Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Auto trolling motor?

stevejfarms

Does anyone have any experience with these? I fish alone a lot, the older I get, the clumsier I get. It would be nice to launch the boat and take it to the dock with a remote. I would also like being able to automatically follow a countour and maintain speed. I’m not trolling crankbaits or anything, just spider rigging for crappie and fishing ledges for bass. What say you?

I don’t have one but have fished with one once trolling Kokanee. It was pretty darn awesome IMO. The ability to stay on the fish, make passes through them and have both people on board actively fishing was pretty great

Are you asking specifically about the auto deploy features of trolling motors in general? I had issues with my Ulterra which has the auto deploy feature… it wouldn’t deploy and there is no way to manually deploy it. I wouldn’t own another one for that reason. otherwise the spot lock, auto pilot and cruise control features of modern day trolling motors is a must have in my opinion. Can’t imagine fishing without it now

I have an Ulterra and like it quite a bit. I had trouble with it early on, but it was a plug issue, I upgraded plugs and heavier wire running to the batteries. Since then, I've had no trouble. The spot lock and trolling features are amazing. I bought it because of river fishing winter walleyes and found it safer and more comfortable to use that and spot lock rather than an anchor. I never trusted it fully enough to launch with it but i don't see why it wouldn't work fine.

I don’t fish a lot, but I used to bow fish a decent amount. I had a Minn kota that had their remote control on it, and it was great. I kept the remote on my wrist and could keep my bow in hand and ready.

Last edited:
I have a terrova so no auto deploy but it does have spot lock, and will link to my hummingbirds.

I have seen on reviews where the ulterra has deployed in rough water while the boat is under way.

I have an older Autopilot with added Co-pilot. I've never used it to launch & retrieve to dock, just not trusting enough despite seeing others do it often.
Most of my fishing is also for crappie, but long lining cranks & jigs. I'd really like to get set up for spider rigging, just need to get the gear. Because Michigan has had a 2 line restriction that only recently expanded to 3 per person, spider rigging is something that never was popular here.
I mostly fish alone and like the Autopilot. It allows me to bring in fish while the boat continues on the path I've set. The remote allows for quick adjustments from anywhere in the boat.

I also have the Terrova and have had very good luck with it. Not sure what boat you have but will want to keep one thing in mind when looking: a 36v unit is going to take 3 batteries and you will want a a 3 bank charger with them. This takes up quite a bit of space in a smaller boat, so you may want to consider a 24v unit if space is an issue

I don’t fish a lot, but I used to bow fish a decent amount. I had a Minnesota that had their remote control on it, and it was great. I kept the remote on my wrist and could keep my bow in hand and ready.
I have a remote control for mine to. IMO, It depends what kind of fishing you like to do if you will like the remote. If you are trolling and moving about the boat checking different poles, you’ll probably like it. But if you are stationary in the bow casting or jigging it can be a PIA.

I have a remote control for mine to. IMO, It depends what kind of fishing you like to do if you will like the remote. If you are trolling and moving about the boat checking different poles, you’ll probably like it. But if you are stationary in the bow casting or jigging it can be a PIA.
Don’t they still have a foot pedal as well?

I have an older Autopilot with added Co-pilot. I've never used it to launch & retrieve to dock, just not trusting enough despite seeing others do it often.
Most of my fishing is also for crappie, but long lining cranks & jigs. I'd really like to get set up for spider rigging, just need to get the gear. Because Michigan has had a 2 line restriction that only recently expanded to 3 per person, spider rigging is something that never was popular here.
I mostly fish alone and like the Autopilot. It allows me to bring in fish while the boat continues on the path I've set. The remote allows for quick adjustments from anywhere in the boat.
That sucks, I run 8 up front if it’s slow. When it’s a good bite I will cut down to 4 or six.

You have the option of using the remote or the foot pedal with the Ulterra, and can use either or at anytime

I can’t do without my minnkota …I do a lot of dragging baits for catfish and the remote control is vital for me. The spot lock is a great feature as well. If you buy one and can spend the money go with the 36 volt. My used boat came with a 12 volt and it doesn’t last long at all when it comes to battery life. I don’t trust auto deploy so I don’t ever use it. If I launch in the MS river and it fails my boat will be gone in minutes.

I have an ulterra on my warrior 2090, and it is super nice to be able to stay in the back of the boat and hit the deploy button as I get to a spot. No more running to the front of the boat to drop the trolling motor down. I had the trolling motor linked to a humminbird for a short time, but I really don't like the humminbird units so I got rid of it. I never used the follow the contour feature anyway.

While I don’t trust my ulterra enough for launching the boat, I do have a talon, which is a shallow water anchor. I have a 14' one and it is probably the best thing I have for launching the boat solo. Everyone I know who uses their ulterra to launch their boat has had to get wet at least once to get the boat back. Whether it got stuck, disconnected, or just forgot to turn it on, it will happen to you at some point!

I've only used my Ulterra one fishing season and the double tap deployment has worked flawlessly.

The spot lock anchoring is great! Not tried the gps routing, yet.

I've not used it when launching solo. Hadn't thought to try as I've always used a rope tied to the rear of the trailer and the other end to the boat bow.
Once the boat slides off the trailer, I stop the truck, untie the rope from the trailer, and guide the boat to the dock and tie it to the dock cleats.
Park the truck, hop in the boat and off I go.

That's an interesting idea to use the Ulterra to suspend the boat to park the truck and return to head out. I think I'll stick to my rope - haha!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back