Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Attn: Waterfowl fanatics!

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
It is dry! I’ve struck out scouting for teal! I’m gonna try a spot that I know has water. If that’s a bust, then I’m waiting for big ducks to open.

It is dry! I’ve struck out scouting for teal! I’m gonna try a spot that I know has water. If that’s a bust, then I’m waiting for big ducks to open.
Even where there is water, I'm not finding many teal. Strangely, there are lots of big ducks though.

Boomer, don't be like me and set up like I did yesterday. The sun in my face made it impossible to tell what kind of ducks I was looking at or even see ducks at all...

ps. Interesting cart you have there. decoy hauler?

Attachments

• Teal Season Brushy Cr 2021 Sept 8.jpg
    Teal Season Brushy Cr 2021 Sept 8.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
Boomer, don't be like me and set up like I did yesterday. The sun in my face made it impossible to tell what kind of ducks I was looking at or even see ducks at all...

ps. Interesting cart you have there. decoy hauler?
It’s technically a deer cart but I use it universally. I had the sun in my face and almost dropped a wood duck. Thankfully, I saw the white belly last second and held off. The teal were laughing like hyenas and zipping by. It was great to be in the marsh again.

Trying my own diy A-frame this year. Bought some 8' long coated garden stakes and plastic chicken fence painted camo.
Just debating if I want to attach grass mats or use natural cover only
My biggest issue - Waterfowl Season in Alaska Interior is very short - we open on Sept 1 (same as Moose) and then normally 99% o the birds are gone in 4-6 weeks. Moose and Waterfowl are basically both the month of September.
What I think I'll start doing is hunting the first 10-14 days of September hard - but my local Game Management Unit Moose ends the 15th. So I've got to find a good balance on that - we are a family of 7 so I need quantities of meat in the freezer for winter.

I need to get an easily mobile set - maybe just use the burlap I've got and make a frame and attach some loops to the burlap so we can all hide in their good. I think have some permanent grass matts and then with some spots to tie in handfulls of natural cover.

My biggest issue - Waterfowl Season in Alaska Interior is very short - we open on Sept 1 (same as Moose) and then normally 99% o the birds are gone in 4-6 weeks. Moose and Waterfowl are basically both the month of September.
What I think I'll start doing is hunting the first 10-14 days of September hard - but my local Game Management Unit Moose ends the 15th. So I've got to find a good balance on that - we are a family of 7 so I need quantities of meat in the freezer for winter.

I need to get an easily mobile set - maybe just use the burlap I've got and make a frame and attach some loops to the burlap so we can all hide in their good. I think have some permanent grass matts and then with some spots to tie in handfulls of natural cover.
My setup is light and relatively portable. It rolls up and I throw a bungee around it to keep it together.
It's definitely a little bulky but rides in my sled good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back