Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

ATV or No?

Lewistown is central MT. NW of Helena is western MT.

You guys are picky. If I’d have named a range I’d have been an idiot for posting someone’s spot. I say “central” as a general term and get brow beat. Eastern side of the Western half?

No secrets in that part of the world. Piles of people in there running up/down the roads. Enough elk to make it interesting if you can use distance or terrain to get away.

Not sure what that has to do with the original question however? Except that it’s why I want to be able to hunt thru some of these 5-6 mile wide 1-2 ridge gaps between roads. Spend the night in the middle when many others are starting to hike at a trailhead 30min before sun up. Getting a few hoursF8FD57D9-869F-4E84-8349-1FCAEFD405C3.jpeg in the AM before they are getting pushed. Hike out mid day and relocate if necessary, wash rinse repeat.

Haul my ATV in the truck bed. Never been upset about having it back there, been really pissed that it wasn’t.
It’s a tool, I always take it.

Bring it and stage it in locations that you can hunt to it, gives you a chance to hunt a spot in say the morning and then you can move to a different location for the afternoon and not have to spend time getting back to your pickup in the afternoon, not much different than having someone pick you up in a spot and taking you back to your pickup. Just don't take it off road and you'll be good man!! Wouldn't hurt to have an extra key made to stick in your pack lol

You guys are picky. If I’d have named a range I’d have been an idiot for posting someone’s spot. I say “central” as a general term and get brow beat. Eastern side of the Western half?

No one is brow beating you, just trying to define the type of terrain you're going to be in so they can answer your vague-ish question a little better. If I said I wanted to take an ATV here to 'central' Colorado that could mean grassy plains and rolling hills at 7,000' up to 13,000' mountain passes and everything in between...

I say bring it. You bought the thing for a reason- this IS the reason. For me, buying the OHV sticker and the very slightly worse gas mileage is a fair trade off.

We’re going to Coloroado for a first diy ek Hunt and plan on taking them for the reasons other guys have given. Rather have it and not need it than vice verse. Does anyone know if Colorado has special requirement for permits to utilize atvs on the trails that allow them?

I think unless you are specifically going on trails that are only for motorized vehicles 50" or less it could be more of a burden than its worth.

We’re going to Coloroado for a first diy ek Hunt and plan on taking them for the reasons other guys have given. Rather have it and not need it than vice verse. Does anyone know if Colorado has special requirement for permits to utilize atvs on the trails that allow them?

Just need the OHV sticker if using on public land. $25 And I guess as others have said- a spark arrester.

Ok. For those hauling their Atv in the pick up bed, where do you store the coolers if you’re lucky enough to get an elk? I’m going with a partner and wonder what that would look like. I know the back seat will be filled with our gear.

Said differently, how many coolers do people bring for bringing back meat?

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REVRON
Back