As they lay

Is this the ‘hangover buck’?? 😂😂
Naw…that’s my general tag WT from this year. This is my hangover buck…got him not too far from Eschelmans place in Carbon County about 17 years ago or so. Working on his mount right now since I’m trying to hang up a lot of my skull plated bucks from over the years.

Attachments

• 69F989C3-D178-4397-A323-CD577EC31A61.jpeg
    69F989C3-D178-4397-A323-CD577EC31A61.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
Naw…that’s my general tag WT from this year. This is my hangover buck…got him not too far from Eschelmans place in Carbon County about 17 years ago or so. Working on his mount right now since I’m trying to hang up a lot of my skull plated bucks from over the years.
Here's the way I do deer cap mounts. Trace roughly around the cap onto 1/4" plywood. This will be the backing plate. Cut it out and trim. Drill two mounting holes side by side in the skull. Screw the skull to the mounting plate. Screws should come through the back side of plate. Cut off the excess (Dremel tool works great). Then pleat velvet over the skull cap attaching with staple gun to back of plate. Now you're ready to mount to plaque. Two screws is plenty to attach deer backing plate to plaque from back side of plaque. One screw will attach to top of backing plate and one at bottom. Position skull cap and plate where you want it on plaque, mark a center point just above the skull plate and one just below it, then drill through the plaque a bit inside the marks. Holes should be just big enough for attaching screw to bite. Start the top screw through the back side till point is protruding slightly on other side. Reposition the antlers, push down so screw tip leaves a mark on backing plate. Drill a small hole through that dimple in the backing plate and then attach with screw (countersink the holes on backside of plaque to recess screw heads). Screw it fairly tight. Then adjust the antlers so they are even, pull the screw tight so the plate doesn't move, and attach bottom screw. If you prefer to build up with foam, make a round backing plate roughly the diameter of outside burr to opposite outside burr. Fill and cut foam, stretch fabric over it, and follow steps above. For mounting hardware I use the picture frame stuff. Pound them flat and drill the holes out so they'll take small screws. DO NOT use the brads that come in those picture frame kits. They pull out easily and your trophy winds up on the floor broken. I mark the center about a quarter way from top of back of plaque and then drill a recess with 1/2" Forster bit. Attach the hanger over the hole. That way your plaque hangs flush against the wall.
16723294452001094463223711157988.jpg
16723295339761147136654586911092.jpg
This hanger has been recessed but that's not really necessary.

Edit: Elk and moose cap mounts require more screws to attach backing plate and sometimes epoxy to attach antlers to backing plate, depending on weight of antlers. Picture frame hangers are not sufficient. I make my own elk/moose hangers from thick aluminum strap metal.

Last edited:
Opening day of antlerless whitetail season, 10 minutes before end of legal. Savage 220 for the win as the landowner specified archery or shotgun only. She was just inside archery range when she cleared the trees that I had sat down behind to force me to not shoot towards some houses 1/4 mile away.

Fattest deer I’ve ever dressed. Layers of tallow on the hind quarters And in the abdominal cavity as I went to get the heart and tenderloins.

684FD38E-6B5C-4D21-97BA-2CA7E63799BA.jpeg

She got her revenge as a scalpel blade nicked my finger. This is the blood on the car hood as I scrambled to find a bandaid and athletic tape.

A20A4494-CCBE-42DA-B8C2-645931699C24.jpeg

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idelkhntr13
Back