Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Backcountry deer lever - BLR vs Marlin

Is the 94 out of favor these days? mtmuley

Not among my favorites. It is a very complicated action, not easily dismantled to fix or clean. Cleaning from the breech becomes and enormous PITA relative to a Marlin in the 1890's series or the 336/nevo95 philosophy.

But certainly 94s are damn popular for a reason. They do tend to work okay. :)

“But last August, Marlin ceased production of new rifles while its parent company, Remington Outdoor, was mired in financial troubles. Ruger purchased the company in September 2020 for approximately $28.3 million, plucking it out of the larger Remington Outdoor bankruptcy. That acquisition could very well be Marlin’s golden ticket. Ruger has been an industry leader in innovation and quality in recent years, and I fully expect that under their ownership we will see some great Marlin rifles soon.”

I get all that. Don't take me for a Karen. I'm just saying I will wait to see until I have a Ruger made gun in my hands.

Again. I hope very much that Ruger makes an 1895 as good as the original JM ones. I'd buy one. I have a lot of Ruger in the safe.

I'm not a gun writer hoping for some free swag, so I can speak my mind. (like I wouldn't..) If "innovation" means a move toward where Ruger is taking their on product line today, I don't want it. If Ruger leans even a little to their historic strength and quality, I will be first in line saying, "Take my money."

Since Bill died, Ruger makes guns that I love and guns that I wouldn't buy with someone else's money. They also have a long history of promising products that never come to market, or very late to market.

We've seen some good things come out of the Remington breakup. Vista Outdoors has the Arkansas ammo line up to speed. When I go to Sportsman's I see a lot of green and yellow boxes. I ran some through my 7mmRM and the quality was right up there. 1 MOA without breaking a sweat.

Like the JM 1895s, There are Rugers down pulling outrageous prices on GunBroker. Guns Ruger decided decided to discontinue. Market driven sometimes means the best stuff we like goes away. Sux, but that's a fact.

Not among my favorites. It is a very complicated action, not easily dismantled to fix or clean. Cleaning from the breech becomes and enormous PITA relative to a Marlin in the 1890's series or the 336/nevo95 philosophy.

But certainly 94s are damn popular for a reason. They do tend to work okay. :)
My Grandpa bought the one I have brand new. Not blasphemy to shoot copper bullets out of it I hope. mtmuley

Not blasphemy to shoot copper bullets out of it I hope. mtmuley

Nope, but a royal PITA to scrub the copper out from the muzzle. I'm sure you use a muzzle protector on it.

Did your grandpa hunt elk with it? It was a premier elk cartridge back in the day.

No direct experience with a 336 or a BLR but as someone who hunts northern big woods and drools over lever action rifles often - I will probably go with a henry big boy steel when I finally commit. That is, unless I find a great older Marlin (either 1894 or 336). Like others have mentioned, no way I would buy a 2007-present Marlin. Too many bad experiences. In the upper peninsula of MI where I hunt, I would have to really try to find a spot to shoot over 150 yards, so most spots wouldn't gain much if anything off of the BLR chamberings. I assume Ontario big woods would be quite similar. If you stillhunt or track I have to imagine the Marlin would handle better than a BLR though

I get all that. Don't take me for a Karen. I'm just saying I will wait to see until I have a Ruger made gun in my hands.

Again. I hope very much that Ruger makes an 1895 as good as the original JM ones. I'd buy one. I have a lot of Ruger in the safe.

I'm not a gun writer hoping for some free swag, so I can speak my mind. (like I wouldn't..) If "innovation" means a move toward where Ruger is taking their on product line today, I don't want it. If Ruger leans even a little to their historic strength and quality, I will be first in line saying, "Take my money."

Since Bill died, Ruger makes guns that I love and guns that I wouldn't buy with someone else's money. They also have a long history of promising products that never come to market, or very late to market.

We've seen some good things come out of the Remington breakup. Vista Outdoors has the Arkansas ammo line up to speed. When I go to Sportsman's I see a lot of green and yellow boxes. I ran some through my 7mmRM and the quality was right up there. 1 MOA without breaking a sweat.

Like the JM 1895s, There are Rugers down pulling outrageous prices on GunBroker. Guns Ruger decided decided to discontinue. Market driven sometimes means the best stuff we like goes away. Sux, but that's a fact.
👍🏼

Browning usually doesn’t get much love on Hunt Talk for some reason. I’d go with a BLR over the 336. I’ve shot both, the BLR is simply a better rifle. My BLR .308 is my favorite rifle to hunt with.

Question for you Marlin carriers. How does the push button safety work? Can you carry "cocked and locked"? I rarely have a round chambered walking around anymore, just curious about how it works.
I actually like it just an added safety measure. When I'm on the move and have the rifle on my pack or rifle carrier I engage both the safety and use the half @#)(#. Once I'm on stand I only use the half @#)(# because I grew up using a model 94. I've not tried the cocked and locked but I'm about sure you can do that. I just wouldn't trust accidentally knocking if off safety with my pack or something while moving.

Nothing east of the Rockies and south of Hudson Bay that a 30-30 won't drop in its tracks in wooded country.
A clear shot, absolutely. Through thick brush, I have my concerns. I’ve had personal experiences that makes me beg to differ.

There’s a reason I prefer big bore and it’s not because I’m a masochist.

Question for you Marlin carriers. How does the push button safety work? Can you carry "cocked and locked"? I rarely have a round chambered walking around anymore, just curious about how it works.
I don’t walk with one in the chamber. Load once in stand and flip safety or half @#)(# depending on rifle.

A clear shot, absolutely. Through thick brush, I have my concerns. I’ve had personal experiences that makes me beg to differ.

There’s a reason I prefer big bore and it’s not because I’m a masochist.
If if feel like I am shooting through that much foliage I don’t take the shot. But obviously others have different approaches.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabee Shooter
Back