Caribou Gear

Backcountry camp site

What are some of the things you experienced backpack hunters take into consideration when looking for a backcountry camp site. Just wondering if you look at a park type area, or is it wiser to be in the timber a bit, if planning on being above timberline do you just find a flat spot and call it good.

I have been getting gear dialed in for a few seasons and want to get a little further back and take the time to learn more about an area than spending a lot of time hiking in and out.

I normally try and camp where animals are not going to be, at least try. It is not always possible but not camping in a meadow, next to water or bedding areas. Sometimes it doesnt look like good area but non the less they are where they are or is it they are where you find them? I just try and stay hidden and down wind of normal wind patterns. If its higher basin, like deer, on the back side of ridges and not in travel corridor saddles or in the bottom of the basin.

If you plan to be hunting all day and not spending much time at camp, finding a spot near water is pretty nice. Water is kinda the one X factor on any extended hunt. You can carry in everything else. It is nice to know you have water back at camp after a long day of hunting. If you have to hike out of your way to fill up, it can be a pain.

If you plan to be hunting all day and not spending much time at camp, finding a spot near water is pretty nice. Water is kinda the one X factor on any extended hunt. You can carry in everything else. It is nice to know you have water back at camp after a long day of hunting. If you have to hike out of your way to fill up, it can be a pain.
Definitely my main consideration I drink a lot of water.

Dead trees I have this fear of a dead fall coming through my tent in the middle of the night. Lol I also really like a nice wind break that keeps me out of the prevailing winds. I seem to sleep better and water is a biggie.....

Thanks for the replies fellas, do you usually have a pretty good idea where you're camping, I have been finding out Google earth and boots on the ground are 2 different things. Planning on trying a new area this spring and have pretty much figured out I suck at escouting.

1. No standing dead trees.
2. Not right where I expect elk (or griz) to be.

Everything else is negotiable after that, but I like to have water close, be out of the wind, etc.
Is there anything you do different for the Grizzly part other than a clean camp and not camping near sign, I haven't seen one yet but would prefer it to not be when I'm sleeping

Is there anything you do different for the Grizzly part other than a clean camp and not camping near sign, I haven't seen one yet but would prefer it to not be when I'm sleeping
Both of those, and just other stuff from experience. No thick brushy trails near creeks in the summer, not in whitebark pine stands in September.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohan7
Back