Attn: Waterfowl fanatics!

• Thread starter Deleted member 38069
  • Start date
I dont care breathable or not just as long as they stop leaking I hunt a lot of deep mud and it seems walking in that pulls the seems apart.
My Frogg Toggs have lasted 3 seasons without any seam leaks. Also don't sweat as much in them, which makes a big difference

Anyone want to recommend the best pair? Every pair of neoprene I've tried have lasted less than one season and they leak.
I’d quickly become the villain if I said my choice!

Spill the beans, let’s hear your tips and techniques you’re going to try this year?
Also, what are the brands you swear by?

As for me, I’m going to try my A-frame blind over water. I’m also considering a new jerk rig! I strictly use Avians and Dakota decoys. I swear by them, much less flairs. I also love hevi-shot’s hevi hammers, I’ve noticed less cripples.

lets hear it, HT!

some duck guys I know:
@jrabq
@nick87
@Runnin_Chupacabra
@teej89
@JShane
Oh I love talking waterfowl!

1) Use minimal calling to bring birds in. Ok, so this year will be my second full year on the refuge and there's a few diff things I want to try out. First, I'm not the best at calling so I would like to def get better at that, although I noticed last year that more birds came into my quite set up as compared to neighboring guys who were calling trying to bring them their way. Hunting in the central valley of CA, most birds have heard calling all along the pacific flyway.

2) Start using my late season approach much earlier in the season. I had a lot of success later in the season with smaller spreads. I put out 3-4 diff species in groups of 4 or so fairly far spread out and the birds seemed to really like that. The basis of this thinking, and most of my thinking, is again being so far down in the flyway that birds have seen a lot of big spreads.

3) Something I want to try is setting up my spots by having the rising sun at my back and not as much of the wind. I know this might be a contrarian type of approach but I would like to play with it some and see how it works out. Could blow up in my face but I like testing things out.

4) I'm not loyal to any brands yet as I've been hunting over decoys that have been passed down through out my family. I have bought some new Avery's since I am on a budget but also last season I loved shooting birds over the same decoys that my uncles and great uncles shot over back in the day.

I also would like to work on my jerk rig. I had some trial and error last year and know what I would like to fix. Some of the spots I hunt on the refuge are a mile walk so a project I have this summer is making my own trailer for my bike to tow my sled and decoys. Should be a fun one!

We also have a duck boat at my buddy's ranch that his grandfather used 30 years ago for duck hunting so we are fixing that thing up and want to have that running this summer so we can work out the kinks.

1) Use minimal calling to bring birds in. Ok, so this year will be my second full year on the refuge and there's a few diff things I want to try out. First, I'm not the best at calling so I would like to def get better at that, although I noticed last year that more birds came into my quite set up as compared to neighboring guys who were calling trying to bring them their way. Hunting in the central valley of CA, most birds have heard calling all along the pacific flyway.

2) Start using my late season approach much earlier in the season. I had a lot of success later in the season with smaller spreads. I put out 3-4 diff species in groups of 4 or so fairly far spread out and the birds seemed to really like that. The basis of this thinking, and most of my thinking, is again being so far down in the flyway that birds have seen a lot of big spreads.

3) Something I want to try is setting up my spots by having the rising sun at my back and not as much of the wind. I know this might be a contrarian type of approach but I would like to play with it some and see how it works out. Could blow up in my face but I like testing things out.

4) I'm not loyal to any brands yet as I've been hunting over decoys that have been passed down through out my family. I have bought some new Avery's since I am on a budget but also last season I loved shooting birds over the same decoys that my uncles and great uncles shot over back in the day.

I also would like to work on my jerk rig. I had some trial and error last year and know what I would like to fix. Some of the spots I hunt on the refuge are a mile walk so a project I have this summer is making my own trailer for my bike to tow my sled and decoys. Should be a fun one!

We also have a duck boat at my buddy's ranch that his grandfather used 30 years ago for duck hunting so we are fixing that thing up and want to have that running this summer so we can work out the kinks.
Heck yeah, thanks for joining in! I like the less calling approach, makes sense to me.

Good stuff

It sucks not having any public to hunt around here other than a nearby river but you just gave me a whole new appreciation for having access to private. Wont matter for you though that little one on the way you wont be sleeping anyway😴
You remember! True, but the military taught me to operate on little to no sleep. I can’t wait for him to be here! We have a stuffed animal mallard for him!

Nick I'll snap some pictures this afternoon of the fridge and post them up here. But the basics are laying the birds in the racks allows much more air flow around them than being stacked in the vegetable draw of the outside fridge. Should give them a more uniform temp around the body. That and the wife isn't complaining about ducks staring at her when she goes to get something out of the fridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back