Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

As they lay

Tough to roll, eh?
There was no rolling until we got some meat off it, just had to start skinning and cutting, apropos to this thread, as it lay! Once one side was off we were able to roll it uphill. Very glad there were two of us on this one.

20211212_104109 (2).jpg

From my first muzzle loader hunt a week and a half ago. I fired the shot and because of the still air, the smoke cloud obscured my view and I wasn't sure I even hit her, despite having a steady rest on the pack and a slow squeeze of the trigger with the corsshairs right where I wanted them. The shot was right at sunset. I waited for the rest of the herd to finish their evening business and move out. I found the blood trail right at dark. I marked the spot in OnX, made a teepee of wood next to it, and backed out. That was a hard decision and I have to credit shows like Fresh Tracks and Meateater for showing that sometimes it's better to back off and let the animal pass without risking bumping them and not recovering them. Next morning I spent a couple hours following the blood trail and tracks and found this beauty. I hiked out about 200 pounds of meat (with bones). I'm so excited to have a freezer full of elk meat. It's been almost a decade since I got my previous (and first) elk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back