Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Attn: Waterfowl fanatics!

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
I have two new robo-ducks in a back pack, ordered a case of Kent Fasteel 1 1/4 oz , #1s a couple days ago. Now to get through the border to Saskatchewan where I belong in late September !!!
Unfortunately, that doesn’t seem likely!

I just spoke with the owner of a Quebec fishing camp that I normally attend a couple times per year. According to him, Canada will open the borders when they reach 75% of the population being vaccinated. Quebec right now is 30-40 %. 🤞🤞🤞

I documented the revamp of my boat blind here already. I've sense added pods which reduced draft by almost 3". my son and I just took on a side job so we can get a mud motor without having to get any kind of approval from the wife. Still debating if we want to pop for a surface drive or settle for a long tail. Anyone here run a mud motor?

pros and cons to each. like everything the best answer is it depends. boat size, habitat itll get used in, will son be running the boat if so how old is he, price point you want to spend. Mudmotortalk is a great forum full of info. Sorry I couldn't offer specifics.

.......but nothing compares to ducks working the decoys. First time I tried it was like a drug, been hooked ever since.

Ain't that the truth, some combination of endorphins and adrenaline, or is it purely mental?

I've enjoyed a wide range of outdoor pursuits, all sorts of fishing and hunting, and still trying new stuff. I've hunted a variety of big game in every interior western state and Alaska. Ridden the emotional roller coaster up to euphoric highs, and down to soul-crushing lows.

But there is just something special when you get a flock of ducks to turn and come in over the decoys, at least for me. A unique combination of the challenge, excitement, and beauty. And when it's not quite working the excitement just keeps building, a big flock of mallards or pintails circling 5 or 6 times will still turn me into an adrenaline soaked, quivering mass of jello, crazy, I know!

Oh man.

Gear:
1) new decoy spread with better variety of species
2) motion ducks ultimate spreader
3) franchi affinity 20 ga
4) boss shotshell
5) academy decoy backpack
6) high roller whistle
7) DC BWT call

Tactics:
1) Hunting crosswinds instead of wind at back
2) targeting teal and pintails since mallards dont make it to the south anymore
3) taking advantage of weekly draw hunts to minimize competition on public land.
4) hiding spinner in brush to minimize fake appearance.
5) ditching splashers, too much weight.
5) thank FIL for buying more land in flyway (and be nicer to MIL).

May get a kayak or beavertail for some slow/small water public areas. Hunted out of a friend's beavertail this year and it was great. Good for fishing as well. Kinda heavy compared to kayak tho.

Interested in an A frame for better portability. Idk.

pros and cons to each. like everything the best answer is it depends. boat size, habitat itll get used in, will son be running the boat if so how old is he, price point you want to spend. Mudmotortalk is a great forum full of info. Sorry I couldn't offer specifics.
Price point is certainly a consideration. I've been all lurking mmtalk a lot. Leaning towards keeping it simple with a long tail. Specifically a Backwater. Only real reason for me to consider a surface drive is to fit in garage easier.

Oh man.

Gear:
1) new decoy spread with better variety of species
2) motion ducks ultimate spreader
3) franchi affinity 20 ga
4) boss shotshell
5) academy decoy backpack
6) high roller whistle
7) DC BWT call

Tactics:
1) Hunting crosswinds instead of wind at back
2) targeting teal and pintails since mallards dont make it to the south anymore
3) taking advantage of weekly draw hunts to minimize competition on public land.
4) hiding spinner in brush to minimize fake appearance.
5) ditching splashers, too much weight.
5) thank FIL for buying more land in flyway (and be nicer to MIL).

May get a kayak or beavertail for some slow/small water public areas. Hunted out of a friend's beavertail this year and it was great. Good for fishing as well. Kinda heavy compared to kayak tho.

Interested in an A frame for better portability. Idk.
Dang, lots of new gear!

Oh yeah. Trying some skin on breasts tonight to see if it is worth keeping in the future.
I personally love leaving the skin on. Fat in the skin doesn’t make you have to put any oil in the pan before hand and I like to keep the grease that accumulates in the pan after and use it as I would use bacon grease. Last year I rendered goose fat and man it was amazing to make popcorn in it. Reminds me this year I want to keep a lot more duck butts to render more fat.

I personally love leaving the skin on. Fat in the skin doesn’t make you have to put any oil in the pan before hand and I like to keep the grease that accumulates in the pan after and use it as I would use bacon grease. Last year I rendered goose fat and man it was amazing to make popcorn in it. Reminds me this year I want to keep a lot more duck butts to render more fat.
I'm looking forward to it. Going to use hank shaw method.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back