Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Back to Work

WyoDoug

Well, good and bad. Retirement is boring. Taking up an offer someone made to work part time for him in his family business. He promises to be flexible with my hunting dates so great way to fund hunting. Retirement is great to look forward to until you are retired. You still gotta keep busy. I was getting outright bored in the winter time. My hobbies are all outdoors stuff pretty much and can't do much of that in windy Wyoming winters.

Since I "retired" in 2012 (mandatory age 55), I have continued to work part time for a couple of LE Agencies. I also obtained my state license to spray herbicides (chain saw, backpack sprayer) and battle invasive plants for landowners, delivered car parts for a few months covering for a friend, worked in the maple sugar woods for a few sugar makers, and lead hiking tours for a resort. However, I refuse to work in May (turkeys and walleyes) and September -December (hunting multiple species in multiple states and provinces). My wife and I stash my part time work earnings in a dedicated hunting and fishing fund. What are you doing WyoDoug ?

I retired in 09 and only worked long enough part time after to pay everything off. Never liked working for other folks much.
Never really bored here at the ranch these days,too much to do. For myself.
Yesterday I went down into the Gila and found a firewood stash while scouting for possible deer hunt area options. I only had to fire the saw up once to fill a truck...hundreds of acres of downed & bucked wood,70mi away. Never saw a deer so I'll have to look more while working. Or just look for deer. Did see elk and no people except one rancher all day.
Today is unload truck & cut up wood into stove size and add to stack. Snow this week they say.
Life is good at the "Rockin' Double J"

I'll probably never quit working completely. I still have several years til I can retire and have my health insurance covered. With my background in water/wastewater treatment, as well as experience in environmental reclamation before I got into water and wastewater, there is always a lot of consultation work. I have several older friends that retired from public service, locking up a pension paycheck and insurance, then turned to consultation. They make way more doing that part time as they did working full time. That's kinda my plan, and the flexibility I'd like.

Retired a year ago. For 40 some odd years it seemed like I was never home except for 4 months out of the year in the spring.
Have kept busy exploring the area, getting back into fishing (summers) now Ice fishing(winters).
Hunted all fall for deer and elk.
Garden full time in the short summer season. So far have not been bored. Don't think I could do any kind of work mainly my shoulder is getting worse and any kind of labor tears it up more. So I'll just do my time on my own time.

I often wonder how I’ll fare in retirement. It sure sounds nice, but learning new things and having challenges to figure out really keep me mentally happy. I feel like I get depressed if I don’t have things to do.

Not something I have to worry about for a couple decades yet, but figuring out how to stay busy/happy once it gets here is something I do think about.

I retired several years ago and have not been bored. To me, retirement means you have the flexibility to do what you want regardless of the pay. If that is continuing at a job you find rewarding that is great. If it means spending more time pursuing other interests, becoming more fully engaged in causes and issues you feel passionately about, or trying out new ways to earn some money that is great too. There are a lot of options. Among other things, I have spent more time trying to preserve some of the areas I care deeply about.

Just finished my first year of retirement, can’t say I’ve been bored with it at all yet. Have had many consulting offers but money hasn’t trumped having my own time finally back. Plenty of hikes to go on, places to see, hunting and fishing, rekindled my like of photography, home projects I’ve put off, and sharing all with the little lady who retired before me (health) and then waited patiently a few years for me to pull the plug. Having someone at your side to share makes you look at everything with a new perspective and that will never get boring!

I plan to retire at 55 if at all possible but no later than 60.

I might buy the Bob Ross DVD set and try to paint some birds or something but I certainly wont be answering to another human being after I retire. I am throwing my computer in the trash when I retire and getting back to my roots.

I also have a long way to go before retirement, but unless I become physically handicapped in some way, I dont think I will discontinue hunting/fishing for the community, trapping for income, or participating in the Yukon Quest in some manner. After we canoed the entire length of the Yukon one summer, I have considered doing it as a business after retiring. Or shorter canoe trips down the Mackenzie for people who dont have the time to canoe the Yukon

Our grandfather, reloads for us during the summer and travels during the winter. He goes to a different place each year and returns with interesting stories, so that is also a consideration.

Wife and I had that very conversation recently. I have 16 months til retirement is possible. It will happen in spring so I have max decompression time before winter

I will most likely work fun jobs, like golf courses, volunteer , hunt, fish, hike etc

Not getting bored is a concern but there are ways around it.

A co worker of mine retired at the same time as his wife. For 6 weeks he said they never fought so much in their marriage, then it got better. He said just don't retire at the same time.

Well, good and bad. Retirement is boring. Taking up an offer someone made to work part time for him in his family business. He promises to be flexible with my hunting dates so great way to fund hunting. Retirement is great to look forward to until you are retired. You still gotta keep busy. I was getting outright bored in the winter time. My hobbies are all outdoors stuff pretty much and can't do much of that in windy Wyoming winters.
Find an indoor hobby, got to keep yourself occupied.

I planned my retirement when I was 45, worked hard and chucked in my job at 50, then mainly fishing guide in the summer and then hunting guide in the winter, although not so much of the latter in recent years.
turned 60 last year, took up a new hobby of knife making, and if I get really bored I will tie up some flies.
So I would class myself as semi-retired.
Master plan was to travel the world with my wife, but Covid has placed that on hold.

I just don't know when I plan on going into full time retirement, I built up my fly fishing business and it will be difficult to let go....unless my health stops me!

Oh well that's sufficient typing, I'm off out deer hunting!

Cheers

Richard

For 6 weeks he said they never fought so much in their marriage, then it got better. He said just don't retire at the same time.
YEP! I officially retired when Covid shutdowns started. I had already been home for a while prior. The 2 of us at home with two kids was enough that I had to get out and away from it. Driving ensured me time with out getting the hunting guilt trip from the wife.

LOL my wife retired a month after me. Least she has indoor hobbies. She can't wait for warm weather to get here so I get outside again and stop agitating her.

As for the funding, putting it in a dedicated hunting fund is the plan.

I’ve retired from career jobs three times over the years. As a Mariner an opportunity too good to pass up came along last time and lasted 8 years before hitting my pension goal.
That lasted a couple of years.
We decided to put our cabin on Airbnb two summers ago. We were full from late Spring though November last year.
Say what you will but it feels like a full time/part time job. Love it though. Guests coming from all over the Country looking to get away.
I just don’t know how to sit still...

I will be 47 this spring and already have plans in place to be done at 59 ( or sooner ). Our youngest will be 18 at that time and we plan on having a summer residence somewhere in the Rockies and a winter place on a beach somewhere. It is a good compromise for both of us. 401k's, we own three successful business ( hope they stay that way) and zero debt except for our mortgage will hopefully bring that plan to fruition. I love to work with my hands whether it is building things, making things, fixing things, etc.. and with four daughters I will probably have a son in law or two to tune up every so often.. haha.

I have a plan for myself. When I retire I'm going to buy a big pull-behind smoker and set up in various Parks throughout my area. I'll sell pulled pork sandwiches and brisket until I run out for whatever it cost me to keep the operation running, not make a profit. I could do that for a long time, taking off whatever days I want and having no schedule LOL

I will be 47 this spring and already have plans in place to be done at 59 ( or sooner ). Our youngest will be 18 at that time and we plan on having a summer residence somewhere in the Rockies and a winter place on a beach somewhere. It is a good compromise for both of us. 401k's, we own three successful business ( hope they stay that way) and zero debt except for our mortgage will hopefully bring that plan to fruition. I love to work with my hands whether it is building things, making things, fixing things, etc.. and with four daughters I will probably have a son in law or two to tune up every so often.. haha.
Four girls? That means four shot guns and four scenes where you start singing, "I will be here cleaning this gun...."? LOL

and with four daughters I will probably have a son in law or two to tune up every so often.. haha.
2 girls here, and only had 2 issues with "boyfriends". One made threats and found out it wasn't going to fly. The other nearly pissed himself when I came flying up screeching to a halt after a help call from my daughter.

59 and have been eligible to retire from my job since last July. Not enough reserves yet to go with my pension(2, but one doesn't really add up to a car payment) until SS kicks in. Looks like I'm going to wait until I'm 62 and see where I stand at that point. Not opposed to a part-time job to supplement things and get out of the house now and then. Of course, all bets are off after I win the lottery this week! ;)

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back