Yeti GOBOX Collection

Attn: Waterfowl fanatics!

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
Boomer check out the jerk rig at motionducks.com that's why I'm looking at maybe you were already too
What happens when your dog swims through the middle of that? Gus took out 5 independently anchored dekes at one time last year. That's his personal best. These rigs would make it easy to beat that I think.

119top_mob_c.jpgthis or the old town Next is the new gear I hope/plan to be trying iut next season. Tactics I won't be trying anything new. It aint broke so I aint fixin it. I would however like to stsrt putting my tactics to use in other states. SADLY there us a daughters wedding in November this year anchoring me down. Yes she was told what a dick move that was. 🤣

I still use the same dozen G&H shell honkers my dad gave me for Christmas when I got out of the army in '74. Added another dozen a few years ago and they are not nearly as good as the older model. The motion stakes that came with them were a bust. Honkers do NOT like motion in the set. And the deeks were always facing the wrong direction in the wind. I made some wooden T stakes same design as the plastic ones that came with the old dozen (those plastic things didn't last long anyway). With honkers quantity definitely doesn't help a whole lot. Not worth the expense. Setting out two dozen just takes more time. I use Walmart Winchester steel BB at 1550 fps with good effect. Only two days of hunting this year (migration didn't show up) produced two daily limits of five honkers in thirteen shots total. I'm typically hiding in cover at the edge of the fields 40-55 yards from my decoys. I use the wind for pass shooting as the birds come in for a landing or a look. Lots more fun than shooting them point blank off my butt in a box. The fields are relatively small and irregular. Lots of ways to set up. There's also several heavily timbered sloughs in the area for jump shooting when it gets slow. If there was more jump shooting, I'd throw the deeks away. More fun for the dogs too. In short, I prefer to keep things simple.

I'm happy with the hevi metal I shoot. I am switching to #6's for my wood duck holes however. Lesson learned last season. I needed more pellets down range than what I was delivering, and it cost me some birds. Wish I was in the same boat you're in Boomer with pup training.

View attachment 181505this or the old town Next is the new gear I hope/plan to be trying iut next season. Tactics I won't be trying anything new. It aint broke so I aint fixin it. I would however like to stsrt putting my tactics to use in other states. SADLY there us a daughters wedding in November this year anchoring me down. Yes she was told what a dick move that was. 🤣
Right there with ya! I have a new hunting/fishing kayak to try! It’s quite the trade off, kayak or dog, and not both. I don’t have the heart to leave Bear at home.

I almost forgot. I've gotta buy gear for my daughter this year so kids waders, waterfowl jacket, gloves, neck gaiter, beanie, etc. Not sure which way ill go brand wise with all of that.

Got a couple of things in mindI want to check out this year. Keep in mind last year was my first year actually pursuing waterfowl, but I got the bug pretty bad.
  • High n Dry waders
  • Considering trying Boss ammo
  • I don't do much for decoys, but I have been intrigued by the Lifetime foam duck decoys.
  • Also been toying with the idea of a layout boat. We get a lot of divers here. If I go that route, I'll have an army of decoys to accumulate.

Mostly I plan to keep sneaking around on my kayak and getting birds.

Got a couple of things in mindI want to check out this year. Keep in mind last year was my first year actually pursuing waterfowl, but I got the bug pretty bad.
  • High n Dry waders
  • Considering trying Boss ammo
  • I don't do much for decoys, but I have been intrigued by the Lifetime foam duck decoys.
  • Also been toying with the idea of a layout boat. We get a lot of divers here. If I go that route, I'll have an army of decoys to accumulate.

Mostly I plan to keep sneaking around on my kayak and getting birds.
Lifetime decoys piqued my curiosity too!

What happens when your dog swims through the middle of that? Gus took out 5 independently anchored dekes at one time last year. That's his personal best. These rigs would make it easy to beat that I think.
I agree that's the reason I'm looking at it myself. My dog gets tangled in the jerk rig also. On there site there is a video of the dog swimming right through it because it is a rigid design. That's one of there biggest selling points, looks promising.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back