Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Average Joe's 2020

sn.outdoors

Welp... It's that time again!

We've been holding off on starting this thread until we knew whether or not either of us would even be able to hunt this year.... DoD and COVID are trying to throw all sorts of wrenches in our plans. Dan and I have acquired a few good tags for this fall and hope to make good use of them, hopefully the restrictions back off and we can go hunting. We haven't done any scouting or trips this year thanks to the restrictions. So it's been a long and boring summer so far.

Another challenge we're both going to deal with is a significant increase in our job responsibilities. I guess that's just par for the course when you've been in the military for a little while. We'll do our best to hunt hard and share the stories as they develope.

As far as my tag situation goes, I drew the same NM archery elk tag I had last year, a really good NM muzzleloader deer tag, and a AZ rifle coues tag for Nov/Dec.

IMG_20200706_140105_034.jpg

IMG_20200423_180359_530.jpg

I plan to hunt OTC barbary in NM and some OTC deer and antelope in Oklahoma.

Regardless of how it all turns out, I really look forward to getting another season started and actually seeing the hills.

Here's one project I was able to get some work done on during the shutdown.

IMG_20200511_195406.jpg

I bought a 45cal smokeless muzzleloader barrel for one of my savage actions. She's hefty, but the weight and muzzle brake keep the recoil tolerable.

IMG_20200511_192102.jpg

I'll be using these 300gr Arrowhead XLD bullets in front of a healthy dose of blackhorn209.

received_247270346370406.jpeg

Still need to get a load dialed in and confirm my drops out at distance, but it's looking like it'll be a significant step up in capability over my old 50cal.

I really hope to have a better year writing and capturing my hunts this year.
Last year became so busy with work and other stressors that the 2019 thread kind of died off.
I ended the 2019/2020 season with a very cool FL buck that I shot Feb 3rd and a mississippi hunt. I will get pictures of that posted after this post.

This year has already proven itself crazy with a new position at work (more stress, but oh well) and other challenges, not to mention COVID! However it's all good, I have a very fun season planned ahead.

So far this season I have a New Mexico gila archery elk tag, an Iowa whitetail tag, Kansas whitetail tag, then add in your typical sprinkle of Oklahoma, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, and possibly Kentucky! I also plan to drive to Wyoming after my hunt to assist some buddies in elk camp and scout some units for antelope and elk next year.

It's going to be a fun season! NM elk is only 45 days away!

Looking forward to following you guys again this year.
Good luck and stay safe.
Hopefully, the weather will cool down by sn.outdoors hunt
in Dec. It was 91deg. for a low in Phx. this morning.💥

I didn't post it in the 2019 thread, but at the end of the 2019/2020 season I went out to Mississippi with a good hunting buddy.
During this trip I was able to finally fill a life long dream. I was able to boat across a pond, hunt, and come out successful with a deer in the boat.
I'd always dreamed of a canoe or john boat picture with a big monster buck that I killed somewhere because I used water access.
Well.... let's just say this wasn't a monster by any means, more so a Mississippi COUES. :D

It didn't matter, both my buddy and I shot deer on that hunt and we had a BALL.

IMG_1439.JPG
IMG_1483.JPG

Then I was able to wrap up my 19/20 season down here in Florida with a buck that I killed Feb 3rd. This wasn't just any buck, it was my biggest FL buck and was full of character. He had a double throat patch, both ears were busted from fighting, he was aged at 5.5 years, AND he was a BIG 6! Very big for FL, but I'd shoot this 6 in just about any state and be tickled. He came in at 92".

The kicker of the whole story is I shot him at 4 yards, on the ground, with no blind!!!! LET ME TELL YOU IT WAS A RUSH!!!!

IMG_1643.JPG
IMG_1613.JPGIMG_1612.JPGIMG_1616.JPG

I got in some great shooting this weekend with the bow.
My little arrow caddy was a great help!
IMG_8365.jpg
IMG_8367.jpg

Then I grabbed my weighted back this evening and went out to hike/scout an area that I want to archery hunt this year.
I saw a total of 17 deer, mostly does, one turkey, and this guy...

IMG_8385.jpg
IMG_8386.jpg

IMG_8401.jpgIMG_8402.jpgIMG_8407.jpg

It was a great evening!

I will be following along as usual!

Thanks buddy! We've been radio silent because neither of us have done anything yet. Lol. We're semi locked down and busy with family, work and life.

This is the first year that hunting hasn't been my #1 priority, and honestly I'm okay with that. All of you guys know what's really important in life and Dan and I have been highly focused on those things that matter.

That said, we're ALMOST there! Dan's hunt starts in less than 2 weeks! And I'm less than 30 days out from my hunt. We're excited to get this season going.

Well I made it back, everything is cleaned and unpacked, head is dropped off to become a euro mount, and meat is processed! Life is still crazy as can be, but I have some time so I figured I'd sit down and write some stuff out.

I arrived into camp mid day August 31st. I had planned on being out there a day or two earlier, but due to work and a leaking water pump I got on the road late. I'm glad the leaking water pump was found though, I didn't need another blown motor on a hunting road trip, one is enough!

The area we had marked as primary camp already had two gentleman set up there. However after talking to them for a little while, they asked us to camp next to them. Then we could watch over each other's camp. They were super great people and we will circle back to them here a little later in the story.

With camp set up, we did some quick evening glassing and waited for opener!

Opener -

Early in the morning I climbed up to a high peak overlooking a burn (from 2018) and started glassing.
IMG_0762.jpg

After a little glassing I was able to locate 3 bulls about 1200 yards away and decided to get a close look.
I was able to sneak in above one that had broken off from his buddies. I was 150 yards above him with the wind in my favor.

IMG_0789.jpg

IMG_0794.jpg

What happened next was pretty unreal. I mentioned I found them originally 1200 yards away.
Well I decided to continue my stalk in on this bull because he peaked my interest a bit.

150 yards, 80 yards, 60 yards, 50, 30....20.....10.....
This guy was in some super thick brush called "cat claw" bedded up.
8 yards..... 5 yards.... 4 yards..... OK, I need to stop.
Here I stood 4 yards away from a bedded bull who had no idea I was there.
He was a young 6x7 and would have been my biggest bull to date, but I wasn't sure what to do. I ended up messaging a few of my buddies to ask for help. Any other unit and I would have shot him, but being the Gila and opening day, my gut was just saying "no".
After talking to CJ and another buddy I decided to pass and snap a few pictures instead.

IMG_0809.jpg

What a cool experience!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back