AZ Loyalty Point Question

hunt1up

So I have 4 consecutive years of applications in for AZ. This 2016 spring was the 4th. So next year will be my 5th, which will give me a loyalty point. I'm wondering, does that point count on next year's app? Or would I need to wait until 2018 to actually see the benefit of that loyalty point?

My buddy and I are close to drawing our unit of choice on a group app next year, so every point counts!

Thanks in advance to anyone that can clarify that for me!

IIRC, you don't get the loyalty point until after the 5th year of application. So you wont get the loyalty point until after the 2017 draw. The loyalty point stays with you even after you draw as long as you don't miss an application for the species. As an example, after I drew desert sheep, I entered the draw for Rockies the next year with 2 points (loyalty and hunters ed).

However, what you may want to consider, if you haven't done so, it to take the AZ hunters ed class. You have to show up in person to take it, but they usually offer a couple a year. At least 1 is close enough to Vegas that you could fly there, take the class, and get the point.

The hunters ed point stays with you forever, for all species.

I took it about 12 years ago, and between loyalty and hunters ed points, you will never go into a draw with less than 2 points again. That really speeds up how often you can hunt AZ as a NR in some of the lower tier units. Hunters just starting have to apply 2 years just to catch up if you have both loyalty and preference points.

Last edited:
IIRC, you don't get the loyalty point until after the 5th year of application. So you wont get the loyalty point until after the 2017 draw.

However, what you may want to consider, if you haven't done so, it to take the AZ hunters ed class. You have to show up in person to take it, but they usually offer a couple a year. At least 1 is close enough to Vegas that you could fly there, take the class, and get the point.

The hunters ed point stays with you forever, for all species.

I took it about 12 years ago, and between loyalty and hunters ed points, you will never go into a draw with less than 2 points again. That really speeds up how often you can hunt AZ as a NR in some of the lower tier units...

Thanks for the insight. I was also planning on trying to burn some airline points to get out there this summer. I assume that point would stick for next year if I did it this summer?

Thanks for the insight. I was also planning on trying to burn some airline points to get out there this summer. I assume that point would stick for next year if I did it this summer?

Yes, the hunters ed point sticks with you for life...you will always have 1 point going in to any draw.

Yes, the hunters ed point sticks with you for life...you will always have 1 point going in to any draw.

Right, but it would kick in as soon as I take it? Say, for example, I take the course this coming December...I can use that point in 2017?

Yes, I took it in the spring, prior to that years draw and it was in the system by the time I applied.

Yes, I took it in the spring, prior to that years draw and it was in the system by the time I applied.

Perfect. I'll pencil in a time to get out there. I have friends there and some Southwest points to burn. Should be able to do it for the cost of food and a few beers while I'm there.

I'll 2nd what Buzz said about when you get your loyalty point. Last year was my 5th year of applying and I only had 4 going into the draw. After the draw, it showed me with 5+1 and so I went into the draw this year with 6.

Back