Back injury pack

nwihunter thanks for the tip yeah ill be getting a pack in decemeber and start getting in shape hopefully in time for next September. Ill look into some trek poles what brand do you use. Iam thinking of getting a kuiu icon pro. Mostly because i will do more day hunts and occasionally a night or two. I like the pockets as i am a pocket guy.

I’m using Levi trekking poles. This season was the the first time I’ve used them and my first pack out. I’m new to western hunting. This year was only my second trip out west. I can tell you I absolutely love my exo mountain pack. I used the 2000 this year for day hunting and the separate crib panel for hauling out the meat. It worked unbelievably well with hind quarters strapped in with the crib panel.

Nwihunter thanks yeah have looked at the exo packs as well. I am excited to start getting gear and start backpacking. Looks like whatever pack i get they all seem to be good and comes down to accessories.

It took me a couple of years to accumulate all the gear I needed. My pack and the ON-X subscription were probably the 2 purchases that I’m most happy with. I also picked up quite a bit of Sitka and Kuiu clothing used. I got it off of eBay and and and a couple of other forums. Way cheaper than what it would have cost me new. I also bought a Garmin gps. Wish I would have went with an In-reach instead. I spent most of my trip this year hunting solo.

It took me a couple of years to accumulate all the gear I needed. My pack and the ON-X subscription were probably the 2 purchases that I’m most happy with. I also picked up quite a bit of Sitka and Kuiu clothing used. I got it off of eBay and and and a couple of other forums. Way cheaper than what it would have cost me new. I also bought a Garmin gps. Wish I would have went with an In-reach instead. I spent most of my trip this year hunting solo.
Yeah i plan on doing some solo hunting this year. Going to get me a pack before the hunts this year. Still torn between the exo kuiu and mystery. Will most likely get the metcalf seems like a good fit for what i want to do.

I agree with what others have said. I too have back problems and it's been a long time since I carried a pack. I would certainly go with trekking poles, its amazing the amount of stability they provide while also taking some stress off your joints.

I think everyone's injury is different and you won't really know until your try it. Your training is going to tell you whether you are capable or not. Start light and work your way up. Pay attention to your body and don't be stubborn. Have a back up plan should things go bad. My biggest fear is being out in the back country and having to drop my pack to make it out, or worse yet, not being able to make it out.

Very true everyone is different. I most certainly will start slow started hiking on weekends. Will be taking a pack and slowly adding weight see how i hold up. I have definitely learned i need to start slow with my back injury. Be able to carry everything out is something i want to make sure i can do withouth having to ditch the pack. Im sure i can do it and will probably be easier than what i do now, which is just dragging the whole animal. But i do agree i always like a plan i can rely on since i go solo pretty often.

Yeah i do lots of core actually strongest my core has ever been and i use to fight. But i was just wondering on one that people seem to notice is better for them vs say another brand. Have been looking at kuiu exo and mystery ranch. Thanks for the tips though i havent ever packed so i will definitely go to help get it adjusted correctly. Basically looking for tips to help reduce unnecessary stress, or if you have noticed a design or feature of a brand that helps.
fit is key to comfortable pack. my advice is , try on as many as you can to see which fits your body type the best. and if weight is an issue , check out all the minimalist u-tube videos on what to pack and how to cut weight.

I have a horseshoer's back, and carrying a heavy pack doesn't really bother it at all. I also work out quite a bit, and do a lot of core work, but I've found that the best way to prepare your body for carrying a lot of weight, is to put a pack on and carry a lot of weight. I try to make at least one of my workouts every week hiking with weight, or going to my kid's school, and walking up and down the bleachers with weight on my back (added benefit of making my kids cringe). I think as long as your back is healthy enough that you aren't risking further physical damage, and you build yourself up to be able to carry the load you expect to carry you'll be good. Most of the big name pack makers make good products, find the one that fits you the best, get some good trekking poles, and give it a go!

For sure looking forward to it. Will try to pack animals first with the bag. Then hopefully do a camp and what not on my back. Will certainly work to being able to do it comfortably. Wouldnt want to be several miles in and realize i cant do it. Thankfully i live in a small mountain town so i can get plenty of hikes with it before i actually spike camp with it. Still up in the air at this point between the metcalf or the kuiu pro packs. Both look awesome going to try them next time i am somewhere that carries packs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back