Back Pack weight, I won't talk about it any more ...

Moosie

Grand poopa
So I'm done !!!

I added a couple oz here... subtracted a few there, And today I spent probably 6 hours calculating, Weighing, figureing it out, calling people and wondering what I should do Exactly. Did the Pro's and Cons. Votes on the Pack I'm using. ETC. !!!

I worked on it till I finally gave up. I have the Stuff I'm going to bring, I know all the Weight, I'm going to do Fine, and thats that :D

My total Weight without water is 71.2#. :eek:

That being said, I subtracted out what Normal people do like things like boots, the cloths I'm wearing in, my Rifle with Scope, binos that will be around my neck and jsut that stuff is 17.6# When Backpackers weight their stuff the Boots, Etc aren't included right ?

Which makes my Pack in 53.6#, including Camcorder, batteries, spotting scope and the Whole 9 yards (OK, Without the water).

I'm happy with the Results, thanx for Everyones Great Advice.

list_1.jpg

list_2.jpg

[ 08-16-2004, 17:53: Message edited by: Moosie ]

HEY... Some people bring Food, I would rather loose that weight and bring things to make people at hunttalk.com drool ;)

....in you cost computations, don't forget to figure in all the lost man-hours figuring all this shit up for 3 months......you can tack on another $5000... ;)

.....good luck Moose Man.....
DS

LOL DS. I put the Cost in it when I put the list together last year in case the Air charters in AK lost my lugguage. Unfortunately my Wife seen what things cost too :eek: :eek:

On the Time figureing it out, You think I did that on MY time ?!?!!
elkgrin.gif

Why do you keep forgetting to add the weight of the water??? At 6lbs per gallon, you will have some weight added in.

You taking Nalgene bottles or a Bladder???

I say Nalgene is the only way to go... Pink one's are nice...

Well Here's my thinking... Tysons PAck is only 35 # right now. I have the Stove, I have the Fuel, I have the Tent, I have the Rifle, I have the.... And so on. He's in FAR Better shape then me and by the time I load his pack up since he left it at my house 3 weeks ago My pack will be only around the 28 # ;)

Seriously though, We are going to shift a Few pounds out of my pack into his because of the uneven load.... We will have to take Water into considerating but for alot of it we're not gonig to be full of water most of the Trip. There is 3 stopping points along the way. The Chitty part is the Last 1.5 miles of Steep rough stuff we'll have to load up with water and pack it the rest of the way in while we are at our tieredest moment.

If you look at my list I have a 48oz, a 32 oz Nalgene and a 100 oz bladder. I have the clear ones but my mext ones will be pink

I keep forgetting you can off-load some crap on to T-Bone. The Rain Fly, the Tent Poles, etc... will help.

What is the Drybag for??? The Janitorial place on Chinden has some Awesome industrial garabge bags that don't weigh anything and are pretty rip proof.

Why do you need a Bivvy and a tent???

Why not just a Bivvy and the tarp???? Or the tarp and a tent???

Check out that first aid kit on the MooseGoo link.

You got any Anti-Biotics or a Pain Killer???

Where is your Water Filters???

I actually Nuked the Drybag from my Final List. I was gonig to use it for the Camcorder, Camera, Etc to make sure it stayed dry. I saved the 1#1oz. by nuking it and Using Ziplocks.

I'm up in the Air on the Bivi... the only thing that worries me is it's a Down bag. that being said, Warrens Dad went to AK 8 times with a Down bag and Never had issues on any of his Sheep hunts. Guys like Ovis will tell me it's impossible though

I also Nuked the tarp. I was gonig to use it for a Footprint instead of the actual footprint. then I could store somethnig in the Hill if need be and leave it there or whatever... but since Nuked it. It's actually gone from the Posted list. You must have my Old Email list ?

first Aid I'm relying on T-bone. He has a good one put together (He said). I'm just bringing Bandaids and Personal things to keep me breathing and from Aching in the Face area, Sinex, Vicks, Oregel, Etc.

No Pain killer except Advil. Bringing 16 of them.. once again look at the List under the Purple section "HYGENE".

NO water Filters. Jsut pills. Saving weight, remember ? HELL, Usually I just Plunck my head in the Water, have yet to get the Chits... but After the Mexico trip and Getting it for 13 days afterwards... I ain't taking chances this time !!!

Good questions Bud, thats what I was looknig for. Although I have a Reason for everything you ask or will ask I'm sure ... I've thought of everything, Although usually not all the way through ;)

Those Asolo boots are worth their weight in gold. I have had mine for 5 years and they are still going strong. Getting a little worn in the sole after 3 trips to the volcano in Hawaii....that lava is rough stuff.

Yep A.K they are great boots, but Oscie has a cunning plan, something to with bare feet and getting piggy backed by T'Bone when his tennis sneakers fall to bits after 3 hours LOL.

Also hate to add more weight here...but...your water is gonna run you 8.35# to the gallon unless you've found some kind of diet (aqua lite?)stuff I'm not aware of....

Hey Elkgunner, how much does water weigh in Idaho? ;)

I do agree with your other comments though. Dry bag, bivy and tent.

My questions, what are the mugs for if you already have bottles? And why do you need two knives? Looks like a good list to me and will actually be valuable when I head to Wyoming next month. Best of luck Mooster.

Notto sound "CRAZY" .. but I jsut don't drink alot of Water... I'm likea Camel

Mugs are for Hot Choco (Which isn't showing up on my list but will be like our desert atthe days end before we use the P-jelly ;)

But Seriously, the P-jelly is being replaced with That BAby Butt stuff. It's for when You hike in 16 miles and The sweat builds up on your Butt and starts rubbing raw. So yes, It's for my butt
I also use P-jelly on my eyes when they dry out. I have bad Allergies so it's awesome....

MtMiller, I will only take one, I actually think T-bone has one to actually, thanx :D

sooooo...if you're not packin (much) water, what are you gonna make the cocoa with???

....and please don't say its with the p-jelly

I just hope that T-Bones in the next drainage when you start wiping that stuff on your ass....

Originally posted by Moosie:
Notto sound "CRAZY" .. but I jsut don't drink alot of Water... I'm likea Camel

Mugs are for Hot Choco (Which isn't showing up on my list but will be like our desert atthe days end before we use the P-jelly ;)

But Seriously, the P-jelly is being replaced with That BAby Butt stuff. It's for when You hike in 16 miles and The sweat builds up on your Butt and starts rubbing raw. So yes, It's for my butt
I also use P-jelly on my eyes when they dry out. I have bad Allergies so it's awesome....

MtMiller, I will only take one, I actually think T-bone has one to actually, thanx :D
oh yeah! I'll bet the p-jelly is for your butt!!!!!!!

Try and get your hands on a piece of Tyvek instead of a tarp. No weight, and much more usable. You don't need the bivvy and the tent. If you need a rain barrier, use the Tyvek.

Do you need a Thermarest???? Or do you want a 1/2 foam pad, and then use some pine boughs for your legs???

You might go see your Dr., and get a prescription for a Controlled Narcotic. If one of you has a bad break, the Advil ain't gonna help. You may only need 2 days worth, but if you need it, you would love to have the 4 magic pills. Try some OxyCotin or some Vicodin.

Why are you taking a 1/2 pound of deoderent???

Why are you taking a snakebite kit??? I doubt you see one, and if you do, just leave it alone....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back