Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Mountain Biking Setups for Hunting?

I searched and didn't see any threads dedicated to this topic... let me know if I missed them! I'm curious who uses a mountain bike to get into non-motorized access areas and what your setup is like?

A lot of the area I hunt in Oregon is private timberlands open to public, non-motorized access. One area in particular is an ~8 mile ride in on gated logging roads... and then once I'm in there, it's about a 3-5 square mile hunt area. I've hiked into it in the past, but it takes a bit of time hiking between the timber cuts when looking for bears that could be really cut down on a bike. I'd like to bike in with all my gear to camp in the hunt area for a week or so.

If you've dialed in a mountain bike setup for this type of scenario, I'd love for you to share what you've learned along the way to your current system. Thanks in advance!

I've hunted behind gates in NE OR for the last 6 years, 2023 will be 7. We ride 10-20 miles each morning hunt, trolling as we go. Best move for me was getting rid of the hybrid and going straight mt bike. Full suspension, Dr RX seat, and a cpl pairs of GOOD padded bike shorts. Also, a burley kids trailer modified works best (craigs list or marketplace). We've tried the single axle bob trailers and unless you're moving forward they tip over constantly, biggest pita ever. Add a tool bag to the frame for tubes and tools; never have needed them but you never know. Get a new axle from "robert axle project" for ataching the trailer. Quietest setup is webbing, plywood deck is a sound board and loud as heck as these trailers bounce unless you have an elk in them.

If you're young and "don't need no stinkin bike shorts", bring tape.

IMG_1997 (Small).JPG

1.jpg
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
IMG_0504 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
I've hunted behind gates in NE OR for the last 6 years, 2023 will be 7. We ride 10-20 miles each morning hunt, trolling as we go. Best move for me was getting rid of the hybrid and going straight mt bike. Full suspension, Dr RX seat, and a cpl pairs of GOOD padded bike shorts. Also, a burley kids trailer modified works best (craigs list or marketplace). We've tried the single axle bob trailers and unless you're moving forward they tip over constantly, biggest pita ever. Add a tool bag to the frame for tubes and tools; never have needed them but you never know. Get a new axle from "robert axle project" for ataching the trailer. Quietest setup is webbing, plywood deck is a sound board and loud as heck as these trailers bounce unless you have an elk in them.

If you're young and "don't need no stinkin bike shorts", bring tape.
Amazing... exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Interesting to hear prefer full suspension... so many of the "gravel" and "bikepacking" advertised bikes are no suspension or at most front suspension.

What bike are you using now? I'm curious if the cheap walmart special bikes hold up to hunting use or if spending a bit more is advisable.

Amazing... exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Interesting to hear prefer full suspension... so many of the "gravel" and "bikepacking" advertised bikes are no suspension or at most front suspension.

What bike are you using now? I'm curious if the cheap walmart special bikes hold up to hunting use or if spending a bit more is advisable.

Guys that mt bike every day like hard tails for their "pedaling efficiency". I push my bike up the hills and prefer riding on a cloud vs getting pounded when riding down a cow trail. Cheap didn't cut it for me, I bought a diamondback release 1 after using a "hybrid", $1700 thru a friends discount. I'd get an e-bike if I could but I hunt in a TMA and can't use one.

Last edited:
You might want to try biking with a fully loaded pack first. I had some grand plans to do exactly what you describe, but navigating big elevation changes on minimally maintained single tracks was pretty sketchy with a loaded pack.

I considered a trailer, but didn’t think that would be feasible with all of the switchbacks. I did add some expandable panniers and tail bag - which do come in useful now when I ride my bike to the grocery. 😝

I still do some scouting on the bike, but only hike in when hunting.

1680914523097.jpeg

You might want to try biking with a fully loaded pack first. I had some grand plans to do exactly what you describe, but navigating big elevation changes on minimally maintained single tracks was pretty sketchy with a loaded pack.

I considered a trailer, but didn’t think that would be feasible with all of the switchbacks. I did add some expandable panniers and tail bag - which do come in useful now when I ride my bike to the grocery. 😝

I still do some scouting on the bike, but only hike in when hunting.

yes, this is a major reason I'm asking the question... riding w/ a pack on doesn't seem like the best strategy so was curious as to where people ended up. Seems like there ought to be a non-trailer solution with some type of front+rear racks?

For probably 90%+ of my use case, there are decently nice logging roads to take so the sketchy single track isn't as much of a concern.

How do you like that bike? Salsa is a brand that keeps coming up in my searches.

yes, this is a major reason I'm asking the question... riding w/ a pack on doesn't seem like the best strategy so was curious as to where people ended up. Seems like there ought to be a non-trailer solution with some type of front+rear racks?

For probably 90%+ of my use case, there are decently nice logging roads to take so the sketchy single track isn't as much of a concern.

How do you like that bike? Salsa is a brand that keeps coming up in my searches.
It’s a good bike and I got it on sale for a decent price. No complaints. Most all of my riding is trail cruising vs. technical terrain, so it’s well suited for that purpose.

I haven’t done a full-pack or big-game hunt with my bike — mostly just cruising around looking for small game or birds. I use a rifle rack made for ATVs to hold the shotgun.

IMG_0012.jpeg

I bought a bike packing bike a few years ago, it fit the riding style I wanted and it had the flexibility to have multiple bags and racks mounted. There are a few through trail rides I would like to camp on but haven't done it yet, just riding it around with the kids and workout rides. I bought a Marin Pine Mountain.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tzog
Back