Attn: Waterfowl fanatics!

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
Yeah, spinners are frustrating. By January the birds have seen them so many times they have figured out the game. I'm trying to think of a way to hide mine a bit so the birds just get a little flash but not that obvious stationary look they normally get. And I think they flare birds even when turned off. But to hide mine I'd have to put it in the treeline which may not look realistic. Although maybe they don't see that enough to be suspicious?

Or maybe try the flock a flicker which is a little more subtle and random? Idk, not sure I want to deal with electronic stuff anymore.
We've noticed they flare birds here too. Can't use them until Dec 1 and by Christmas they've seen every spinner from WA, OR and nor cal before they get our way. Going to work that jerk string

I would maybe hold onto one spinner. That first 20 to30 minutes of legal shooting they payoff. Especially for wood ducks. Just my .02 I put them out and thirty minutes in or so I pull em.
I've tried this tactic and it didn't seem to make much of a difference
Sounds far fetched maybe ask if you can hunt em. You might be surprised. Your already not hunting there so you wont be out anything if they say no.
It's more of they're next to roads or there are no shooting lanes.
Now closer to the Mississippi it might be different but they aren't on the public over there very much and all the private has duck clubs on it.
I'm sure there are some somewhere that you might could get permission but it'd be a once and done hunt.

Canada's just don't make it down into my part of the state much anymore. In the 80's and before that is all there was (with almost no ducks to speak of).
Flyways change over time, and so does opportunity

Just found out C&S calls are made 20 miles from me. So I’m trying their calls this fall.

I am praying for snow after a dry winter and a very bad drought. Snow is the greatest equalizer for field hunting mallards and geese.
There is nothing better than hunting them in a snow storm imo. We usually dont see snow til Thanksgiving at the earliest mid december is the norm. 2 years ago we got pounded out of nowhere on Halloween. It was lights out hunting in that storm. See if you can spot the band.
20191101_115348.jpg

In light of the spirit of this thread, with the word out of the nesting grounds beginning to leak out that this may be a down year. How might that change your plans for trying anything new? @BoomerUSAF my apologies if this is a derailment.

In light of the spirit of this thread, with the word out of the nesting grounds beginning to leak out that this may be a down year. How might that change your plans for trying anything new? @BoomerUSAF my apologies if this is a derailment.
I'd say it has changed mine quite a bit.
My buddy and I were planning to buy IL licenses and hunting the southern part of the state on the weekends. Now I don't think it will be worth spending the money.
I waste enough dough hunting KY!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back