AZ Coues Deer

Catfish Campbell

Went down to near Nogales this last weekend to try our luck on filling some of those left-over tags Game and Fish had remaining for Coues Deer. Saturday, we seemed to find a hunter on top of each peak and only saw a bunch of does with spike bucks (ended up calling yotes instead most of the day). Sunday, did some major hiking up the Colorado Mountains and spent all day glassing with only finding more Does up on top and some pretty large spiders with giant webs, but nothing with horns. Monday morning all the hunting camps had disappeared and we decided to go back to the Colorado's and hunt another area. Long story short, we found these two bucks about a mile away. After stalking and some major climbing to get into position, I made ~400 yard shot on the big one (9-point), dropping him immediately. The smaller 6 point just stood around and my buddy ended up shooting him on the next shot. Overall, was a fun hunt considering they were left-over tags!

BTW, there is a war going on between our two countries (Mexico and US)...was amazed at the Border Patrol and illegal activities going on...

coues_hunt_bill_and_ladd1.jpg

coues_hunt_bill_1.jpg

Nice bucks! Congrats.

Beautiful job there fellas,and that a dandy Coues.I sure miss hunting that area,but back in the day there was to much foot traffic for me abd I stopped hunting that area.Kinda messed up when your calling dogs and come back to your truck and have afew wetback hanging out leaning against your truck..........Anyhow ! yeah!

Thanks for sharing the pic's It sure makes me miss home.

Nice hunt guys! Great idea waiting for the weekend warriors to go home. You look wiped out, but you really earned your bucks! We're neighbors, so don't be a stranger! I'd love to hunt coues sometime. I never have, but saw a dandy buck in 22 while chasing javelinas. Let's compare notes sometime!

Again, congratulations!

AZ402....heres a little clearer pic of the bucks on grass. Sort of scary thing happened when we got down to take a look at them. While going to pick up the deer head on the big one, looked down and this little rattle snake was quietly coiled up no more than 2 inches from my foot. Luckily he never striked, but definitely made me jump higher than i thought possible!

JohnSWA....give me a call sometime...maybe can hook up on sometime...thx, ladd

Very nice coues , Its hard to keep my politics out of the southern units... but Glad to see that there are plenty of hunters going down there.... Coues used to be an after thought 25 yrs ago.. 4000-6000 tags left over was common...... nice to see that if you look around you can find some nice bucks.... too bad about the border issues...How was your camp? did you feel safe?....Good Job and thanks for the pics... I do miss hunting in those Octotillo's and Daggers..

Congrats boys. I have a tough enough time hunting those things, never mind adding in the whole border skirmish thing. Sucks for sure but it didn't seem to bother you you fella's much........beautiful country and deer.......

Great job Catfish. I have been invited down to do that someday. I need to take advantage of that offer. Seems like a ton of fun.

Congrats to both of you.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back