Back for a bit

ELKCHSR

I'll be back for a bit, been in town for the last couple weeks, but since it is hunting season, and there are so many things to see, it is hard to sit still long enough to download pics from my trip to Mississippi...

So, to start with, I did put up a post from a hotel I was at on my journey down south, but after many changes of places for us to start, we ended up in Gulfport Mississippi to put up shelters.

The whole area was like working in a huge garbage dump.

What amazed me is the coverage that was put on New Orleans and that which wasn't put on Mississippi...

New Orleans had really only been flooded, Mississippi really got hammered.

At Waveland where we were doing most of our work, a thirty foot wave went three miles inland, as it washed back into the gulf, another one came in and spun absolutely every thing inside of a half mile of the water and for miles up and down the coast.

It looked like a war zone, which I will post pictures of over the next few weeks as I recount my visit into the wastelands that are now the Mississippi coast.

This is what we were greeted with for our housing, which was OK to a point, but there wasn't a lot of privacy, of course we didn't go down there for that any way.

Katrina116Small_original.jpg

We left Montana with the highs in the low 50's, and entered our new home away from home in the mid to upper 90's and an RH of 88 plus.

The mobile fire kitchen was still indoors because it was hiding from Rita, which kept the temps up to a very warm sleep for a couple day's, then they moved it outside, put in air conditioning and this all seemed to help a bit for the rest of the stay.

We were pretty lucky, this bay was always pretty empty, while thru a door to the side, a space of the same size was plumb full of Red Cross people, it looked as if they weren't having any fun at all, next to that was a bay that was usually a third full from FEMA people and the fourth space contained camp logistics.

Our first day out, we got to do a little sight seeing before we ended up at the place we had to work, the storm Rita had filled the road into where we had to go with debris and made it impassable.

Here is some of the things we got to see when we were driving around.

Katrina171Small_original.jpg

There were a lot of boats that met the same fate, most couldn't be found, or I spied them way out in the middle of no where miles from shore, hiding in the trees and brush.

Katrina126Small_original.jpg

Here’s one that tried to get away and didn't quite make it...

Katrina169Small_original.jpg

A lawn tractor hiding it's head in the sand, wishing it hadn't seen what it had...

This guy owned not only this couple of tractors, but 4 vintage Corvettes and some assorted motorcycles that would have been then envy of any one.

Katrina136Small_original.jpg

Katrina137Small_original.jpg

You can see one of the vets in the background plus a couple of vehicles we traveled down in.

This van obviously had seen better days, but not this day...

Katrina138Small_original.jpg

Katrina139Small_original.jpg

And none of this wasn't on the news????? But New Oreleans gets hit as well and its all over the place. Thanks for sharing the pics with us ELKCHSR.
Quick Draw

Thanks for Helping out! Yes, Everything was focused on New Orleans, because with the volitale Happenings it just made for better "National News". Our local channels covered the Regional damage, but then we had people who had people affected all around us in North Louisiana who told us what was going on down there. John

Plenty of pics...

I will be posting pics of our travels and some of the things we did...

This is all that’s left of the gas station in Waveland, the pump standing is only one of two structures in their original place, except for the concrete pylons that once held houses, the house in the background had floated off its foundation and isn't in it's original possition...

Katrina145Small_original.jpg

This is the other structure that was left semi intact, the only reason the top was still there was that it was above the thirty foot level of the waves that pounded this area and the base was strong enough to stay after the two first floors were slicked out, wires and all...

Katrina173Small_original.jpg

A service truck that has seen better days

Katrina172Small_original.jpg

This is a steel roof that was missing every thing else and wrapped around some trees, it was around 100 feet long.

Katrina148Small_original.jpg

All of these poles in the background had a lean, showing that there was a wind here and they had forgotten to stand back up straight when it was gone...

Katrina175Small_original.jpg

This is the train tracks the saved the region to the left of it from even more damage by slowing the flow of the flood as it crashed over it, the tracks didn't take the wave very well, but held their own.

Every thing to the left had been basically leveled with a few buildings standing, every thing to the right really only showed heavy signs of flooding.

Katrina142Small_original.jpg

Katrina135Small_original.jpg

This is mostly what was left of any structures in Waveland, or they were slicked right down to the concrete floors...

Katrina131Small_original.jpg

I makes my heart fall just to see pictures like that.
I can not believe what those people are going through.
To lose everything like that and have to start all over.
Thanks for posting those Russ.

Well thanks all...

I have a few more to share...

So here goes more of the same only different... :)

Whats left of a couple big metal buildings I found...

Katrina177Small_original.jpg

Katrina176Small_original.jpg

A roof top with a little appreciation for Katrina spelled out on it...

Katrina174Small_original.jpg

Katrina128Small_original.jpg
It reads, "Thanks 4 Nothing, Katrina, You Bitch!"

I thought this one was good, the yard was trashed with mountains of garbage every where in the yard and the house was a shambles, but the fence didn't take a hit at all, well except when FEMA came thru and wrote all over it...

Katrina127Small_original.jpg

This is what the roadsides looked like every where we went... I mean every where for miles and miles in any direction...

Katrina125Small_original.jpg

Katrina123Small_original.jpg

Katrina124Small_original.jpg

I hope every one is enjoying the pictorial as we go along here, there is plenty more to come, and this is some of the things the news media didn't seem to think was good enough for every one to see, for what ever thats worth...

I would fully agree with you Bill...

I just can't believe how the media just glossed over the devestation that took place on the shores of the U.S.

I wouldn't have believed it was as bad as any one would have said if I hadn't seen it first hand...

Here’s a power pole that is a little out of sync with where it's supposed to be, there were an awful lot of these lying about, especially along the water fronts, I don't think I remember one standing where it was supposed to be...

Katrina170Small_original.jpg

Trees were snapped off all over the place or just plain uprooted.

I think most of the reason they were all broke at this level is because when the second wave surge came in, this is where the water was washing back in and the trees just couldn't handle the forces going in both directions at the same time.

Katrina150Small_original.jpg

Katrina031Small_original.jpg

More pictures of the shear devastation around the Waveland area...

This wasn't just one yard picked out, I just took some pics and left the rest alone, there was just so much, and one couldn't take pics of them all...

I would liken it to taking pictures of rocks in a quarry, after you get a bunch of pics, they all look the same or pretty close, even if there are tens of thousands more to get pictures of...

Katrina149Small_original.jpg

Katrina140Small_original.jpg

Katrina129Small_original.jpg

Katrina122Small_original.jpg

Katrina058Small_original.jpg

Katrina032Small_original.jpg

More to follow in the next day or so, I will be putting up pictures of the Biloxi area next.

LOL Seth...

One can't immagine the devistation that took place where we were at.

It was bad enough to immerse onself into it for a couple weeks, it is some thing else to live full time in the middle of it with the end of the tunnel a long way off...

I don't believe there would be any way humanly possible to clean it all up with out lighting the whole region on fire to burn out the burnable stuff and then go in and collect every thing else that wouldn't.

I do have light at the end of this saga though, and it will show hope and some good things that were being accomplished while we were there...

I would say one thing though about how FEMA handled it, I was sticking up for FEMA before we left, and after what I saw first hand of the waste and total lack of coordination by this particular government agency, if I was president, the whole FEMA would be either gutted and started anew, or disbandad all together.

Biloxi...

Surrounding Biloxi was all of this, and at the check points were armed military personal that didn't look like they were in the mood to be joked with...

Katrina035Small_original.jpg

This area didn't get hit quite as hard as Waveland did, but the damage done is still far greater than the esteamed New Orleans.

For instance, in Waveland, the trees were hammered pretty good, broken and toppled pines and oaks were every where.

At least here, the oaks survived some of the onslaught that Katrina dished out. Mind you, the garbage was still strewn about as if one was visiting the local land fill.

Katrina130Small_original.jpg

Katrina020Small_original.jpg

Katrina019Small_original.jpg

As a whole though, a lot of the buildings that were well made stood the test of Katrina, not saying much for the walls and other parts of it, but the structure stayed...

Here is a McDonalds that has sea side dining now, with out the walls to get into the way of ones dining pleasure, take note of the flag, I think any flag that was found, was re-hung so that every one could see that patriotism and love of country was still strong, even in such a situation...

Katrina066Small_original.jpg

Houses along the water front didn't seem to be missing a lot on the outside, but on closer inspection had been gutted...

Katrina034Small_original.jpg

Katrina014Small_original.jpg

Katrina011Small_original.jpg

I'm not sure what this place is, but it reminded me of the types of old military places I have visited around the U.S. when I was in the Navy...

Notice the large holes in the sides of these buildings, the place looks as if it has suffered an air raid, or a tank brigade came by and used it as target practice...

Katrina029Small_original.jpg

and as has been going on....

MORE TO FOLLOW...

Chsr,
Those pics are amazing. It really is eye-opening to see the damage from your vantage point,.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back