Back from Montana

CWeeks

Thought I'd post a pic of my goat I took in Montana last Thursday evening. Misjudged the size and ended up taking a young billy. Excellent adventure and nobody to blame but myself. Tried with the bow for 3 days and decided to change drainages and carry my rifle. I was looking at eleven goats and planning how to get to them the next morning when two goats came in lower and alot closer. Stalked up to treeline with about 5 minutes of shooting light left, comfired it was a billy and reachable but forgot to think about how old it looked(315yds) and shot. He rolled about 125yds and hung up on a rock, took 20min to reach him and dark for all the pics. Packed off the mountain side at 11:00pm to base camp, finished capping him at 1:00am, and pack 4 miles to trailhead the next morning. Long drive to Alabama after that. Thanks to Randy and Craig for all their help and maybe the experience will help me when I finally draw that Colorado tag.

Attachments

• goatsmfx.JPG
    goatsmfx.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,327
Nothing to be ashamed of. It will make a fine trophy, and the only one who you have to impress is yourself.

Nice work. Any other pictures of the hunt?

Here are a few pics of the beautiful scenery.

Attachments

• montana goat 082.jpg
    montana goat 082.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 1,299
  • montana goat 079.jpg
    montana goat 079.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 1,265
  • montana goat 077.jpg
    montana goat 077.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 1,275
  • montana goat 017.jpg
    montana goat 017.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 1,277
  • montana goat 005.jpg
    montana goat 005.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 1,321
Here is one of the goat sometime before the shot.

Attachments

• MGsmpics.JPG
    MGsmpics.JPG
    389.6 KB · Views: 1,276
Some pics of the morning after.

Attachments

• montana goat 059.jpg
    montana goat 059.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 1,254
  • montana goat 063.jpg
    montana goat 063.jpg
    362.7 KB · Views: 1,258
Big congrats on the successful hunt. Great pics....kinda takes me back.:D

First was in October and second July 4. Good times.

Attachments

• P1050494.jpg
    P1050494.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,192
  • P1020268 (Large).jpg
    P1020268 (Large).jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,193
Wow CW, that is a hell of a hunt and some great pics. For you to travel that far and pull that off is amazing. Congrats. Glad it worked out for you. Hope it was as fun as it looks in the pics.

That really is an awesome accomplishment.
Congrats on doing something 95% of the population would never even attempt.

What unit did you hunt? I've been putting into the Highwoods so hopefully I'll be able to pull it off, but this looks more like "The Bob". What was the trophy potential going in anyway? You may have done pretty decent regardless if the potential was low. Great area for sure and congrats.

I was in the Absaroka Beartooth wilderness below Livingston. My partners feet were down to meat on the heels and the first drainage we hunted was not as productive as I had thought it would be. I went to plan B which required hiking camp out of the first area and then four miles and over 3000 vertical feet to drop our camp gear and hunt up from there. I decided to swap the bow for the rifle before making the second hike as carrying both didn't sound good at the time, but now I'm kicking myself a little for not trying longer. To be honest, I felt there was a good chance of sticking a goat and having him move to an area and die where retrieving him would be dangerous. Kind of makes my elk hunts look kind of tame now, and I haven't even mentioned the bear scat big as a pile of horse manure right below where we camped with the goat.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back