Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Axis buck hunt

Jack O'Conner

I'm itchy for an axis buck trophy. Been researching various sources but no actual recommendations from someone who has hunted any particular ranch.

Obviously there are the good, bad, and ugly operations. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good place to hunt axis deer?

Thank you.
Jack

Yes Jack,

I was down in Texas in Dec. at Rancho Del Sol just outside Fredericksberg, in the hill country and harvested a super buck. I also glassed 2 that were larger but still in velvet and I wanted hard horn. the ranch is a 1st class operation and the hunting is world class. The owners name is Michael Carroll 1 800 293 5312 ask for Mike or you can check it out on the web at www.ranchodelsolhuntclub.com I've hunted all over the planet and that ranch is one of the best. as far as guides go ask for Kevin Eckhardt he will work for ya and knows that ranch like the back of his hand.

Good luck and good huntin
Dic

Dic, What did it cost? It looks pretty fancy. I can take someone to Thompson's place for a $1500 axis and a $125/day guide fee and am allowed to trade the guide fee, if you wanted to. There are several axis over 30 inches there every year, which would probably make gold level in Records of Exotics. The little cabin there is free, but no city water(we take that ourselves), just electricity for heat and AC. Most axis get hard antlered here in Aug. 777ranch.com and yoranch.com are some more first class accomodation and hunting ranches here with axis.
smile.gif

Here's the axis I got at Thompson's ranch last summer.

hunttalk.jpg

Here's where we stay, if you want good accomodations, instead of the free cabin, when hunting one of Thompson's ranches.

http://www.innofthehills.com/

We get a hunter's rate there, like $52/night, instead of $100 at some other places.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-16-2003 12:31: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

Tom, his prices are posted on his web page someplace. I don't remember for sure but I think it was 1500.00 for the Axis but I got a package deal on 8 animals. I also hunted the 777ranch with Alan Warran for management bucks and saw a tremendous amount of game of all kinds. I did think it was a little spendy.
I would like to hunt the YOranch sometime soon. I am going back to rancho del sol this spring for a Damma Gazell and maybe another Black Buck antelope.
I noticed that the Axis bucks were in all stages of horn groth, some were hard horned while some had cast and were growing new racks while still others were in the velvet at the end of the groth and ready to rub the velvet off. When I shot mine (hard horn)I also saw two big bucks that would break 35" and also found a shead antler that was still bloody. I was told that Axis cast their antlers every year on the day they were born and that they breed all year round. so you can see all stages of antler groth at any time of year. Was news to me, also got into that (long spike/short spike) discussion with the owner of the ranch. He was telling me that they remove the long spikes from their herd every year.
That was new to me also, as a spike is a spike a 1 1/2 year old deer. I was told that a long spike was 2 1/2 years old and not fit to be in the herd. To me the differance between a long spike and a short spike is maybe 30 days differance between births and or feed/minerals and proteen durring antler developmental stages (I hope that came out right)LOL

Would love your input Tom,and that is a good Axis your holding. even has some carictor points.

I'm done
Dic
soapbox.gif
confused.gif

Wow, you hunted with Allen Warren, so, are you going to be on TV with Allen Warren, he's the TV show guy, right?

Yes, axis can be hard, at any time, but most get hard in the summer.

The whitetail spike issue is changing, at least, still in debate. Texas has a special season for taking them out in many counties based on the TPWD study, that was very controlled mating of the deer. They have had a follow up study, further supporting the first large studies result. It says, stress deer with low protein to see if they are a spike then. If so, those are the ones to cull out. I guess an early Miss. study and a currently ongoing study in south Texas trapping deer out in the wild, with less control on their mating behavior, show some spikes get really big and catch up to fork horns after 3 years. That study will be complete in a couple years I think.

So, are you going to be on TV?

"his prices are posted on his web page someplace" ??????

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-16-2003 12:41: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

No Tom I'm not the Tv kinda guy and Alen likes to hunt off tv sometimes to. My son and soon to be son-in-law will be on the Gary Finch outdoors program sometime in the fall of 03. We hunted with Gary and his camera man Steve this last Dec. at Rancho Del Sol. Gary shot a good buck with his bow.

Tom, I got my hands in everyware with this youth hunter program I meet lots of folks. I'm on the Barnes X-tream hunting team. I'm the state director for TNUSA (Ted Nugent United Sportsmen of America). I write a collum for the Idaho Hunter Magazine. I get to meet lots of interesting people.

Wife says dinner is ready gotta go
Dic
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Thompson has had some 36 inch axis on his hunts too, but you can't count on there being one that big each year. He regularly and predictably has several over 30 though. That long side on the one I got and am holding there is 34 1/2, that and the Hunt Talk hat make for a big smile.

Is your magazine on line somewhere for me to read?

Tom,
you are thinking of Kieth Warren with Chevy sportsman I think. and no I dont hunt with him. Was just thinkng about that and a light came on. Allen Warren Is a vet and a white tail expert, who works with ranches to help them grow bigger deer.

the light is off now
Dic
yawn.gif

Thanks for the friendly and mature input. I'm checking out your suggestions this week and will book a hunt before Jan 27th.

I wish all the replies were as helpful and mature as yours. There are some unfriendly punks with negative attitudes on this forum that have frankly made me consider leaving for good.
Jack

Unfriendly Punks with Negative attitudes ? I might have missed all those posts. Post a link for me please.

I went and Replied, If that was the Topic, I thought it was OK too. there is no reason why everyone has to agree. Thats like me getting mad because I post a picture of a Game ranch animal and someone doesn't like it. I hunt with and Shoot what I want. You don't need to like it.

Jack, Lighten up and HAve a beer and Stay ahile. If that topic offended you and you feel you need to leave, Sorry to hear that.

On the Axis buck, GOOD luck and keep us informed. I'm anxious to hear the results and See a pic or two.

The guy called me a recoil pussy.

Look under RIFLE, then the post that starts out- Any .243 fans.

Scroll down. He even used a beevus butthead charactor to show his level of maturity.

Jack; Greenie actually said there were better big game cartridges unlessyou can not handle recoil,and after reading your follow up post in the rifle forum I would say you guys are saying the same thing
confused.gif
smile.gif

No need to discuss Greenies MAturity, We all know he Packs a 2" package and has a dork looking complex. Also, he likes to make fun of people becasue He didn't shoot abear last year. I know for a fact he's imature because I've hunted with Greeny a few times and consider him a good friend...

Also, Greeny is a bit unmature on the boards but we sure can't call him a non-hunter, Heres a few pics of a Booner lope he shot this year and a booner Elk and a deer..

2002%20FREAK.jpg

2002%20Elk%20Kurt.jpg

2002%20Kurt%20rifle%20deer.jpg

Even still... We know he's a dork !!!!!

I shot a deer this year with a 338 and a 223. People down here use the 243 a lot, I guess they don't in Montana. I didn't read the thread, but a 243 is fine around here for a lot of deer hunting.

Right, I was thinking of Keith Warren but he has a brother Allen who does more fishing shows than hunting shows. It sounds like the Allen Warren you are talking about may be somebody else.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 01-21-2003 14:13: Message edited by: Tom ]</font>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back