Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

August Caribou in AK

dexnrex

I'm still pretty new to the site, so even though it took place last month I thought I would share a breif story and some photos from my first caribou hunt in AK.

I got a call on Monday Aug. 16th from a friend in Fairbanks asking if I wanted to hunt caribou in AK with him. I said of course I would as it has been on my "some day" list for quite a while. He said the catch was I had to be to Fairbanks by Friday so we could fly out Saturday morning. A spontaneous hunt in AK to me would be a hunt with 6 mo. notice. I didn't think with work, family and travel considerations that it was possible, but long story short, I was in Fairbanks ready to go Saturday morning.

We were flown n.e. of Fairbanks and camped on a narrow mountain ridge above timberline. Being only my second trip to AK I was in awe.

We started hunting on Sunday morning seeing a lot of caribou, but in that vast country seeing them and getting into position for a bow shot are worlds apart. Finally in the evening I was able to make a play on a great bull getting to 66 yds. as he passed below me eventually stopping at 80yds. No shot. Those damn things are either on the move or just about to move some more.

The following morning I was on my way to sit in an active saddle and wait for the caribou to pass by. I never made it to the saddle. A small herd of cows and calves and small bulls came up the valley so I moved into position on them just in case a there was a bigger bull around. They passed by between 35 and 50 yds. When they had gone by I looked back down the valley and there was a lone bull coming up the valley just as the herd had done. I sat tight and he follow the exact path of the herd. At 35 yds. I drew, he stopped and looked at me I squeezed off and now it's time for a few photos then break down and pack a caribou back to camp.

The following morning it started to rain and we spent the next two days in the tent with 50yd. visibility and rain.

Thursday moring dawned cold and clear and the pilot was able to come and pick us up.

Awesome hunt. I can wait to get back.

Attachments

• DSCN9428.jpg
    DSCN9428.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 399
  • DSCN9435.jpg
    DSCN9435.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 397
  • DSCN9443.jpg
    DSCN9443.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 401
  • DSCN9447.jpg
    DSCN9447.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 391
  • DSCN9455.jpg
    DSCN9455.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 400
Wow that is a great bull! Sounds like a great time. I'd love to go hunt those migrating caribou with my bow someday. My brother says it's one of the funnest hunts he's been on. Thanks for sharing. That land is addicting for sure.

Nice looking bull! Looks great on the old school pack. That is some wide open country you were hunting.

Looks like a great hunt. Sounds like you got it done right on time before the rain hit. Congrats.

Oak, all I took was my bowcase with bow and clothes and my daypack. My buddy in AK supplied everything else. After packing with that pack I see why he didn't want to shoot a caribou more than a mile from camp.

Oak, all I took was my bowcase with bow and clothes and my daypack. My buddy in AK supplied everything else. After packing with that pack I see why he didn't want to shoot a caribou more than a mile from camp.

I was wondering... I mean; hundreds upon hundreds of dollars in Sitka garb, the same into a shooting iron, and a bright red old school frame pack..

Picture had me puzzled :D

Great Caribou !

The sitka was 1/2 price and the rifle was my buddy's just in case the grizzly we saw the previous day wanted to help me pack out the quarters.

Congratulations! That is excellent that you pulled it all off on short notice and actually tagged out with a nice bull to boot!

Back