Axis doe!

Tom

Here's a new hunting buddy of mine. :) I got the axis doe inbetween us earlier this week.

I'm getting the hide tanned to make a pillow, plus, they taste great!

axisterrytom.jpg

The axis doe was hanging in a cooler, then we got it out for the picture on the way back to town, so it was pretty stiff. We do that a lot here, put criters in a cooler to cool down. Private ranches with a lot of game and hunting have a cooler to hang game in, its so hot here, so often. That way the game meat can cool down while you and your buddies do other things, like go hunt some more. We had a good time, it was our third hunt together. I hope we get to hunt together some more, we'll see.

I hunt in the hill country of Texas, and can vouch for the fine eatin' of Axis.
Was told it's because they eat a more varied diet than whitetails. Bob
plus they are real purdy

Small world there Herbie, you called it, Rhodes Taxidermy and Meat Processors. I like their night drop off going back to town a lot. We were at the 7OL landowners part of the YO Ranch. You must go up that way, if you know Rhodes hats??

Howdy Tom, I think the axis are some of the prettiest animals we have in the Hill Country. I have a small herd of about 15 and they are about my favorite of all the animals we have. We have a couple dandy bucks just coming out of velvet. They are real "regal" looking animals.

I drive that road all the time between Ingram and Mountain Home and have hunted one ranch on left a bit, up closer to Mountain Home. Woodbury's is high dollar for me, I just go look at their showroom.

Hey Bob, got any pictures? I'll be they do look great. Pretty dry there still?

Tom, Ilive in Kaufman County. Haven't been down there since Jan.1.
I do think it is still dry down there.
I have hunted the same place since 1977, but now only hunt one third of
it. We deal with the grandson of the people we did in '77.
Will have to check for pics. I don't have a digicam, but did have a few pics
unless i deleted them. Bob

Back