 6x6 to within 50 yards, but the wind betrayed me at the last minute just as I was coming to full draw. On about day 3, we were on a huge ol' bull, and Buzzy got so excited, he forgot the ol' coin-flip agreement, and decided he wanted to move in to try a shot without luring the bull in close with the decoy and calling. The scenario had the bull in the open, his cow spooked, and the bull about to follow when Buzzy cow called stopping him for the shot at an estimated 40 yards. He did get his arrow off, high in the bull's back. He initially was sure it was a good hit...but it was later determined there was very little penetration, and the bull seemed fine after being tracked two days
wink.gif
...Buzzy finally let him go, though it was very hard for him to do so. That took some of the bounce out of his step, and with the heat rising daily, the elk fading from the few pockets we had to work, obviously feeling our presence.....the hunt was winding to an uneventful close. We rode into adjoining drainages, but the story was the same from the outfitters we talked to. Too hot....no elk where there were generally hundreds. We were bound and determined to move camp until we got back in elk.....so maybe it was a blessing when Buzz's job called and sent him out to Montanny, where he is now and for the next several weeks.

A big fat anti-climax for a year-long anticipated hunt in which we worked as hard as any sheep or goat hunt.......but then, I guess that is why they call it hunting
wink.gif
....if it was easy or automatic, I guess it wouldn't be nearly as fun.
cool.gif

......we made a pact going in not to take anything less than a 300 bull, and we stuck to our guns, passing on smaller bulls early.
You just don't pack in more than 20 miles to shoot a raghorn.

After Buzz got called out, I took the horses into Co for a few days of bear hunting near North Park not too far from my home there. On the second day, I arrowed a nice old cinnamon Blackie, whose back teeth had rotted out. She was estimated a 15....pics and story to follow soon and that bear encounter......

It's good to be back in civilization for some R&R for a few days...
fight.gif

Glad to here from ya DS
cool.gif

Congrats on the bear and I will be waiting to hear about it and see the pics.

Heck,it looks like it was a hard hunt for sure. (That would be a sucessful hunt to me just to see a raghorn.
wink.gif
) But to share it with good people is a plus.

Deerslayer, great read mate, sorry to hear your elk hunt did not turn out the way you had planned. Shafting a top critter on an outback adventure would surely just be a bonus.. & well done on the blackie..ds

I'm gald ya got to kill something !

I just got off the phone with Slayer and he sounds tired, I think he done wore out a couple pair of boots running around them mountains.
Kiss them horses and tell em ya love em, they must be worn out too.

Congrats on the bear and too bad on the elk, DS. I'm sure you and Buzz left everything you had in the mountains. Looking forward to the pics of the bruin.

Oak

Way to go on the bear...
I know that you and Buzz will have your elk before the seasons out...
wink.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back