MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Backcountry deer lever - BLR vs Marlin

The Marlin 336 has very few parts; its a simplistic design that has been in production for many decades. The bolt can be easily removed with just a common screw driver. Accuracy is typically a 2 inch grouping at 100 yards. 30-30 is the most popular chambering and this older cartridge and has been slaying big game for well over a century. Moderate recoil is a big bonus.

I've never owned a Browning BLR but the action is very strong and fully modern in design.

TR

Howdy all !
New guy here !
I just had to chime in on this one.
I read some valid points and many opinions.
As an owner of mostly Marlin levers (my personal sweet spot), I also own many Savage, Browning, and Henry levers as well.
What I've learned is that nearly every one of them has the potential to be a tack driver if you hand load.
My scoped levers: 336 in 30-30, 308MXLR, 375, 1894 in 44 Magnum, 444, and 450 Marlin, my Savage 99F in 308, my Henry in 6.5CM, and my 90's vintage BLR in 358 Winchester and have all achieved the miracle sub MOA with my hand loads.
I have many other ones that I've not fired yet. Some new and some older.
My eyesight is way past using open sights, so when I'm hunting, it's always a scope for me.
On the maintenance side, Marlin takes the top spot. There isn't even a close second. I'll second that the Remington produced ones are not the same quality as the JM stamped ones.
The new Ruger SBL in 45-70 looks promising though.
For crappy weather, the stainless ones can't be beat.
They are made for this.
The 308MXLR is an incredible tack driver and I wish I had gotten the 338 too.
It is light enough to carry and the round is quite devastating based on my findings on a large doe I took quartering away at 85 yards. Her lungs were vaporized as in no tissue to be found. The shoulder exit essentially severed her right leg. The only thing keeping it attached was her skin.
I wouldn't be afraid to use that round on larger game at longer distances.
Should I ever get to hunt elk, I have 2 S/S Browning BLR takedowns, 1 in 358 and 1 in 300 Win Mag.
They are shorter barreled than their blued counterparts, so I already know I'm going to lose FPS, but they are super lightweight and very fast handling. The BLRs triggers travel with the lever so no pinched fingers.
I'm also not scared of taking 400 - 500 yard shots with them once I've done my load development.
I've not scoped or developed loads for either, but one of them is going on those hunts should I win a tag.
TBH, I still do most of my hunting with a lowly T/C Compass II in 6.5CM.
It was inexpensive, it is a tack driver, and I won't mind banging it up.
The only time I'll take out my levers is when I hunt certain areas that I'm very familiar with and know no harm will come to them.
To answer the OPs question though: Find something that feels good in your hands.
They are like puppies: They will choose you !
They are also all beautiful in their own way !
Best of luck on your search.

I haven't had good luck with Ruger, but then again haven't had any Rugers since the new guy took over. Having said that, the new Marlin lever looks great, and when they get one with walnut might take a crack at it.

I am a fan of the BLR. I have had an old 81 in 308 and would love to find a 257 Roberts.

Thank you for the lead. Unfortunately that one is a little out of my budget.
Totally understand that.
I've been known to use my credit cards when something like this comes along....
That's actually a pretty low starting price for something that rare.
I'm going to keep my eyes on it to see if anyone bids on it.
I just sold a BLR 81 S/S takedown in 22-250 for $2400.
At least you have good taste !

I have the Big Boy X in 45 Colt. I wanted to a handy, lighter carbine. Going to give it a go for brush hunting with a Sig Romeo 5. Have all of my components except H110. I do have other powders but want the 110 for upper limit loads.

I am a fan of the BLR. I have had an old 81 in 308 and would love to find a 257 Roberts.
I have one in .257 bob I’m thinking about selling but not sure yet. It’s in really good shape sling swivel studs have been added for sling carry.

I have one in .257 bob I’m thinking about selling but not sure yet. It’s in really good shape sling swivel studs have been added for sling carry.
How much would you be asking for yours ?
The one on GB did not sell and he wasn't interested in offers.

My reloading mensa friend has a BLR Takedown in 7 WSM. Very accurate w/beautiful glossy grain, fit and finish.

How much would you be asking for yours ?
The one on GB did not sell and he wasn't interested in offers.
I’d be at $1200 on it plus shipping cause that’s what I paid and I’m not into losing money. I haven’t decided yet what I’m gonna do I never fired it I bought it at an estate auction in eastern colorado. My boy wants it but its waaay to pretty for a kid to hunt with. If you’re interested and I decide to sell it I’ll definitely let you know.

You are already fixed up just fine. Personally, I think fast follow up shooting is vastly overrated ... if not vastly wasteful. I have hunted thick cover in Ontario, Montana, Idaho, and Africa with a scoped bolt action WWII Springfield and made it work very well, even for running shots. I own a lever action but it's a collectable (40-60 ammo has probably been off the shelf for a hundred years). They are kinda cool I guess, but if you're acquiring a lever action simply for fast follow up, you might be better served staying away from them. The deer would probably be better served too. Make the first shot count. If you can't count on getting a second shot, the natural inclination is don't waste the first one. For this reason I would never disparage anyone who hunts with a single shot (except dangerous game).

I’d be at $1200 on it plus shipping cause that’s what I paid and I’m not into losing money. I haven’t decided yet what I’m gonna do I never fired it I bought it at an estate auction in eastern colorado. My boy wants it but its waaay to pretty for a kid to hunt with. If you’re interested and I decide to sell it I’ll definitely let you know.
That's not unreasonable and pretty much at retail. The GB one was unreasonable.
Nobody wants to lose money LOL !
As an avid lever collector, I do have a clue as to their value.

Four pages and zero mention of the perfect Deer, Caribou, Moose, Grizzly, Wood Bison lever action :(
I thought I did, but if I didn't, the S/S Browning BLR 81 takedown in one of several chamberings would work great. My choices would be 300 Win Mag or WSM, 325 WSM, 358 Winchester, or 45-70 in the traditional BLR depending on the ranges shots will be taken.
I've seen 30-06, 308, 7mm mag, and 270 Win take most of those out. Grizzly and Bison ? I'd want something with a whole bunch of bang !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back