So here's one for ya...

mottlet

Not an experienced elk hunter. Been on two bowhunts to OTC units, killed one bull, though did get a shot a bull on that first hunt too. Been saving CO points for a bit, and decided this year we were cashing in (we = old family friend of my dad's who's been into elk hunting for a bit now too) on a hunt that cost us 4 NR points. Last year, I convinced my non-bowhunting dad to buy an elk point and my plan worked...he drew a muzzleloader cow tag. So three tags for two old Virginia geezers (they'll outhike most) and me. September in mountains south of Gunnison. Pumped.

Well, in early May, doc saw something on an MRI he didn't like. We'd been watching it, and the damn thing got bigger by a lot since my last MRI. Doc says, clear your schedule. Soon as we can get you in, I'm going in there with a neurosurgeon and getting that thing out. That thing was a sarcoma growing off my spine, that had gotten over to my rib, and just really nestled in there. The day after Colorado released their elk results, confirming that we had indeed drawn, they rolled me into the OR, cut a 7" incision down my back, and wrestled that damn thing outta there. Looks like they got it all, I should be fine. Lotta MRIs in my future for the next few years. Back surgery ain't no picnic, but far as cancer goes, feels like this could have been much worse.

Now, first question I asked my doc when he said he needed to operate was about September. He says September is a long way away, you should be fine. But what does hunting elks entail?

Well doc, I'm gonna go way up high, looking for an 800 pound deer. When I find one, I'm gonna make noises at it to try and make it so mad it comes running over to me to stomp me into the nearest mudhole. When he gets within 50 yards, but hopefully much closer, I'm gonna try and deflate his lungs with a sharp stick. If all of this somehow works out, I have to cut him up and carry him off the mountain on the back you wanna cut open.

Doc laughs, says everybody heals differently. Gonna be up to you. September is a long way away.

So here's my deal: September AIN'T a long way away. I'm nearly two weeks out from surgery and by all accounts, kicking ass. Hiked a bit over a mile yesterday with my dad scouting a ridge close to the house for a spot to shoot a whitetail doe or two. Every day is a little better. Pretty much got my pain under control with the meds, but am waiting on my lungs. It'll be a bit before they've recovered (general anesthesia really does a number on how much air your lungs will hold apparently) to a point for me to be running, working out, etc. again.

My bow is dialed already and I'll be able to start shooting that again in plenty of time that I'm not worried about that. I should be able to get into some workouts, running, etc before September. But will it be enough to effectively hunt? Who knows. This'll be the highest I've ever hunted, but not the highest I've ever camped, hiked, fished, etc. I ain't turning the tag in. Guess I'll just be slow. Guess the worst that could happen is that I spend ten days in the mountains walking around real slow, and I recognize that is a pretty nice worse case scenario. But...it'd be a bummer to pull a tag to try and escape some of the crowds and not really be able to hunt it properly.

Anybody else ever faced a situation like this? How'd it go? I'll try and update this from time to time. But I think I also just wanted to write it down and make it real. It's happening, better do what I can to get ready...

Wow dude, that’s tough and I’m glad the surgery is behind you! I have never experienced anything close to that, so no experience there. However, I can’t think of a better carrot hanging out there to help in your recovery than an elk hunt.

I know you’re chomping at the bit to whip yourself in shape, just be careful you don’t overdue it too soon- a setback from pushing too hard too soon is probably going to be worse than being patient with yourself.

Good luck, keep us posted!

With your grit and positive attitude, I've got a feeling the elk are in trouble. Thanks for reminding us all not to take the good days for granted and how to tackle the not so good ones.

Follow your Doctor's advice about exercising for your recovery, and don't overdo it. If you do nothing, healing and recovery will probably take a lot longer. I would still plan on making the trip unless the Doctor STRONGLY advises against it. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

You go to the mountain, boy and hunt as effectively as you can!!!
Piss dat big ol' deer off, deflate his lungs n toke his filleted ass off the hill!! Ya hear?

Stay Positive! I know exactly where you're coming from. I have been asking myself a lot of the same questions. I'm 7 weeks out from having what was supposed to be a minor knee surgery. I'm finally able to start biking again and have been trying to focus on upper body and core as much as possible. I've also been taking advantage of the down time to do more e-scouting and research. Making it back to the mountains in September has been my fuel to push through the physical therapy and wake up before work to do my knee exercises.

Stay strong! We're both going to make it back!

Are you planning on day hiking in to spots to hunt or camping out of a backpack?
In your situation it might be best to try and find an outfitter that would do a dropcamp for all of your party to hunt out of, maybe even something semi-guided with 1 guide split between all of you if horses are included.
The horses would remove most of the hump work getting the meat out as well as save your legs getting in to the high country so you are fresh to hunt.
Just a thought.
Hope it all works out and you post some pics this fall!

Wow, sorry that you had the issues, but the glad things are on the upswing. Keep walking as much as possible try to add a little each time.

the best to ya,

You can build stamina without hurting your back on an exercise bicycle. Trekking poles will add stability and shift a little work from legs to arms while hunting. Follow the rehab guidance of DR/PT so you heal rather than reinjure. Make the hunt be a rehab goal instead of a looming problem. Someone said, "Pain is the feeling of weakness leaving your body."

Thanks everyone, glad nobody replied, "I BEEN THERE, DON'T DO IT!!"

Our plan is to do day hunts from a cabin I secured permission to stay in. But it's a big unit, so we need to be prepared to for some spike camping, even if just from trailheads or areas that are too far to drive to effectively hunt from the cabin.

I'm trying to stay on top of my breathing exercises and get in at least one good walk a day. Been working from home this week, but will likely return to the office next week, assuming I get the ok to commute by myself. I will have to prioritize taking some time for a nice walk once I'm back in the office atmosphere of DO THIS AND I NEED IT YESTERDAY. I'll also go back to the of doctor's office at the end of next week to have my staples removed. I'll ask then about more rigorous exercise, though I agree (and my wife repeatedly warns me) with many of the posters that pushing too far too early is likely to be detrimental to my goals.

Thanks everyone! I will try to keep this updated. Hopefully there's a bull at the end of all of this!

Don't let the looming deadline of season cause you to panic and push too hard. With a somewhat tight timeline, an injury could be truly detrimental to your recovery and hunting plans. Even if you cant hunt as hard as you want, you will likely still be able to hunt hard enough to be successful. Glad the surgery was a success, good luck!

Thanks everyone, latest update: Went in yesterday to get my staples out. Final pathology report came back as well, all stage 1 with clean margins. So it was low grade and they got it all.

Doc said he's amazed at my recovery so far, but said because I was doing so well, I needed to be VERY careful about overdoing it too quickly. So, still just walking/hiking for me for at least another three weeks. I asked specifically about shooting my bow, and got a firm no, then he laughed and asked my wife if she was "going to be able to reign this wild man in for another three weeks or so?" Lotta maps and calling practice in my immediate future I guess.

Glad the news keeps being positive. I have a feeling you'll be fine, but if you get the air let out of one, and need a hand, I'd bet there'd be guys willing to sling their packs, and get a little leg burn going. It'd take me a while to get there, but I know where Gunnison is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back