MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Backcountry/Alpine Lake Fishing float tube?

MThuntr

Things are starting to warm up and we hit our first mid-elevation mtn lake. It seems the fish were feeding just too far off the bank to get a decent cast since the timber was right at our backs. In previous years I've had the same issue with timber to the lake edge keeping casts down since I'm an inept fly fisherman.

I found a few float tubes online last night designed for backpacking but was curious if anyone had a system they liked. Anyone have a favorite backpacking float tube or packraft they drag along for weekend mtn lake adventuring?

Are you planning on also staying dry? Otherwise just your sleeping pad then fold it in half and kick your way out there. Wally world also sells some super small dingies that I've seen used a couple times, not sure you stay any drier but ya might.

Are you planning on also staying dry? Otherwise just your sleeping pad then fold it in half and kick your way out there. Wally world also sells some super small dingies that I've seen used a couple times, not sure you stay any drier but ya might.
I think I am considering carrying light breathable waders for early stuff (day trips and overnights I can afford to carry the extra weight) and then midsummer when the water temps come up just suffering for a few minutes to acclimate would be ok.

I might have to look into a cheap floatable if the weight was right but I know a youth boat would be too small for my fat butt...no need to reenact the sinking of the Titanic lol

You probably get a pro deal on the Klymit LWD. Never owned one, almost have many times.

Wilderness Lite Float Tubes

While I don't have first hand experience using their products, Phil, the owner, is a proud supporter of BHA and a board member for the Iowa Chapter of BHA. Having spent time with him last year at the BHA Rendezvous in Boise I can attest to his solid character. He gave me a run down of his tubes and what he believes makes them better than the competition. He put a lot of thought and effort to make them perfect for the backpacking angler. Give him a call or email and he'll gladly answer any questions you have about his float tubes and accessories.

1.) Spinning rods are ok on lakes. Signed, the fly-fishing illuminati.

2.) breathable waders are a must.

3.) I've packed a float tube in. Remember your fins too. And a pump. Plan on an extra 10 pounds of gear. I prefer the U-style over the donut. Easier in & out, and seemingly more stable to me.

4.) Spinning rods are ok on lakes.

5.) Seriously, 1 & 4.

1.) Spinning rods are ok on lakes. Signed, the fly-fishing illuminati.
very true, I just don't have much for spinning gear these days but I do need to snag a few panther martins and rooster tails. Where the fish were rising on the lake we visited yesterday it would still have been a push to get past the "shallows" even with spinning gear. I fished crankbaits off a kayak 2 weeks ago next to fly fisherman and if I had some proper nightcrawlers I probably would have used those.

You probably get a pro deal on the Klymit LWD
I looked at this and it seems like a decent option especially for weight. I saw a collapsible paddle that would pair nicely with this.

very true, I just don't have much for spinning gear these days but I do need to snag a few panther martins and rooster tails. Where the fish were rising on the lake we visited yesterday it would still have been a push to get past the "shallows" even with spinning gear. I fished crankbaits off a kayak 2 weeks ago next to fly fisherman and if I had some proper nightcrawlers I probably would have used those.

Breathable waders w/ sandals. For early season/just after iceout, you get the distance from shore needed, and you don't have the heaviest gear to haul around.

But, if you're set, I'd find the lightest weight tube, and make sure it's rated for guys who have the thunder.

While I don't have first hand experience using their products, Phil, the owner, is a proud supporter of BHA and a board member for the Iowa Chapter of BHA. Having spent time with him last year at the BHA Rendezvous in Boise I can attest to his solid character. He gave me a run down of his tubes and what he believes makes them better than the competition. He put a lot of thought and effort to make them perfect for the backpacking angler. Give him a call or email and he'll gladly answer any questions you have about his float tubes and accessories.
I was going to mention the same thing. No experience with them but they seem like a solid brand.

Breathable waders w/ sandals. For early season/just after iceout, you get the distance from shore needed, and you don't have the heaviest gear to haul around.

But, if you're set, I'd find the lightest weight tube, and make sure it's rated for guys who have the thunder.
So is using waders and sandals kosher...isn't that like socks and sandals. I need to be fashionable ;)

Waders and sandals may be kosher, but in high mountain lakes it can result in some mighty cold toes. 🥶

Yeah, I'm old school, but years ago I used to pack my big blue Browning doughnut float tube along with my foam chest waders, boots, and fins into some of the high SW Montana mountain lakes and had some great fly fishing.

And yes spinning rods are acceptable on high mountain lakes...IF you're fishing from shore and using a fly and a bubble. :D

With an 8' 4 wt or a 9' 5 wt fly rod out in a float tube, you can have some FANTASTEC fishing.

Phil makes a great product. I definitely recommend Wilderness Lite.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skywagon
Back