ATV or No?

badlander

Headed to central MT elk hunting in just 25 short days. This will be my 4th elk hunt but my first 100% solo.

I've been debating on hauling an ATV out there since last Sept when I was out there last. The area that I'm headed back to there really are no roads that I cant drive with my pickup so there is no additional access to be gained, but there are several areas that if I positioned my truck or ATV at the top/bottom then drove/rode to the opposite that I could hunt "thru" an area rather than hunting in/out. At one point last year my partner and I got following fresh sign and ended up popping out on a road 5 miles from the truck in the dark started walking and eventually hitched a ride back, at other times we had our other crew pick us up at a pre-determined time/location, so I'm thinking of trying to use an ATV to help me out solo in those spots much as possible.

ATVs are a hot button topic, I get it. Every guy that posts an ATV question says "i'll use it right", and every ATV post must have the obligatory "I only use the quads God gave me" response. But, filtering thru the rest of that garbage, do you do this, is it unrealistic? I'd hate to drag it all the way out there 900mi then never take it off the trailer. I thought about just hauling my mountain bike out instead, but some of these loops could be 15 miles by road with quite a bit of elevation. At that point I think i'd be better off just limiting myself to hunting in/out rather than thru.

I do understand that if I bring it I need the OHV sticker and a spark arrestor for the muffler.

Fire away, be gentle.

i'm interested to hear the replies, if its legal and you have spots that you can hunt thru, seems logical to me.

Not the breaks but that basic area anyways, just hunting a general license.

We hauled out two when we went to Montana and they never left the trailer. Taking two required us to take a bigger trailer. Add in the cost of the OHV tag and the spark arrestors, and the gas wasted on the weight and the bigger trailer...I'd hate to guess what we invested in taking those two ATVs out there.

That being said, you could cover a lot of ground and the trail miles on your truck are hard miles. I think if I had a solid plan like you are talking about where you could work loops then it might be worth it.

I'm of the mindset that you aren't going to see what you want from the road be it on an ATV or a truck. We were successful by using our truck to see fresh tracks then hike from there. None of us where excited to ride the ATVs with 0 degree wind chills either.

I can see where there is an advantage of using an ATV to access areas even down a regular road. Some roads do beat up a rig and ATVs can be more efficient for travel.

The one thing I notice is I can hear an ATV coming from a long way off but have had a pickup damn near drive over me before I hear it. So if I can hear an ATV I avoid the area and I tend to think elk avoid those areas too.

I like using ATVs to get from Point A to Point B and then hunt from there. This year we are covering two Wyoming Elk areas and need to be able to move around a lot until we spot elk sign.

We hauled out two when we went to Montana and they never left the trailer. Taking two required us to take a bigger trailer. Add in the cost of the OHV tag and the spark arrestors, and the gas wasted on the weight and the bigger trailer...I'd hate to guess what we invested in taking those two ATVs out there.

That being said, you could cover a lot of ground and the trail miles on your truck are hard miles. I think if I had a solid plan like you are talking about where you could work loops then it might be worth it.

I'm of the mindset that you aren't going to see what you want from the road be it on an ATV or a truck. We were successful by using our truck to see fresh tracks then hike from there. None of us where excited to ride the ATVs with 0 degree wind chills either.

This is a bit of my concern. I can't figure on a way to get out there and back with gear, coolers and ATV without the hassle of hauling a trailer. A trailer might limit the roads I can drive, so then i might be on the ATV more. Also, alone there were a few of those mountain roads that I might not be willing to drive alone. Getting stuck/sliding of a 2 track with another crew/pickup just an inReach message away isnt a huge deal. Alone it could be a nightmare. So for those spots an ATV might be the better answer hunting alone too.

I go round and round in my head just like I did in this response...?!?

In over 40 years of hunting I never once said to myself "Im really glad I didn't bring all that technology or really cool gear I invested in." On that note, if it is legal to have ATV's in the area and you have one I am guessing that it "could" make your hunt much more enjoyable and give you options you wouldn't have if you don't bring it.

I hunt every year in a long time area with a group of friends. ATV's are legal but in all the years we have hunted there the ATV's have never been the absolute game changer or reason we are successful. Honestly they spend 90% of their time in camp but when needed they are a tool and one of many pieces that can make a hunt enjoyable. My vote is "If you have it, bring it."

Consider you set out on a Sept. Archery hunt, weather forecast for the two weeks you will be out are for "good" weather. You have some amazing cold weather gear that you love but decide, eh, it's Sept and the weather is calling for a good forecast the entire time I am going to be in the mountains. Of course you can make do with your summer gear, even if weather changes but it just doesn't make sense to not take it specially if you already have the gear. In the end ask yourself why you spent the money on an ATV in the first place? To set in the garage? If it's a budget thing then that is an entirely different scenario and different reason to have pause.

If you are worried about the "ethical dilemma" that some purists have about hunting, ATV's, technology and so on and are willing to allow others to make the decision for you then there is nothing to discuss. Heck, just walk to Montana. Don't even bring your truck and whatever you do don't forget your long bow or musket.

Just my .02

Spark arrestors? First I have ever heard of this. Can someone please elaborate what a spar arrestor is for a 4 wheeler?

I agree it's a trade-off. We've been to wyoming the last 3 years driving from NC. We never brought ATVs because of the added cost and aggravation of pulling a trailer. That being said, lots of the roads are hard on a truck and some not wide enough. We are choosing to bring them this year. I can see a real advantage on trails and roads not suitable for a pickup. Hopefully it will be worth it. Being that you will be solo, having an atv may be even more of a plus.

Spark arrestors? First I have ever heard of this. Can someone please elaborate what a spar arrestor is for a 4 wheeler?
Normally a small screen designed to catch any sparks coming out of the muffler. Most small engines like string trimmers and backpack blowers come with them already.

If you bring it, you won't use it. If you leave it, you'll wish you had it! Haha. I would leave it. Doesn't seem worth it to me.
Out of curiosity, which part makes it not worth it to you? Pulling it there? The additional fees? Or just don't think it would ever get used?

I had to look it up and it appears my pioneer 500 already has one from the factory. So no issue for me. But this is the first time I have ever thought about it.

In over 40 years of hunting I never once said to myself "Im really glad I didn't bring all that technology or really cool gear I invested in." On that note, if it is legal to have ATV's in the area and you have one I am guessing that it "could" make your hunt much more enjoyable and give you options you wouldn't have if you don't bring it.

I hunt every year in a long time area with a group of friends. ATV's are legal but in all the years we have hunted there the ATV's have never been the absolute game changer or reason we are successful. Honestly they spend 90% of their time in camp but when needed they are a tool and one of many pieces that can make a hunt enjoyable. My vote is "If you have it, bring it."

Consider you set out on a Sept. Archery hunt, weather forecast for the two weeks you will be out are for "good" weather. You have some amazing cold weather gear that you love but decide, eh, it's Sept and the weather is calling for a good forecast the entire time I am going to be in the mountains. Of course you can make do with your summer gear, even if weather changes but it just doesn't make sense to not take it specially if you already have the gear. In the end ask yourself why you spent the money on an ATV in the first place? To set in the garage? If it's a budget thing then that is an entirely different scenario and different reason to have pause.

If you are worried about the "ethical dilemma" that some purists have about hunting, ATV's, technology and so on and are willing to allow others to make the decision for you then there is nothing to discuss. Heck, just walk to Montana. Don't even bring your truck and whatever you do don't forget your long bow or musket.

Just my .02
Its certainly not an "ethics" issue for me personally. I know that how I plan to use it is legal, and I know that I would have no temptation to use it illegally for access or game retrieval. As mentioned, its the trade off between limiting the roads that I would be willing to drive with my truck and mobility due to the trailer vs. the benefit of hunting thru areas and maybe the added confidence to take the ATV down a few of the more sketchy mountain roads instead of a truck. Also, if i'm being honest, the risk of theft, vandalism etc... enter in to my decision making process as well.

In general fwiw, I'm leaning towards bringing it.

Out of curiosity, which part makes it not worth it to you? Pulling it there? The additional fees? Or just don't think it would ever get used?
The hassle of pulling it there. And the fact that I have been hunting elk for 20+ years and can't hardly remember a situation when I wished I had an atv. I have truck that I am willing to take just about anywhere so I don't feel the need for one. That being said, I have never owned one and so may not know exactly what I am missing. @ntodwild has a good point though, since you have invested in an atv already, it may be worth taking. There isn't a right or wrong answer. Its just whatever you want to do. You may use it, you may not. You won't know until your actual hunt.

It's a rare occasion when I don't take my quad hunting, 375 miles in state or 1,000 miles to Wyoming. Trailering a quad 1,000 miles is a pain so I finally sold my slide-in camper so the quad can always ride in the back of the truck. It's probably the best hunting equipment investment I've ever made.

I can see the advantage of having one with your reasoning. However, from my experience, so many folks that use wheelers cripple themselves by using it as a lifeline rather than a tool. I have seen so many people on wheelers driving a road to get to that one spot, while all the while driving right through primo country. One instance I was walking a road in to an area and found a bull right off the road and I was playing with him. A wheeler drove up and right passed. The bull quieted down as the wheeler approached and then spouted off again as soon as it passed by. I was able to find him while "hunting" my way to the area that i wanted to get to. The other fellow did not. An advantage to walking.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back