Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Avoiding Canned Hunts

Kingsnake

Howdy! I am an east coast guy still planning my first elk hunt. Since it will be my first time on any western hunt, I will be looking at a guided hunt first time out. One of the sporting goods outfitters that offers an online service for booking hunts has several hunts available in multiple states. I have noticed that in their description of the different outfitters and their amenities and hunting options, many of their suggested elk outfitters are listed as also having "some African plains game available."

Should this be a red flag for me and should I avoid such outfitters? I am not trying to judge others if this is their choice, but I want a fair chase hunt. Even if it means I go home empty handed, I would prefer to feel like it was really a 'hunt' and not just picking out which of the ranchers "livestock" I want to kill.

Thanks!

Kingsnake

Most African hunting is done during our summers or off-season, so it may just mean the guy has connections or even works in Africa as well. Ask and make sure it isn't on a high-fence property or 'game farm' if you're concerned and unsure. Also, make sure you know who the actual outfitter is and not just the booking company, then check his references.

I think you might have seen that if you looked at the Cabelas website. A while back, I happened to look at the ad on Cabelas for the ranch I hunt in Chama, New Mexico, and they stated that "some African game animals available". Not on the ranch I hunt !! I also checked their (Cabelas) ads for several other New Mexico ranches, and it also states the same. It must be something they put in the ranch description. I personally have been on three ranches within the area I hunt in the past 25 years, and none have "African Game", but Cabelas states that they are available.

In New mexico, they have free ranging Oryx or Gemsbock.

To avoid canned hunts, just ask "Is this a high fence operation ?

Better yet, look for the words "Fair chase" or ask, is this a fair chase hunt.
If they squrim, or tell you "the animals are just as wild, it's just as tough, then it IS a canned hunt, in my humble opinion.

A friend of mine booked an elk hunt a few years back. While telling me about it, he mentioned the outfitter had "guaranteed" him a shot at an elk. I politely told him, "that is a canned hunt". Oh no, the outfitter assured me they are wild elk. When he returned with his "340 class bull ( about 305-310) he admitted it was like shooting a cow in a pen.

Thanks, guys. Yes, it was the Cabela's site I was surfing. I have a friend who went on one of their trips a couple of years ago and took a nice 6 x 6...and he said it was a "hunt." But I spoke with a native NM friend of mine and he said there is an outfit in Chama that is "Chama Land & Cattle." He wasn't exactly thrilled with their approach. Not sure if this were the same outfitter or not, but it got my radar going.

I took a bear in 2001 in Maine. The rug looks great on the wall and the week spent up there was fantastic, especially the fishing, but shooting the beast as it approached the bucketful of Hostess products and syrup didn't exactly make I felt like I had done much.

I watched a video of hunting African species on a Texan ranch, they also advertise Elk, not for me!
Cheers
Richard

Growing up in Michigan you could always sort through the canned hunts by looking to see if they had the following phrase in the ad: "No License Needed!"

That was a sure giveaway.

You should really consider trying on your own, especially if you want to make sure you're getting the true experience. My buddies and I talked and talked about it but finally just picked a state, did a lot of research and went for it. We have gone every year since (think 7 years now) and as long as I'm able, I don't plan on missing a year until I'm dead.
There are lots of opportunities in a bunch of states that are not hard to figure out with a little homework. The most expensive element is the fuel to drive there - which you will have anyway going to meet the outfitter.

The experience is well worth it!
"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph" Thomas Paine

I took a bear in 2001 in Maine. The rug looks great on the wall and the week spent up there was fantastic, especially the fishing, but shooting the beast as it approached the bucketful of Hostess products and syrup didn't exactly make I felt like I had done much.
That's not much different than putting out a food plot to attract deer all summer and then sitting in a blind and shooting a buck that has abnormally large antlers because of all the mineral supplements they get fed.
That's not my idea of "hunting".

I bait bear every spring on federal public land...would'nt miss it for the world. Theres always lots of competion, and very wary bears are the norm. Try scouting new spots, collecting large amounts of bait, hauling it a couple of times a week and and finally hunting your chosen stand all while holding down a full time job! Believe me you'll feel like your doing a lot! I have never felt like I have done much on a giuded hunt no matter what type of animal.

Back to the topic...Try looking for an Elk outfit what requires you to apply throught the state for a tag.

Back