Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Back-up Power Bank

TN2shot07

Hey guys -

I know this has been hashed out before but the way technology changes I just wanted to see what you have had the best experience with? I’m thinking it would be nice to have in my pack for all day sits since I’m a few iPhones behind and the battery only lasts a couple hours.

I know the prices are all over the board and I don’t mind spending money if it’s justified. If the cheap ones work the same I will happily go that route too.

Thanks!

I bought three cheap power banks at walmart for 8 bucks each. I get about a charge and a half out of each one. They work just fine, hold a charge well, charge phones quickly. They're a little heavy and have to be kept in a water-tight container, but they work for me.

I've used 3 RAVPower models, an I/O Magic, and an Anker charger throughout the years. I really like the RAVPower ones, the higher the mAh rating the better. They have held up better and getting multiple charges out of one is great.

I have a Dark Energy. Indestructible, waterproof, holds charge in cold weather, charges my android phone 3 or more times.
A friend has one that is, I think, 4 years old and another that is 3. We use the older one most weekends to power a Lab Radar while out shooting. It has seen some use.
Pretty sure they have even better/newer out now.

I have a Dark Energy as well that has worked well. Having said that, the FIRST thing I would do is to just get your iPhone battery replaced with a new one. A battery that holds a charge like it should would be my top priority; otherwise you're just trying to keep water topped off on in a sieve.

I have a Dark Energy as well that has worked well. Having said that, the FIRST thing I would do is to just get your iPhone battery replaced with a new one. A battery that holds a charge like it should would be my top priority; otherwise you're just trying to keep water topped off on in a sieve.
I agree and had contemplated replacing the battery but at $79 and have to drive at least 2 hours and spend half a day waiting at an Apple store didn’t really appeal to me. I figured I’d use it as an excuse to get the battery back up that I wanted anyway and maybe bite the bullet next year for a new phone! The dark energy’s seem to come with pretty good reviews and I like their tolerance for cold weather.

Pre-Order a Dark Energy Poseidon Pro and you get a tactical carabiner...

Sorry, had to have a bit of a laugh at their site. The IP68 rating is pretty nice, looks pretty rugged. Just on the low end of mAh for what I'd take out for a week, though.

Pre-Order a Dark Energy Poseidon Pro and you get a tactical carabiner...

Sorry, had to have a bit of a laugh at their site. The IP68 rating is pretty nice, looks pretty rugged. Just on the low end of mAh for what I'd take out for a week, though.
Just pulled the trigger on a RAV 22000mAh bank, probably a little more than I needed. They had 20% off plus free shipping, so $60 to the door. Not as cool as the Jim Shockey edition but should work!

Thanks for the replies!

Last edited:
First of all, you need to pay attention to the technical parameters of the solar module. Also, you should check the quality of manufacturing and the absence of visual defects on the solar cells, glass, protective film and frame of the solar module. If you can distinguish the quality of soldering - it is better to buy modules with robot soldering, not manual https://www.dragonsbreathsolar.co.uk/product-category/solar-home-battery-storage/. Pay attention to the power rating, voltages at the maximum power point and at no-load, currents in the TMM and short-circuit. It is also important to know the type of element, the number of elements in the module, its design, its dimensions, and its mass.

Last edited:
I've been using the same Jackery pack for the last 7 years of so with good effect, but it's heavy for the charge. I can get 2-3 full charges out of the little 10K MaH pack.

Got this one a few months ago and it's been good so far: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P5ZP943/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Since I've already got 5 of the Makita 18V batteries, I'm trying this route next: https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/ADP05
Looks good. Unfortunately Amazon will not ship them to Alaska and we are stuck with whatever is in the local store like Walmart.

I keep an Anker powercore 10,000 in my pack. Lighter than heavier bricks and keeps its charge.

Since I've already got 5 of the Makita 18V batteries, I'm trying this route next: https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/ADP05
I run all Makita cordless tools on the job and have a few of those usb adapters- they are awesome. I don't carry them while hunting, with a full size battery they make for a fairly heavy package. When sleeping in the back of the truck I plug into one though. A 5.0 battery will charge my iPhone all weekend.

I run all Makita cordless tools on the job and have a few of those usb adapters- they are awesome. I don't carry them while hunting, with a full size battery they make for a fairly heavy package. When sleeping in the back of the truck I plug into one though. A 5.0 battery will charge my iPhone all weekend.

Definitely a base camp deal. Charged my pixel 6 5 times on one 5 amp hour battery.

Back