Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Back from Africa

Wow, it rains there.When I went 2 years ago not a cloud in the sky for 10 days.I'm looking to take my boys there in the next 3-4 years.Its something to experience that's for sure.To answer the one guys questions,most SA is all high fence but your talking 40,000 acres at a shot.the animals are very wind cautious as they are here.My zebra was probably my toughest kill to make;they are on edge.Cost of my trip with 6 animals ran about 10k for 2 people 10 days and that includes shipping everything back and the shoulder mounts.You could certainly do it for around 6k if you did euro mounts and a few less animals.The plane ride is not fun.Mine was non-stop for 15 hours and 16 way home
I highly recommend the hunt.Its by no means simple except for a couple animals
You got some great trophies!!Those are real nice kudu,and the nyala is on my list next trip

Just the diversity of game animals over there is just astounding..... So many large mammals! Just some incredible pictures! Congrats!!

Africa...

I believe elkrchr has hit it on the button. Your first trip to Africa is merely a primer for your successive trips. We went to RSA in 2009 and 2011. We have a trip scheduled for April 2015. I continually think this will get it out of my system. Albeit, I am a realist and believe as long as I can do so I will continue to return to the dark continent as long as I am physically capable. Your trip appears to have been a resounding success, thank you for sharing. MTG

I must be the only one who has hunted Africa once and felt that was enough. I had a blast, and would recommend the experience to any hunter, but i don't have any desire to return there on a hunt.

What amazing trophies? Congrats to the both of you on incredible animals and great camera work also! I bet your taxidermist is going to be very happy with you. You two had one heck of a Safari. One of my biggest mistakes I ever made was going to Africa. Once the Dark Continent gets into your blood the only thing you think about is how to get back there. The amount of game is beyond belief and Africa boost some of the world's greatest critters. I remember as a child watching Mutual Of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and dreaming about going there to hunt. Then through hard work those dreams become a reality. Experiencing it first hand and marveling at such a vast ecosystem was beyond my wildest dreams. It has surely been one of the highlights of my hunting adventures. My third Safari is booked for April of 2016 in South Africa and I will be taking 9 friends and family members to experience it. I am very excited for them and knowing the adventure that awaits them only adds to my excitement. Africa is truly one of the world's greatest hunting destinations! Good huntin'

Last edited:
Unreal - post of the year nominee!
Amazing photos, thanks for taking me along on that virtual ride man. WOW!
(have to go look though this again)

big28hunter, funny you mention "Mutual Of Omaha's Wild Kingdom," I remember watching that and being intrigued with Africa as well because of the show. My memory is getting poor (a sure sign of old age setting in), but if I remember Marlin Perkins in black & white does that mean I'm getting old?

Whats the animal you took in the picture right after the kudu??I don't know what that one is.you went when the hunting is suppose to be tough too_Outstanding trophies,your kudu is a beast!!!

Great photos! Thanks for sharing that great trip. Out of curiosity, how long is the longest flight on the trip over there?

Whats the animal you took in the picture right after the kudu??I don't know what that one is.you went when the hunting is suppose to be tough too_Outstanding trophies,your kudu is a beast!!!
That's a common reedbuck after my brother's kudu and before the warthog photo. Hunting their summer is hot and the grass was pretty tall, but still great hunting.
MT Muey said:
Great photos! Thanks for sharing that great trip. Out of curiosity, how long is the longest flight on the trip over there?
The longest single leg was Atlanta to Johannesburg at 15.5 hours, when I saw that I wondered if we all had to carry a five-gallon gas can to refuel the plane on the way.

That's a common reedbuck after my brother's kudu and before the warthog photo. Hunting their summer is hot and the grass was pretty tall, but still great hunting.

The longest single leg was Atlanta to Johannesburg at 15.5 hours, when I saw that I wondered if we all had to carry a five-gallon gas can to refuel the plane on the way.

Holy smokes, I thought 4 hours was long. I will have to figure out a way to suffer through it.

big28hunter, funny you mention "Mutual Of Omaha's Wild Kingdom," I remember watching that and being intrigued with Africa as well because of the show. My memory is getting poor (a sure sign of old age setting in), but if I remember Marlin Perkins in black & white does that mean I'm getting old?

Watching that show brings back wonderful memories of my childhood. All 7 kids and mom and dad sitting in the front room in awe of such an awesome program. It was a weekly ritual for us. We certainly aren't getting an younger my friend but maybe wiser! Good huntin'

The call of "The Dark Continent" is strong. I dream about returning after reading your post. Our only grandson, only grandchild, will accompany us upon our return to RSA is 2015. I have been discussing this at length with him in hopes that the call of hunting will be strong. For those who have not hunted Africa I urge you to consider a trip for fond memories and grand hunting. My wife has accompanied on our two previous trips. She does not hunt but took a plethora of pictures for our albums. She has the calling to return as it indeed smack of pure adventure. Again, great story and well written. MTG

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back