Ashland Elk Tag

KAMMO

I was one of the lucky few to draw a South East Montana elk tag south of Ashland.
After scouting this spring and a few times this summer and not seeing much for animals or sign, I am concerned about where to start hunting. The fires burned up a large area where I had planned to concentrate most of my time. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Boots on the ground! Good luck with that tag, this year!

I did some turkey hunting a couple of years ago 15 miles SE of ashland. I saw 1 cow and found a decent mulie winter kill. It is beautiful country! good luck
j.

Thanks for your replies. If it is any indication to time spent hiking around that area, my GPS states that I have put on over 62 miles hiking just in that area this summer. I have seen a few animals but not many. I am all about putting on miles and doing what ever it takes to find animals. Again, THANK YOU

I had the tag in 2009, but all the areas I hunted are now charred. Good luck.

I had that tag last year.. lots of road hunting paid off. Quit hiking, and start driving around. The bulls will have nice dark antlers this year.

The elk in that area tend to be very scattered, lots of little bunches. Look for pockets of good timber adjacent to this years burn area, provided it gets enough rain to green back up.

I was told most forest roads in the burnt areas will be closed . Standard procedure to help the erosion stay under control until some plants get going again.
Goin to be a tough year for tag holders without a lot of scouting.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back