Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Assessment of Used Compound Condition

trb

Hi all,

I have been looking to get into archery for a while now, and I have been eagerly monitoring used bows online. Today I jumped on what I think was a good deal, $180 for a package deal that included a Mountaineer Ranger 3D Hyperflite Pro, a trigger release, a foam target, wax, target tips, and a bunch of mostly carbon arrows.

I have an appointment with the local pro shop on Friday for them to assess and tune the bow (there are no markings I can find indicating the current draw length or weight), but I shot it a few times when I got home, and it definitely felt good and was hitting the target. The rest needs a new piece of felt and I didn't want to continue to shoot it with it missing. I am 6'4" and my draw length has been previously measured at 30.5". It has some light rust on many of the screws, but in general, it seems like it is in decent condition. I am aware that this won't be my bow for the rest of my life, but I was just looking for a budget entry-level bow to start familiarizing myself with the sport.

I was hoping someone could give me a general assessment of what I picked up, and if anything jumps out at you in terms of some immediate high-impact upgrades that I could/should make to it. I know the pro-shop will do this in detail, but I was hoping for an initial unbiased (read: not trying to sell me stuff I don't need) assessment.

I'm happy to post more detailed photos if that would help.

Thank you in advance!IMG_20200526_185114.jpgIMG_20200526_185031.jpgIMG_20200526_185057.jpg

For starters those arrows look kinda short, I'd also make sure they inspect the strings to make sure they are in good shape and add a dloop on there. It will make it easier for you to shoot. As far as arrows go you don't need to go crazy on price since you are just getting into it. I'd say go to the pro shop hear what they have to say then report back here on prices and what they tell you you need. I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but if the strings are in poor condition you may have been better off buying a slightly better used bow online

Mountaineer were pretty good in their time, but they are now gone. They were getting "hot" about 25 years ago. Chances are your bow is at least 20 years old.

I second the string opinion! Chances are it needs replacing. The felt is no big deal, that is there only to keep it quiet if the arrow falls off the rest.

rest is decent assuming the springs work and the blades can move.

Site looks old, but functional.

Biggest issue you will have is if it breaks and you need parts.

Do you plan to hunt with it or just start shooting to see how much you like archery?

If the string/cables look kinda fuzzy they may need to be replaced. Hard to tell from the photos.

Given the age I probably wouldn’t make a whole lot of upgrades or spend a ton of money on it. I wouldn’t go with expensive arrows either. I’d get it set up, shoot it some, and if you really enjoy archery, look at selling the bow and upgrading.

On the flip side, if it’s tapped for the current sights and rests you could buy those now (total cost say $250) and move them to a brand new bow later on.

Very much appreciate everyone's input and advice. Just got back from the pro shop, I had a new d loop and peep sight out on it, and they adjusted the sights. Every thing else, although old, is in good shape (including the string). I took about 20 shots with it and it felt great, it was very accurate at 10 and 20 yards. I am hoping to just use it for practice for the next 6-12 months until I can afford a new bow. They let me shoot a $800 bow and the difference in let off and stability once it is fired was very apparent. I appreciate the massive difference in comfort, but I still am going to enjoy shooting this one until I can afford a new one. They explained that shooting this one long term could mess up my form once I switch to a newer bow. That worries me a bit, but I also definitely got the sense that they were desperate to sell me a new bow, so not sure about that part. Regardless, thanks for all the advice, and at the very least it seems like I have a functional backyard/car camping practice bow that will work until can afford a new(er) one.

What was the reason why this bow would mess up your form?

I wish I knew, they did not elaborate. It was early on in the conversation, and I definitely felt they were dismissive of how outdated the bow was, and we're trying to guide me towards looking a new set ups. Not sure if there is a legitimate risk of this or if it was just salesmanship. I am obviously a complete novice, but to me it seems like getting used to an old tougher bow (that fits me) for a while would make me appreciate a modern system even more once I'm able to afford it.

Very much appreciate everyone's input and advice. Just got back from the pro shop, I had a new d loop and peep sight out on it, and they adjusted the sights. Every thing else, although old, is in good shape (including the string). I took about 20 shots with it and it felt great, it was very accurate at 10 and 20 yards. I am hoping to just use it for practice for the next 6-12 months until I can afford a new bow. They let me shoot a $800 bow and the difference in let off and stability once it is fired was very apparent. I appreciate the massive difference in comfort, but I still am going to enjoy shooting this one until I can afford a new one. They explained that shooting this one long term could mess up my form once I switch to a newer bow. That worries me a bit, but I also definitely got the sense that they were desperate to sell me a new bow, so not sure about that part. Regardless, thanks for all the advice, and at the very least it seems like I have a functional backyard/car camping practice bow that will work until can afford a new(er) one.

you don’t have to spend 800 on a new bow. Good, used bows for fairly cheap are available readily online. Saw a Matthews outback this morning for $200

Reactions: trb
you don’t have to spend 800 on a new bow. Good, used bows for fairly cheap are available readily online. Saw a Matthews outback this morning for $200

After buying this one I want my next one to be one that I will hunt with for a long time. And I will happily jump on a good deal within my budget if I see it. I mean really, what's a 2nd bow in 2 weeks in the face of a mortgage and student loans?

Sounds like they were just trying to get you to spend more money. As long as the draw length, etc, of this bow fit you, I do not believe it could possibly “mess up your form”.
If you shoot it well and like it, there’s no reason you couldn’t continue hunting with it as long as you wanted.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back