Average Joe's 2020

Arriving back to camp on opening day we found out one of the guys in the neighbor camp shot a bull at a tank 4.5 miles away (YUCK!)
So we offered to help them pack it out the next day.
So day two we spend most of the day packing out the bull.

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0892.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

It was a long day's pack, but they certainly were appreciative! That night they cooked us some filets, mashed taters, and some other treats!
I should also mention that the neighbor camp had a set up so we could watch the hockey playoffs each evening... talk about a rough camp life!
IMG_0770.jpg

The weather was extremely hot (4 or 5 days with temps over 90s) and very dry. Most people fought over water, so I decided to stay away from that drama.
A few days into the hunt, CJ and another buddy showed up to play in the mountains.

The first day CJ and I went out we ended up almost sealing the deal on a pretty nice bull!

IMG_0977.JPG
Can you see the bull on the right side?

FEF591D8-51FB-4564-8C59-55BBF2DF2318.JPG

IMG_0975.JPG

IMG_0974 2.JPG

As I crept down closer to the bull the wind shifted when I was about 60 yards out. He stood up and looked straight up the ridge. We think he may have seen the sun hit CJ's lense or more swirling wind, but he up and left. I had the ground to stalk about 20 yards and it would have been over.... so close, but still fun to get pictures.

Alright, so lots of time had gone by and lots of bulls had been passed.
CJ and my friend Chad left and now the weather was starting to get a lot better.

Sept 9th.....
Well that morning was kind of silly. I went to an area I’ve been working all week, super excited because it was finally cooler. Around 9 for some stupid reason I decided to FaceTime someone. It was super windy so I wasn’t too concerned. Next thing I know I hear this wack ass bugle pop off behind me. I hang up and turn around and see 2 cows about 20 yards away working behind me. I watched them for a while and then when they walked off I got back on the phone, kind of confused on where the bugle came from.
Next thing I know I look down and this bull emerges. Every bit of 350”
So I sprint down the hill after him, and get so a spot where he’s gonna cross two windows. The bigger window is 42 and the smaller is 40.
I get ready to set up a shot in the big window, but he doesn’t stop. Stops in the little window. I fire....

And there is a branch in window number two that I overlooked

IMG_1159.jpg

So that evening I went back up to the burn where I had been getting into elk consistently and glassed an area that I felt a bull might be bedded.
Around 5PM I see a bull stand up as I'm texting my buddy.
He was 310 yards away and at first I was unsure if he was the one.... however the more I glassed him, the more I knew it was go time....

IMG_1207.jpg

I mentioned the bull was 310 yards away.
The wind was perfect as I snuck down to the little bowl he was feeding in. I was side skirting a cliff using game trails and eventually was able to stalk my way to about 40 yards above him. He fed under me as calm as can be and I had all the time in the world to wait for the perfect shot, I drew, I went through my mental checklist, and... thwack.

The shot felt good, looked good, and I was almost positive I heard him crash. Still I gave him 30 minutes to lay and then I started my track.
Blood was really good lung blood and it didn't take long for me to find this.

IMG_1177.jpg

I took a few deep breaths before I walked over and had a relaxing moment to myself... boy was I stoked.

IMG_1197.jpgIMG_1193.jpgIMG_1234.jpgIMG_1244.JPG

It's dry they say... Sit water they say...

You tell me which water looks best to you?
IMG_20200916_173852.jpgIMG_20200916_163754.jpgIMG_20200916_162959.jpgIMG_20200916_122351.jpgIMG_20200916_121439.jpg

The rut action is not really happening yet. This morning was the first morning I had bulls bugling past a half hour after sunrise. I've found a few really good bulls and a handful of raghorns, but haven't been able to seal the deal yet. I actually could've shot more big muley bucks than elk so far.

Hopefully something happens to kickstart the rut, because this is kinda boring when compared to every other New Mexico elk hunting I've been on. Oh... And the winds remind me of Oregon (inconsistent, and always wrong when you need them to be right)

It's still early.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back