ATV Help, Honda rancher or Rincon

WyOpitz

I'm looking at getting an ATV. I found a 2014 Rincon 675cc for a couple hundred more than brand new 2015 rancher. Anybody have either, I like how small and nimble the rancher is but wonder if I'd want the extra power of the Rincon even thought it's a little larger.

If you have any opinions, I'd like to know. Mostly will be using on trails while camping and hunting as well as around the house. Thanks.

I have a couple Yamaha Grizzly 450's and haven't ever thought that I needed more power. They lose traction long before they run out of power in my experience.

The heavier they are the harder they are to get unstuck.

If one has independent rear suspension over a straight axle I'd go with that one. Power won't be a problem.

My fathers Rancher is a snappy little dude and fun to ride. It does however have a straight axle. He plowed snow with it last winter but we didn't have much winter.

The Rancher I am looking at is an independent rear suspension. Really the only differences between the machines are the Rincon has a bigger engine but doesn't have power steering, where the rancher does have power steering.

The IRSusp, new warranty, and assisted steering tips me back to the '15 Rancher. I think their shifting is smoother now also.

I just tried a power steering unit and can't believe the difference it makes. It would be a no brainer for me now. Go with the power steering machine.
I use them all winter long plowing snow on sidewalks in town.

I have a Rancher and a Rubicon. They are both great machines. I like the Rubicon because of the Honda-matic Transmission and more power. Best machine I have ever owned.

The Rancher is pretty much bullet proof and will go anywhere the Rubicon will go. The only time I wish it had more power is when you are packing two people. My rancher has the standard transmission, not the automatic.

I would tell you to get the Rincon other than it only has a three speed transmission. I have ridden a couple and they want to go fast. I find it hard to "putt" along. Going down hill you are always braking because 1st gear is too high.

I have a couple Yamaha Grizzly 450's and haven't ever thought that I needed more power. They lose traction long before they run out of power in my experience.

The heavier they are the harder they are to get unstuck.

This.

I pushed snow all winter with a Yamaha Grizzly 450 and I've hauled elk out on a 228cc Yamaha Beartracker. Unless you plan on towing a trailer full of rocks, any Four Wheeler larger than a 500 is pointless power that weighs too much to horse around or get unstuck and you should just buy a truck.

A couple weeks ago I went riding up the Lava Mountain section of the CDT(not my video), with a couple guys who had Polaris 700s. Their machines were 5 x more expensive and my 20 year old Honda Recon 250 performed just as well and had no problem with one of the roughest 4x4 trails on the Continental Divide.

People can bash 4-wheelers all they want but these are legally open roads that provide access to roadless country. Have fun taking your truck up there, I'll pick your oil pan up out of the dirt for you.

Attachments

• RoughRoad.jpg
    RoughRoad.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 442
  • Recon.jpg
    Recon.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 151
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member