Audio Books/Podcasts on the Road Recommendations

JLDemo

I do a lot of driving for work and enjoy listening to audio books and podcasts. I'm all over the place as far as genres go, just finished up the audio book covering the BTK killer (Bind, Torture, Kill) as well as catching up on all my hunting podcasts.

Looks like I've got a lot more driving ahead of me back and forth to Wyoming. Both for hunting season and national guard duty.

What are you listening to and why? Any recommendations for good audio books or podcasts to pass the time would be appreciated!

Dan Carlin Hardcore History will eat those hours up. History on Fire is similar, host has a heavy Italian accent that takes a bit to get your ear tuned to. But its worth it, similar to Hardcore History not as long generally with different topics.

Adam Corolla has a few shows Carcast is my favorite, On The House and a daily show that’s too entertainment tonight for me . Remi Warren Cutting the Distance is pretty good. More how to info and hunting yarns.

The da Vinci code and then angels and demons.. some is fiction some is fact, and the world may never distinguish the two….

I’ve found Wild West Extravaganza (formerly the Bloody Beaver Podcast) quite entertaining. Tales from west of the Mississippi during the 1800s. The host does great research, is pretty funny, and sounds like Danny McBride.

Warfare
Dan Snow's History Hit
Gone Medieval
The Mindful Hunter
Freakonomics Radio
Just some i listen to almost daily

When I'm at camp, I want to listen to something I don't necessarily have to concentrate on, like history or hunting stories. I download mindless stuff like teen wizards or vampires and werewolves. Harry Potter series and Twilight. That way I can let my mind wander about the day's events and what's to come tomorrow. A good narrator can make just about any book interesting.

I carry my Kindle in my pack so when I'm sitting water or a trail, I'm not fidgeting. To turn a page I simply touch the screen. I have over 100 books downloaded. I like the Harry Bosch books by Michael Connelly.

Dan Carlin Hardcore History will eat those hours up. History on Fire is similar, host has a heavy Italian accent that takes a bit to get your ear tuned to. But its worth it, similar to Hardcore History not as long generally with different topics.
I recommend both of these podcasts as well. Hardcore History is more long-form but a world-class podcast. History on Fire is also very good; can be quirky and unique. Lots of good episodes on Native American subjects.

I’ve found Wild West Extravaganza (formerly the Bloody Beaver Podcast) quite entertaining. Tales from west of the Mississippi during the 1800s. The host does great research, is pretty funny, and sounds like Danny McBride.
Adding this to my list to check out in the future.

I've spent year doing the audio book and podcast thing on the road.

Audiobooks -
Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum stuff will have you in stitches.
Wallace Stegner will eat up the miles.
C.J. Box
Fantasy/Sci-Fi stuff - I like Brandon Sanderson. Also the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time Series (which was finished by Sanderson after Jordan's death.)

Podcasts-
Big Fin's - Hunttalk and Elk Talk.
The Your Mountain Podcast.
Remi Warren - Cutting the Distance.
Hal Herring - BHA Podcast and Blast.
I still listen to Ryan Callaghan's Week in Review.

Ryan and Remi are the only MeatEater podcasts I listen to regularly. The rest are whiny or just 6 dudes talking. If Rinella has an interesting guest, such as Tom Brokaw, I will listen.
THe ads on MeatEater shows have gotten ridiculous. I keep my finger near the 30 sec skip button.

Love me some Danny McBride. If you haven’t seen the 4-season series “East Bound and Down” you’re missing out on some gut wrenching laughter…

Work Life with Adam Grant and The Fantasy Footballers Podcast are both great podcasts.

Some great books especially in audio form:
True Grit
Deliverance
To Kill a Mockingbird
No Country For Old Men

I'm in the same boat as you as far as traveling for work. If your into history check out: All Audiobooks
1.Empire of the Summer Moon By SC Gwynne
2. Custer's Trials By TJ Stiles
3. Rebel Yell By SC Gwynne

I've also listened to many biographies on founding fathers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back