Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Ask your onX Hunt questions here!

I'm a bigger fool. Straight Arrow's trick doesn't work and if I press I get a waypoint planted without coordinates. Explain this to me like I'm a 12 year old....
SA schooling the engineer, Rob G!??? C'mon! It's the luddite and the mensa guy. :D

Anyhow, open a map page, then go to left of map on column, open "settings", click on "show coordinates", press lower right icon button which shows your location. Somewhere on the edge of screen, likely lower right, you will see coordinates describing your location.

(If that doesn't work then look up at the night sky and describe your location as the green Army 2nd lieutenant did, "I'm right here directly under the big dipper.")

SA schooling the engineer, Rob G!??? C'mon! It's the luddite and the mensa guy. :D

Anyhow, open a map page, then go to left of map on column, open "settings", click on "show coordinates", press lower right icon button which shows your location. Somewhere on the edge of screen, likely lower right, you will see coordinates describing your location.

(If that doesn't work then look up at the night sky and describe your location as the green Army 2nd lieutenant did, "I'm right here directly under the big dipper.")
Just because I could build the chips inside the phone doesn't mean I know (or want to know) how people use them. ;) Maybe I need it explained to me like I'm a 6 year old. I get the altitude and scale, but no coordinates. I can bring up a waypoint and get the coordinates that way. Maybe I need to update my version (21.35.0).

You can also get your coordinates using the compass app, copy them, and text them to SAR.

I'd still like to turn the waypoint name on so I don't have to click on it to see what it marks.

I'm trying to use the timber cut layer to look for cuts in MI and PA.... nothing seems to change when I turn it on or off, so I'm assuming onX doesn't have timber cut info for those two states. Am I accurate in that, or am I missing something? I've tried zoomed out and zoomed in, and have tried multiple areas (though not the entire states while zoomed in, obviously). Any advice would be appreciated.

To further clarify this.... I'm using it on my laptop, logging in to my onX account which I believe is online and should be the most updated version of maps all the time. I'm a moron and don't know that to be true. I also downloaded the chip updater to get most recent maps (which I thought was weird) only to see that it's for an actual physical chip...which i don't have or really know what the purpose of would be on an app that is always online. Again...moron... I use onX for 2 months a year in grouse season, never get good at it, then forget everything I learn by the following year. Combo that with being extremely non-techie...

To further clarify this.... I'm using it on my laptop, logging in to my onX account which I believe is online and should be the most updated version of maps all the time. I'm a moron and don't know that to be true. I also downloaded the chip updater to get most recent maps (which I thought was weird) only to see that it's for an actual physical chip...which i don't have or really know what the purpose of would be on an app that is always online. Again...moron... I use onX for 2 months a year in grouse season, never get good at it, then forget everything I learn by the following year. Combo that with being extremely non-techie...
Sorry for the delay but just seeing this now.

The Timber Cut comes from the US Forest Service Timber Cuts data so if it is a timber cut from a private company or something along those lines, unfortunately it will not be reflected on that layer. It is nationwide however so it will reflect all of those USFS Timber Cuts across the country, including the states you are looking at. I pulled up this area in the Allegheny National Forest so you can see what the layer looks like exactly. You can tap any of those for more information on the Cut that took place.
File (10).jpg

The Chip Updater is for our GPS chip that works with Garmin GPS units, to get the most updated information on that product. If you only use the app then you do not need that for anything.

Feel free to give us a call at 406-540-1600 or email [email protected] if you ever need any assistance.

Firstly, forgive my poor explanation, but I’m not sure of the correct terminology.

When I am using what I think of as the navigation mode - the small arrow is present in the lower right box, and there is a blue pie shape that extends from your current position dot - there is an issue.

That pie shaped direction indicator is 90 degrees east of my movement vector. If im moving due north say, the little pie is pointing east.

Is there a way to recalibrate this feature?

Firstly, forgive my poor explanation, but I’m not sure of the correct terminology.

When I am using what I think of as the navigation mode - the small arrow is present in the lower right box, and there is a blue pie shape that extends from your current position dot - there is an issue.

That pie shaped direction indicator is 90 degrees east of my movement vector. If im moving due north say, the little pie is pointing east.

Is there a way to recalibrate this feature?
Yup, be interested in the current response to this. Have had that intermittently on an iphone 7 and a friend had it consistently on a samsung. What model and brand phone do you have?

OnX, last year I asked if you could find a way to trim tracks when I forget to turn off the track before I drive home. You did it and that was great.

This year, I'm going to ask for another Christmas present from you - or maybe it is already there, but I can't find it.

When I want to make a track or drop a waypoint, I use color to indicate things like the year mostly. This year, I had to change the color every time so that it would be different than last year's default colors, (unfortunately, the default track and default way points are different colors).

It would be nice to be able to choose default colors so I don't have to change them for every single grouse I flush - Yes, I'm somewhat anal, but in an attempt to learn something about grouse, I'm dropping lots of waypoints and tracks to be able to later analyze where I see them and where I don't.

Anyway, a bit of control over default colors (and maybe waypoint symbols) would be great.

Do you know, there is NOT a Grouse way point symbol? :( (not a big deal).

Someone also asked about having a "clear" option for polygon fills. I second that request. Super helpful if that could be done. Hard enough to read the screen on a cell phone in the field.

Many thanks, and I hope 2021 has been good to you guys and may 2022 be better yet.

@Khunter @Jim Anderson @bryan79

We pull the location from the device itself so it comes from the settings on your phone; this page here (GPS Settings) has a few processes that you can walk through on your phone to reset those to give you the most accurate location. If you're still having issues, give us a call at 406-540-1600 so we can test a few other things.

OnX, last year I asked if you could find a way to trim tracks when I forget to turn off the track before I drive home. You did it and that was great.

This year, I'm going to ask for another Christmas present from you - or maybe it is already there, but I can't find it.

When I want to make a track or drop a waypoint, I use color to indicate things like the year mostly. This year, I had to change the color every time so that it would be different than last year's default colors, (unfortunately, the default track and default way points are different colors).

It would be nice to be able to choose default colors so I don't have to change them for every single grouse I flush - Yes, I'm somewhat anal, but in an attempt to learn something about grouse, I'm dropping lots of waypoints and tracks to be able to later analyze where I see them and where I don't.

Anyway, a bit of control over default colors (and maybe waypoint symbols) would be great.

Someone also asked about having a "clear" option for polygon fills. I second that request. Super helpful if that could be done. Hard enough to read the screen on a cell phone in the field.

Many thanks, and I hope 2021 has been good to you guys and may 2022 be better yet.
Appreciate all the feedback!

I'll pass that along to our team.

I just came across this during 3rd rifle here in Colorado! I scrolled and scrolled and finally used the pheasant icon for the spot I came across some Dusky Grouse.....only later that evening did I see that there is an "Upland" icon that is more grouse like. Not sure why there is an upland icon when there are individual upland species icons too. Go figure.

I scrolled and scrolled and finally used the pheasant icon for the spot I came across some Dusky Grouse.....only later that evening did I see that there is an "Upland" icon that is more grouse like. Not sure why there is an upland icon when there are individual upland species icons too. Go figure.
Never use the appropriate icon, are you crazy?

The "dove" icon is for big elk. "Mushroom" = big mule deer buck. "Rabbit" = monster black bear.

OnX and hackers can't be trusted.

You are welcome.;):p

@Khunter @Jim Anderson @bryan79

We pull the location from the device itself so it comes from the settings on your phone; this page here (GPS Settings) has a few processes that you can walk through on your phone to reset those to give you the most accurate location. If you're still having issues, give us a call at 406-540-1600 so we can test a few other things.
Thanks, I have been through that previously, in the case of my buddy's android phone to no avail. Please note at the same time Onx is trying to point me many degrees in the wrong direction, earthmate and Gaia were pointing the correct direction. As such I am hard pressed to believe it is my device GPS settings causing the issue but will check reset GPS settings again. Why would the same phone GPS settings allow the other nav programs to correctly determine what direction to navigate but Onx to not get the right direction.

The real problem is, out in the woods, if I had no idea which way to go, I would have gone the direction of the blue direction wedge blindly and ended up way off track, or perhaps in harms way.

The real problem is, out in the woods, if I had no idea which way to go, I would have gone the direction of the blue direction wedge blindly and ended up way off track, or perhaps in harms way

The real problem is actually putting so much trust in that little blue arrow. Technology is great and all, but a compass, a topo map and a little practice using them combined with some common sense goes a long ways.

I see that the line tool had an update. You have to click the 1st point and then click the 2nd point to get distance. The old line tool let you click and move the line (browser on laptop) while seeing the distance before clicking again. The option was particularly handy when looking at certain hunts that require being within 1 mile of private and/or ag land to draw a border. Now its guessing and clicking. Possibly something that can be added back to the line tool options?

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back